Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Aug 2024, 15:49 (Ref:4222557)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone Festival née Classic

Three days of family fun with some racing going on too. Who's going to be there? I'm there all three days, if I don't get too bored.
Old 12 Aug 2024, 16:06 (Ref:4222560)   #2
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not me!
Used to go every year but since they've changed the date to August B/H which makes any travel a pain i've stopped. I also object to paying high ticket prices for the Musicians that I would draw the curtains on if they were playing in my Garden! The Music used to be fairly reasonable even saw Santana one year but it's now pretty appalling. Oh and the Spectating experience at Silverstone is beyond dire along with the rip off food prices.
Old 12 Aug 2024, 17:03 (Ref:4222566)   #3
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nor me! Silverstone, for a spectator, is simply not fit for purpose. I used to enjoy the Friday in the paddock but not at £75 thanks. Castle Combe for me. Or maybe CSCC at Brands
Old 12 Aug 2024, 19:54 (Ref:4222577)   #4
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Nor me! Silverstone, for a spectator, is simply not fit for purpose. I used to enjoy the Friday in the paddock but not at £75 thanks. Castle Combe for me. Or maybe CSCC at Brands
Absolutely agree, worst spectator circuit I've ever been to, unfit for purpose describes it well.
Old 12 Aug 2024, 23:36 (Ref:4222585)   #5
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judging by the response I think Peter will be sorry he asked the question.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 06:28 (Ref:4222594)   #6
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
As I have done for many years, I will be there for 3 days, starting at 7-30am on Friday . It's become compulsory to moan about prices and music and my response is same as ever -

- if you belong to a car club then it's cheap . My 3 day pass cost about £120 but that includes an extra ticket so it works out at £20 a day, and I park a stone's throw from the track

-the music is a bit Radio 2 for me , but it's not difficult to avoid - Silverstone is a big place....

- food . It's expensive - as it always when eating out at big events . I've eaten at everything from big rock concerts to Covent Garden , and it costs . At least the stuff is edible compered to the utterly dire fare I've encountered at some race circuits .

And sure , the track is awful compared to, say Goodwood , but here's the thing-with about 1100 cars to look at (as well as some gems in the car club areas) there is a lot to enjoy . And the day I get bored of standing feet away from a 40 strong field of DFV engined F1 cars as they file on to the pit lane is , I hope, a long time away .

Sorry , but I will enjoy myself looking and hearing wonderful machinery from 8 or 9 decades and talking to kindred spirits. And even watching the racing - there are still a few spots where you're in the same post code as the track.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 09:38 (Ref:4222604)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll see you there. I'll be parked with the JEC. Will be a bit busy for all three days (if I can last out).
Old 13 Aug 2024, 11:16 (Ref:4222607)   #8
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Used to be a great event but it became a Silverstone money spinner do prices hike, the actual cost for going on individual days is ridiculous, which I get they want you camping etc, but it really has become a cash cow, I have noticed crowds have dwindled, it used to be very busy but I expect that crowd goes elsewhere or that fad wore off.

As others have said Silverstone is such an inhospitable place now I would rather save up the pri es and do say 4 hillclimbs even club events are friendly and welcoming, this place is not anymore.#

A real shame as this must be led by management and it was never like this
Old 13 Aug 2024, 12:33 (Ref:4222615)   #9
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be there all 3 days as normal. Got my tickets when they first went on sale so works out around £36 per day, I don't think any one can complain about that!

It's just the way the world is for all events, sports, music, entertainment, the later you book the more you pay.

To give more context, a front row standing ticket for Taylor Swift is £176! So all things considered, I don't think the prices are that extreme
Old 13 Aug 2024, 12:35 (Ref:4222616)   #10
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
Used to be a great event but it became a Silverstone money spinner do prices hike, the actual cost for going on individual days is ridiculous, which I get they want you camping etc, but it really has become a cash cow, I have noticed crowds have dwindled, it used to be very busy but I expect that crowd goes elsewhere or that fad wore off.

As others have said Silverstone is such an inhospitable place now I would rather save up the pri es and do say 4 hillclimbs even club events are friendly and welcoming, this place is not anymore.#

A real shame as this must be led by management and it was never like this
I agree with your comments. I used to marshal this event for years, when it used to be Coys, and before. It was brilliant in those days. Have been a couple of times since, albeit having had passes, so not have had to pay the silly prices Silverstone now charge. Motor racing prices have crept up continuously, making real fans reluctant to go to events.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 17:02 (Ref:4222629)   #11
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I look forward to the usual displays of schadenfreude - "same cars as last year" , " crowds look small on tv " , "everything was better in 2006/1994 /1964", "that car isn't genuine " and the rest. And despite that I'll enjoy myself.

RE the crowds - to be fair the TV coverage tends to concentrate on track action and as many grandstands are closed (annoyingly ) it looks empty . But stand outside the assembly area at the Wing (also compulsory to sneer at , as if the old pits were Blenheim Palace ) and it can be four or five deep. It's busy all right

I am no apologist for Silverstone -every year it looks more like a distribution hub than a race circuit - but I thoroughly enjoy the Classic and make no apologies for doing so .
Old 13 Aug 2024, 17:24 (Ref:4222635)   #12
Mike Crow
Racer

You make a persuasive case. There is much to enjoy if you concentrate on the positives. I guess my problem is that I lack the stamina these days to seek it all out so end up sitting in the stands bemoaning the view more than I should. Hope you have a great weekend
Old 13 Aug 2024, 17:29 (Ref:4222636)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Judging by the response I think Peter will be sorry he asked the question.
Not really, this is after all, a discussion thread. Back before I was part of the track action, I took pictures. Now I'm retired I'm back wearing a bib, so I consider myself lucky to have unfettered viewing. I also get to chat with old mates and I'm making some new ones too.

I'll post my bib number and if anyone sees me they can wave or stop for a chat. Just don't throw stuff.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 18:55 (Ref:4222663)   #14
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not missed this event in 20+ years.......however, if the garages are closed off, as they were last year, it will be my last.
We used to spend the Friday wandering around the two paddocks inspecting cars, chatting to drivers and crew.
Last year all the garages were fenced off which ruined the day.
The weekend we spectate the races we want and head off to the car clubs, villlage stands etc when a less interesting race is on.
For the first time I'm probably not going to bother with a camera

Three day ticket cost £72.50 (car club 2 for 1) and camping another £50 at Woodlands.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 06:30 (Ref:4222701)   #15
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
I ignored the fencing off , as did most people . Pleasingly , I saw one FJ racer actively encouraging visitors. If it is enforced , most of my reason for attendance will have gone , as it is the event's USP. Open access works at Goodwood and it has worked for years at Silverstone.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 10:59 (Ref:4222720)   #16
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there anywhere you can view the entry lists for the races?

I've checked on the Silverstone and HSCC site but can't seem to find anything.

Possibly a tad early?
Old 14 Aug 2024, 12:12 (Ref:4222728)   #17
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooky View Post
Is there anywhere you can view the entry lists for the races?

I've checked on the Silverstone and HSCC site but can't seem to find anything.

Possibly a tad early?
MRL entries are on their website.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 18:14 (Ref:4222759)   #18
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
And there is the point let me do the sums.

75 quid on a Friday, I mean that is literally ludicrous and 100 quid either day at the weekend, costlier than any other meeting there other than F1 I think.

A three day ticket is 150, which seems OK, if like me you live locally but I cannot possibly justify going for three days. SO this event is very clearly aimed at certain people, not really at the general public for day visits, an odd policy but one that means I have zero interest in going anymore, for the one day, but they do their research and this is clearly what sells.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 19:08 (Ref:4222764)   #19
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me, because it's approximately the same price as the revival, I'd pick that every time because of it's uniqueness and I wouldn't otherwise see those cars at a club meeting (unlike many of the cars as the Festival).

It's been mentioned above that silverstone isn't a great spectator venue. I also think it's slightly disadvantaged by its size in creating atmosphere. You sort of need the GP crowd size for the place to come alive. Other events (which also includes the WEC when it ran there) really struggle to generate atmosphere - a bit like Old Trafford with 20,000 people.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 19:11 (Ref:4222765)   #20
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The online race card has dropped, heres the link and password for anyone who interested:

https://viewer.joomag.com/silverston...3074783?short&

SILFEST24
Old 14 Aug 2024, 20:02 (Ref:4222767)   #21
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
A quick grid size count:

Formula Junior = 56
Historic Touring Car Challenge = 47
F2 Classic = 22
RAC Trophy = 35
F3 Classic = 25
Woodcote & Sterling Moss Trophy = 47
Pre-War Sports Cars = 37
F1 = 32
GT Trophy = 43
Endurance Legends = 35
Sports Car Legends = 31
Pre 66' GP Cars = 50
Pre 66' Touring Cars = 57
Pre 66' Classic GT = 59
--------
Total = 576
Old 14 Aug 2024, 20:25 (Ref:4222770)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oh gawd, Boots are going to be pretty busy on Tuesday with that many cars to pap.
Old 15 Aug 2024, 06:27 (Ref:4222784)   #23
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Sounds very promising . I must remember not to enjoy myself, as seems to be compulsory.
Old 15 Aug 2024, 16:07 (Ref:4222814)   #24
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
Another point and one I find very odd, is that as I mention about pricing why would you make single day visits so over priced, their aim is clearly to get you there for three days, and that is fine, but not everyone can or wants to do that, yet the individual day prices are really rather outrageous. Odd pricing structure is all.
Old 15 Aug 2024, 16:31 (Ref:4222815)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
And there is the point let me do the sums.

75 quid on a Friday, I mean that is literally ludicrous and 100 quid either day at the weekend, costlier than any other meeting there other than F1 I think.

A three day ticket is 150, which seems OK, if like me you live locally but I cannot possibly justify going for three days. SO this event is very clearly aimed at certain people, not really at the general public for day visits, an odd policy but one that means I have zero interest in going anymore, for the one day, but they do their research and this is clearly what sells.
Those figures don't appear on the Silverstone website, so where did you get them?