Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Jun 2014, 20:48 (Ref:3420074)   #1
winslade6770
Racer

winslade6770 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newbie question

Are shorts under overalls ok? I know there is a increased risk, opinions please?
Old 13 Jun 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3420101)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Increased risk to whom? Everyone else at sign on?

As is often stated, if you're close enough to a fire to need flame retardant clothing you're too close.

In Summer weather, not overheating is advisable. If that means wearing shorts under your overalls, go for it. If you end up in wet conditions, or on your knees in gravel (or worse, mud, or fuel/brake fluid/coolant) there's one layer less between stuff and skin. That may be a good thing, but may mean you have to adjust - I would say that kneeling in the aforementioned substances is pretty unpleasant with many layers on so it doesn't make much difference in the end.

Other opinions are, and will be made, available
Old 13 Jun 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3420107)   #3
winslade6770
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Increased risk to whom? Everyone else at sign on?

As is often stated, if you're close enough to a fire to need flame retardant clothing you're too close.

In Summer weather, not overheating is advisable. If that means wearing shorts under your overalls, go for it. If you end up in wet conditions, or on your knees in gravel (or worse, mud, or fuel/brake fluid/coolant) there's one layer less between stuff and skin. That may be a good thing, but may mean you have to adjust - I would say that kneeling in the aforementioned substances is pretty unpleasant with many layers on so it doesn't make much difference in the end.

Other opinions are, and will be made, available
Cheers sometimes it's good hear what the Done thing

Thanks again
Old 14 Jun 2014, 04:39 (Ref:3420191)   #4
drewchef
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
drewchef should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After overheating at my first warm spring meeting last year with jeans under my probans its always been shorts for me in the summer months.
Especially when you might need to pull on waterproof trousers as well in a rain shower.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3420886)   #5
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As we keep telling Mr Salt, only wear shorts if you have a licence for displaying those legs!
Old 14 Jun 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3421051)   #6
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don Hall wears shorts whatever the weather!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 00:18 (Ref:3421164)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only real no-no is shorts over the probans...
Old 15 Jun 2014, 02:13 (Ref:3421236)   #8
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
The only real no-no is shorts over the probans...
Works for Superman!!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 15:04 (Ref:3422061)   #9
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about "SuperGirl" (or whatever she was called)?

I've known Don Hall probably longer than I have known the new Mr T. And he (Don) has to be applauded for his shorts. As well as Mr Salt, there are a few others I won't mention (if only because names escape) who should also be congratulated on covering up their legs with probans.

Or am I just jealous as a "lady" who knows they're not her best feature?
Old 15 Jun 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3422219)   #10
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Shelagh;3422061]What about "SuperGirl" (or whatever she was called)?

QUOTE]

Would that be Wonderwoman?

Shorts under probans are fine, its just the look with the thick socks that dosent quite work
Old 15 Jun 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3422269)   #11
mattthompson79
Rookie

mattthompson79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad I wasn't alone in wondering this! Asked when I was melting at Donington a couple of weeks ago, resounding response was shorts are ok. Must admit that's been one of the best things about starting marshalling this year, finding out all the random information that gets taken for granted!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 09:09 (Ref:3422454)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recall last year at the US Grand Prix, where our overalls are provided by the Circuit. We were advised, on several occasions, that the overalls would be collected at the end of the GP and to ensure that suitable attire was worn under them at that time!
Suffice to say, some did not listen, and there were marshals on the bus home rather under-dressed!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 10:08 (Ref:3422498)   #13
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
I recall last year at the US Grand Prix, where our overalls are provided by the Circuit. We were advised, on several occasions, that the overalls would be collected at the end of the GP and to ensure that suitable attire was worn under them at that time!
Suffice to say, some did not listen, and there were marshals on the bus home rather under-dressed!
Hopefully, there weren't any 'commandos' ?

Or is the US equivalent to 'going commando' 'going Marine' ?
Old 16 Jun 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3422576)   #14
winslade6770
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthompson79 View Post
Glad I wasn't alone in wondering this! Asked when I was melting at Donington a couple of weeks ago, resounding response was shorts are ok. Must admit that's been one of the best things about starting marshalling this year, finding out all the random information that gets taken for granted!
well i thought to myself this may be a silly question, I am pleased the answer was that's it is ok as Thruxton was a little hot on Saturday!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3422764)   #15
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
I remember this happening a few Years ago at Goodwoods F.O.S........AND ON THE START LINE Marshals removing their white probans...what a sight as it started to tip down with rain standing there in their speedo's!
Old 17 Jun 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3423073)   #16
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For me, it's shorts under probans during the summer, and shorts and thermals under probans during the winter.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 19:54 (Ref:3423201)   #17
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wouldnt wear polyester or nylon shorts as they dont breathe. generally what I do is once a pair of jeans gets too holey in the knee dept they get the legs cut off and a wee hem sewed on. job done a nice pair of cotton shorts
Old 17 Jun 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3423206)   #18
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I actually go with swimming shorts, the ones with the built in "onion bag" as it were.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3423237)   #19
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*stops mentioning peeling dry skin*

*apologises to everyone*

Old 18 Jun 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3423505)   #20
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
wouldnt wear polyester or nylon shorts as they dont breathe. generally what I do is once a pair of jeans gets too holey in the knee dept they get the legs cut off and a wee hem sewed on. job done a nice pair of cotton shorts
I'm not going to ask what "a wee hem" is
Old 18 Jun 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3423530)   #21
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
I'm not going to ask what "a wee hem" is
sorry shelagh, posting using my native scots there a "wee hem" is basically folding 10mm or so of the material inwards around the bottom of the leg and sewing it so that it doesnt unravel too much. being old jeans they are generally boshed and the sewing is not exactly accurate but it is robust. yes i am a bloke tht can sew and i actually enjoy it
Old 19 Jun 2014, 06:31 (Ref:3423663)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
sorry shelagh, posting using my native scots there a "wee hem" is basically folding 10mm or so of the material inwards around the bottom of the leg and sewing it so that it doesnt unravel too much. being old jeans they are generally boshed and the sewing is not exactly accurate but it is robust. yes i am a bloke tht can sew and i actually enjoy it
And there was I thinking that "the wee hem" was the place where you secreted your "wee dram" and other assorted "wee tthings".

Just goes to show you that you can learn something new every day.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3423770)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And still others amongst us thought it might be a system for catching escaping wee... So glad of the clarification
Old 19 Jun 2014, 15:36 (Ref:3423847)   #24
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Apologies for starting this slight detour on what was a serious question!

At least any Newbie will get an idea of our "sense of humour" and hopefully learn how to cope with it!

(Married to a Scotsman, I do know what "wee" really means in the dialect, but this was too good an opportunity to miss.)

Woolley - maybe we should get together to design something for those poor folk out on a distant post with no facilities (in more ways than one, ie eating, drinking or ......) ?!