Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Mar 2011, 00:48 (Ref:2842431)   #1
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren's Dolphin Nose

McLaren have pulled out another new thing at testing it seems, anyone know what it's supposed to do?

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/13268304
Old 9 Mar 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2842435)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like is houses a sensor pack for those push rods, I'd suggests something in relation to measuring wing flex/deflection.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 01:25 (Ref:2842443)   #3
cmotd
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Looks like is houses a sensor pack for those push rods, I'd suggests something in relation to measuring wing flex/deflection.

hmm, I thought it would have been some new aerodynamic concept. if I saw a bulge like that on a plane, particularly a military plane, then i would think sensors. but on an F1 car it seems a bit over the top - unless McLaren have put some radar guided missiles in their sidepods

ok i just read that it is indeed for sensors to 'help future wing development' ... how disappointing

Last edited by cmotd; 9 Mar 2011 at 01:38.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 04:59 (Ref:2842479)   #4
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotd View Post
hmm, I thought it would have been some new aerodynamic concept. if I saw a bulge like that on a plane, particularly a military plane, then i would think sensors. but on an F1 car it seems a bit over the top - unless McLaren have put some radar guided missiles in their sidepods
Did you have something like this in mind?

Old 9 Mar 2011, 05:19 (Ref:2842484)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hehehehe. I can just imagine it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothetical comments from McWhitmarsh
As is fairly apparent from the pictures of the car we are having problems with our DRS (Drag Reduction System), and we have come to the conclusion that this issue, plus poor front to rear balance is causing a tyre wear problem, all compounded by the difficulties we face housing the 2011 KERS system and its massive cooling needs.....
Old 9 Mar 2011, 05:28 (Ref:2842486)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hehehehe. I can just imagine it:
Nice.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 05:33 (Ref:2842488)   #7
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

this is from last season
Old 9 Mar 2011, 06:41 (Ref:2842498)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor View Post

this is from last season
Is that good for a caption?
Old 9 Mar 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2842533)   #9
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last season the two teams that actually cracked the front wing deal were Red Bull and Ferrari.
It shouldn't surprise anyone that these two teams are leading the rest at the beginninng of this year, especially if the others haven't managed to work it out yet.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2842583)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

ok i just read that it is indeed for sensors to 'help future wing development' ... how disappointing
Yes, I'm gutted it won't be permanent as it looks quite beautiful.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2842597)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Yes, I'm gutted it won't be permanent as it looks quite beautiful.
I think that it was designed that way on Porpoise.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2842599)   #12
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I think that it was designed that way on Porpoise.
Very good Marbot. I'll pay that.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2843518)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
McLaren need to sort out their exhaust as a first priority so it stops burning holes in things within about 15 laps.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2843546)   #14
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
two things spring to mind.......

firstly....

and secondly...

Old 10 Mar 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2843551)   #15
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Rory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The first thing I thought when I saw this on Autosport was, this is a sure sign they will be going to the limit in terms of a flexible front wing.

Quite right too. If RBR and Ferrari managed to get away with it, every aspect of rule bending has to be considered.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2843628)   #16
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
The lump is just an add-on piece over the top of the normal nose, camouflaged/faired by a contrasting colour tape. Full of instrumentation, I reckon.

The "struts" are potentiometers measuring wing flex. We can't see the bottom ends due to the end plate but I would imagine they are attached to two completely discrete elements of the front wing.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2843693)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
McLaren need to sort out their exhaust as a first priority so it stops burning holes in things within about 15 laps.
Maybe they can change it each time they change their tyres?
Old 10 Mar 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2843694)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Maybe they can change it each time they change their tyres?
That would be quite a lengthy pit stop,
Old 10 Mar 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2843699)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That would be quite a lengthy pit stop,
But they would only need one.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 02:57 (Ref:2843727)   #20
cmotd
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
or convert the heat into steam using a boiler, then redirect the steam up one of button's trouser legs to get him motivated. i don't think there are any regs about steam power in the 2011 rule book
Old 11 Mar 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2843792)   #21
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
two things spring to mind.......

firstly....

The Guppy plane is now stored at Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, about 8 miles away from me here. Mclaren have spent a lot of time there testing their road car, do you think that's where they got the idea from?

Last edited by VIVA GT; 11 Mar 2011 at 08:16. Reason: Spellllling
Old 11 Mar 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2844280)   #22
cmotd
Racer

Australia
wing flex has been completely banned by new regs this year innit? mclaren has said that the bulge is there because the airflow off the front wing is not allowing the movable rear wing to be effective in low-drag mode
Old 12 Mar 2011, 05:17 (Ref:2844320)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
wing flex has been completely banned by new regs this year innit? mclaren has said that the bulge is there because the airflow off the front wing is not allowing the movable rear wing to be effective in low-drag mode
Interesting; I wonder though why the bulge needs those 'struts'. Do they hold it in place because they look like they can move with the movement of the front wing or they could possibly move the the front wing enough to trim the airflow?

Old 12 Mar 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2844563)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it reminded me of the computer brain of a cylon raider from Battlestar Galactica. similar colour scheme too. Mclaren are truley evil.

Old 13 Mar 2011, 00:33 (Ref:2844767)   #25
cmotd
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Interesting; I wonder though why the bulge needs those 'struts'. Do they hold it in place because they look like they can move with the movement of the front wing or they could possibly move the the front wing enough to trim the airflow?

ya, maybe they are attached to electric motors that twist them around and the attachment to the wings has a screw thread so the turning motion is converted to a push/pull motion moving the wing elements around?