Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jul 2024, 18:06 (Ref:4218413)   #1
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Celebs on the grid.

Once again we get these assorted folk on the grid for no obvious reason. WE do teams need to bring guests to events, particularly when most people have not heard of them and some are disinterested.
What does it do for the sport, event, sponsor of even the celeb?
Is it just a freeby or are they paid to be there?
Maybe it just so Martin can make them look stupid?
I can understand if enthusiasts like Rowan Atkinson come and enjoy it but the others ........?
What about some kids from a hospice? Or some of the thousands of marshals and organisers who make all types of motorsport possible?
Old 9 Jul 2024, 18:19 (Ref:4218416)   #2
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It is a tired old aspect of F1, but it gets worse as the sport seemingly gets bigger, it is just marketing and the to be associated with aspect of the sport, it happens in all sports sadly and for some reason the people that run the sport seem to think fans are interested in it, they are not, bit it keeps happening I am sure some of them are genuine fans, and let's be fair the grid walk is about as tired now as Brundle is.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 19:29 (Ref:4218421)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
for some reason the people that run the sport seem to think fans are interested in it, they are not
You're not. I'm not, particularly, I used to love watching Brundle bulldoze in front of his German colleague from Sky, Tonya, but now it seems like he's the only one left with a roaming remit.

That said: there are literally millions of people who love watching the grid walk. They love seeing who's there, who will talk, who won't, who's so far up their own behind that their bodyguard gets in the way etc etc.

If it was genuinely not liked, they wouldn't be doing it. Sky have their fingers on the pulse of F1 fandom rather more than we might realise.
Old 10 Jul 2024, 08:29 (Ref:4218470)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Brundle has a tough job on his hands finding people to talk to. Certainly he needs to talk to who he can. Not that I watch Sky
Old 10 Jul 2024, 16:20 (Ref:4218501)   #5
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Slebs are a PITA and a complete waste of space. The only one I recognised at Silverstone was Rowan Atkinson. I know he's an enthusiast and a historic racer so I have less of a problem with him, but even so he doesn't need to be wandering around on the grid. He could be invited by whatever team and meet the drivers at a more appropriate time without cluttering up the grid.

I don't watch Sky so I don't see Brundle's grid walk these days but I did the see DC and Mark Webber struggling to push through the throng. They didn't really contribute anything worthwhile to the show.

If they got rid of all the slebs there would be room for every broadcaster to put a presenter and cameraman on the grid and there would be a chance of a few decent driver interviews, plus team principals, engineers and mechanics. That would be so much better.
Old 10 Jul 2024, 16:45 (Ref:4218504)   #6
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
If they got rid of all the slebs there would be room for every broadcaster to put a presenter and cameraman on the grid and there would be a chance of a few decent driver interviews, plus team principals, engineers and mechanics. That would be so much better.
Just before the race? If yes, expect a warm welcome IMO.
Old 10 Jul 2024, 22:06 (Ref:4218531)   #7
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
It is just something that they forgot to get rid of. I think to be honest now all they are doing it for is the snubs as Liberty and SKY can flog that to the media to keep their desperate hold on F1 clickbait stories.

I guess in the same way a tv show got new fans, this is the same, new fans like this kind of stuff,. so let them have it, I haven't watched an F1 race all year so only pick up on the stuff that doesn't happen rather than the stuff that does. And if I did it would be on catch up and with the sound off so I dont have yo listen to the worst commentator in the business.
Old 10 Jul 2024, 22:49 (Ref:4218534)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It is just something that they forgot to get rid of. I think to be honest now all they are doing it for is the snubs as Liberty and SKY can flog that to the media to keep their desperate hold on F1 clickbait stories.

I guess in the same way a tv show got new fans, this is the same, new fans like this kind of stuff,. so let them have it, I haven't watched an F1 race all year so only pick up on the stuff that doesn't happen rather than the stuff that does. And if I did it would be on catch up and with the sound off so I dont have yo listen to the worst commentator in the business.

Nobody is forcing you to watch F1 or post on this site.

Quit it with your crusade
Old 11 Jul 2024, 08:14 (Ref:4218567)   #9
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
I do not watch it, but what is wrong with still being fascinated by the rise of it's popularity? Open mouthed...

Is that a crime, I should hope not.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 09:37 (Ref:4218575)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I don't mind celbs on the grid or in the pits or whatever.

What I DO mind is Brundle or whoever is doing the gridwalk speaking to them and having a veneer thin meaningless conversation with them. I would rather he spoke to drivers and ex-drivers, or if they are not available then F1 team members, even random mechanics.

Also one of my biggest pet hates is when the TV directors cut away from the live action to show some B list celeb stood in the pits watching the race on the telly.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 09:41 (Ref:4218578)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:

For someone who admits to not watching F1, you seem to have some very strong opinions about the sport and the people who do watch it. Anyway, it's up to you.

You missed an absolutely brilliant British GP by the way, and Austria was good too. If you like F1 that is.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 09:48 (Ref:4218581)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Clarkson made headlines suggesting Mr Newey was looking for a new house in England….
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Jul 2024, 09:52 (Ref:4218582)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Jul 2024, 10:01 (Ref:4218585)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brian May definitely wasn't up for it - he rejected DC and MW's advances on Ch4 too.....
Old 11 Jul 2024, 10:21 (Ref:4218590)   #15
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

What I DO mind is Brundle or whoever is doing the gridwalk speaking to them and having a veneer thin meaningless conversation with them. I would rather he spoke to drivers and ex-drivers, or if they are not available then F1 team members, even random mechanics.

Also one of my biggest pet hates is when the TV directors cut away from the live action to show some B list celeb stood in the pits watching the race on the telly.
In the sterile world of F1 I doubt mechanics are allowed to speak to the media!
Old 11 Jul 2024, 11:19 (Ref:4218592)   #16
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If he's happy to take the freebie and get a much better experience than the paying spectators then he should accept Martin Bumble brown-nosing him. Not that I want to hear those interviews. In fact I think grid-walk interviews have had their day, partly because of the enormous crowds there that prevent the interviewers having a meaningful conversation with someone who matters.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 13:18 (Ref:4218605)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But... If you're a famous person who is only there because you're famous and it's about profile, then being available for an interview should be part of the requirements for being there.

Not that I care, I've never heard of most of them, couldn't care less that they're there and wonder why people who can easily afford to pay get preference over the fans that are shelling a load out.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 14:45 (Ref:4218613)   #18
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

Agree 100%. I have no issue with celebrities or notable people (i.e. driver relatives, etc.) being on the grid or in garages. But why does the broadcast directors/producers have to focus on them? Same with the grid walks. It's not the celebrities, but rather the broadcast producers who are pushing them into our faces.

Richard
Old 11 Jul 2024, 15:43 (Ref:4218617)   #19
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
But... If you're a famous person who is only there because you're famous and it's about profile, then being available for an interview should be part of the requirements for being there.

Not that I care, I've never heard of most of them, couldn't care less that they're there and wonder why people who can easily afford to pay get preference over the fans that are shelling a load out.
Honestly, this is a good take. I was of the opinion that they should not have to interview at all until I read this. If they're there for what is essentially marketing, then there should be requirements for it.

I also don't care about them being on the grid, but yeah, totally agree with this. Otherwise it's just entitlement.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 18:57 (Ref:4218640)   #20
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Honestly, this is a good take. I was of the opinion that they should not have to interview at all until I read this. If they're there for what is essentially marketing, then there should be requirements for it.

I also don't care about them being on the grid, but yeah, totally agree with this. Otherwise it's just entitlement.
Who governs who is allowed grid passes (above and beyond regular team staff)? I can imagine that various parties (FIA, FOM and even teams) are maybe given some allocation for them to use as they see fit. This could be anything ranging from sponsors to "friends" of the teams (aka celebrities)

Given there is likely to be a mixture of "guests" on the grid, how do you determine who are there for "promotion"? If the CEO of sponsor X for Team Y is on the grid as a sponsorship perk, are they not there for "promotion" purposes? Are they open game for an interview to be forced upon them? The teams probably doesn't want this obligation to be forced upon sponsors like that. In short, I think trying to determine who is there for promotional purposes is a can of worms.

My solution is that Team/Sporting personnel are fair game for being approached for interviews, but can say "no" as they are likely focused on their grid specific job.

ALL Guests are by default not expected to be fair game. If anyone wants to "opt in" to potential for interview, then maybe they can have a special sticker applied to their pit pass (or something similar). I can imagine that depending upon the specific arrangement, that access to the grid might be conditional to agreeing to be interviewed. For example a team might bring in a celeb on a purely marketing deal and then have them on the grid so they can speak to the desired topics. In the end, broadcast teams would be looking for the sticker (or whatever indicator) of those willing to be interviewed.

Or... to keep it simple just don't expect ANYONE outside of team or sporting personnel are expected to talk to broadcasters on the grid.

Richard
Old 12 Jul 2024, 02:32 (Ref:4218667)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally not a fan of the grid walks. My preference would be just the teams preparing for battle without the mess of people around. But if they are going to do it, presumably because people and sponsors etc do like it, then pick someone more suited to the task. Someone who has a bit more pop culture/generational awareness. This is a younger persons game right?

Not a dig on Brundle as I do like him in the booth a lot but imo the grid walk is not his best hat.
Old 12 Jul 2024, 04:12 (Ref:4218670)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Personally not a fan of the grid walks. My preference would be just the teams preparing for battle without the mess of people around. But if they are going to do it, presumably because people and sponsors etc do like it, then pick someone more suited to the task. Someone who has a bit more pop culture/generational awareness. This is a younger persons game right?

Not a dig on Brundle as I do like him in the booth a lot but imo the grid walk is not his best hat.
A job for Ms Patrick?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 Jul 2024, 04:54 (Ref:4218672)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A job for Ms Patrick?
Could be risky letting her loose around lizard people?
Old 12 Jul 2024, 08:23 (Ref:4218680)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
If anyone wants to "opt in" to potential for interview, then maybe they can have a special sticker applied to their pit pass (or something similar).
Personally I think the sticker should be applied in a 'Rimmeresque' style, leaving no room for doubt at all.
Attached Images

Old 12 Jul 2024, 13:43 (Ref:4218692)   #25
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Personally I think the sticker should be applied in a 'Rimmeresque' style, leaving no room for doubt at all.
Sounds good! Question is... what letter to use. C for Celebrity, B for Broadcast or some other more derogatory label.

Richard