Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jun 2001, 14:09 (Ref:109027)   #1
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Poor Alesi!

After another struggling race, if he tried to pass Raikkonen two laps before the end, he spinned and finished on gravel trap...
Old 24 Jun 2001, 14:31 (Ref:109051)   #2
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Proof again that David acted very wise to stay behind Bernoldi.

By the way, how did Alesi manage to lose 5 positions during the first part of the race?
Old 24 Jun 2001, 14:56 (Ref:109069)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi just outbraked himself diving down the inside of Raikonnen, and Raikonnen let him do it.
An overly enthusiastic move by Alesi and clear thinking by Raikonnen. That's Racing.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 15:01 (Ref:109073)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it is. So it was a mistake, but at least he tries to pass.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 15:13 (Ref:109082)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
You can also TRY to fit a square peg into a round hole, that doesn't make it an intelligent move. Dive bombing and then slamming on the anchors is an act of desperation and one i am sure Alesi recognizes. I would never chastise someone for attempting to pass, but more often than not it is an art that requires a plan.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 17:21 (Ref:109149)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree, dumb place to pass, why not wait till Veedol? No-one else at fault other than the man himself.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 17:25 (Ref:109151)   #7
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi was the only driver to have finished every race before this race while last year he didn't even look like he was going to complete half a race neverloan finish
Old 24 Jun 2001, 18:19 (Ref:109176)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like when he gets emotional and starts banging the wheel !!!
Old 24 Jun 2001, 18:50 (Ref:109198)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He didn't lose any points with his Jacques-imitation, did he?

If there was no danger involved, and if no damage was done, I think it might be all right to do this, if the spectators like to see it.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 19:00 (Ref:109202)   #10
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I resent that off-topic reference to Jacques (Purely because it's off-topic of course )

But apart from that, I agree with you, especially if he has finished every race up until now. You've got to make attempts. That's what racing is - or should be - all about.

Last edited by R; 24 Jun 2001 at 19:00.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 20:25 (Ref:109247)   #11
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gimme a break!!

Ole man Alesi has jus gotto go!!

Why cant he get going with the likes of Mcrae and Gronholm??

Damn! He has passed his peak and cant pass the weak, anymore!!
Old 24 Jun 2001, 23:09 (Ref:109304)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
There are two Jean Alesi's. The passionate die-hard racer that could go until he was 45 because he loves it. The man that can put a car (especially in wet race) in positions it should never aquire.

Then there's the other one, the 'ignore pit instructions and run out of fuel' Jean, the fool.

Today we saw the later.

I agree he is one of those few drivers that still loves to pass, and I would'nt want that discouraged. But that was a stupid move at a stupid point on the track.

I wonder, If the positions had been reversed, what would be said about Kimi and his superlicence. It would have been branded, dangerous and "inexperienced".

Not one of your better moves Jean.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 16:50 (Ref:109606)   #13
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least he had a go. What would u all be saying if it had come off? It was one of thre most exciting moments of the race, and its good to see that there's still someone in F1 willing to have a go!
Old 25 Jun 2001, 17:14 (Ref:109616)   #14
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
I would never chastise someone for attempting to pass, but more often than not it is an art that requires a plan.
ah ha!!! now u see the whole thing about overtaking!!! it takes too long to plan the damn move (mainly because of team pressure - wanting to keep their sponsors happy etc.) that many just hope that they can make it up in the pits. im sorry but, F1 is a victim of its own sucsess sometimes...
Old 25 Jun 2001, 19:35 (Ref:109661)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi is the only real man left in Formula One. (Besides the man-in-training Juan Pablo). And I hope he keeps on driving until he's 100 years old, just to give us some reminder of what racing was like before the little boys took over and all the passion left racing ... he's a reminder of the days when you didn't win by sending your boss to beat up the other guys or tattle to the stewards, or have your contract written so you got to take points off your teammate ... you actually had to drive the car.

I hope he stays forever and if every move isn't an oil painting, at least it is not boring!
Old 25 Jun 2001, 20:36 (Ref:109679)   #16
bghaw
Rookie

bghaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LIZ you never cease to WOW me with your posts.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 21:13 (Ref:109686)   #17
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
Originally posted by economy_waffle

ah ha!!! now u see the whole thing about overtaking!!! it takes too long to plan the damn move (mainly because of team pressure - wanting to keep their sponsors happy etc.) that many just hope that they can make it up in the pits. im sorry but, F1 is a victim of its own sucsess sometimes...
Actually economy_waffle, my previous post about overtaking really encompasses all motorsports, especially open wheel racing, from karts to motorcycles to CART to F1. Motor-racing is one of the most cerebral sports in the world, where you are constantly planning, be it either pit strategies or overtaking maneuvres. As you gain on your quarry you are watching him and looking for weakness, you don't arrive on his gearbox and then start to plan. So actually i'm sorry, but your statement just doesn't hold water.
As for Alesi, I enjoy watching him race and hope to for a few more years (hopefully in CART), but this particular move in question was just not a good one. Being an experienced driver, I would think he could have done a better job of it. It's funny actually that Raikonnen the rookie proved to be the wiser of the two in that instance.

Last edited by enemy-ace; 25 Jun 2001 at 21:15.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 23:24 (Ref:109729)   #18
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Jean is still the best driver out there, and the last true racer among them. The day he leaves F1 will be a sad sad one indeed.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 23:35 (Ref:109734)   #19
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Jean was at Ferrari, I remember that Murray Walker used to describe Jean Alesi not as a French driver, but as a French-Sicilian driver...perhaps a marker as to how much he sums up to people what Ferrari are supposed to be about. Kick out TGF, we want a *real* Ferrari champ!
Old 26 Jun 2001, 01:30 (Ref:109787)   #20
Porsche_1
Rookie

Porsche_1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mjstallard,

You seem to forget that Ferrari did try to have "real" Ferrari people in the past, but they were not good enough to get the team to the top. Jean is included in this. He is driving the car that he deserves. He should quit and go to CART.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 03:00 (Ref:109800)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One day he will have a surpassing career in sports cars, and he will win Le Mans.

But meanwhile we will enjoy him in F1 and those who prefer to see the other kind of "driver" certainly have plenty to choose from.

I'd rather watch Alesi.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 03:15 (Ref:109803)   #22
Porsche_1
Rookie

Quote :

One day he will have a surpassing career in sports cars, and he will win Le Mans.

Just like those that said one day he would have a WDC in F1. For now we will enjoy the current crop of drivers, live in the present, acknowledge talent and stop living in a world of nostalgia, and what may or could have been.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 03:30 (Ref:109809)   #23
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alesi

Saying you prefer to watch an F1 car driven by Alesi would seem to be aimed at the here and now would it not. He deserves a place on the grid, some lesser drivers are still there after all. Swerve anyone?
Old 26 Jun 2001, 03:50 (Ref:109814)   #24
Porsche_1
Rookie

Amoffat,

I agree that he deserves a place on the grid, and yes he is better than some of the people on the grid. However, the pedestal that he is placed upon by some of the people in this forum is IMHO undeserved.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 07:29 (Ref:109854)   #25
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the Porsche....the ole nut shud be in Rallying, hes over-rated in ten-tenths!