Old 17 Jun 2002, 06:24 (Ref:315192)   #1
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART calendar 2003 (Portland grapevine)

Heard in the Portland paddock from team members:

- strong possibility of a race in Brazil next season. Most likely location is the Nelson Piquet circuit (Jacarepaguá road course) in Rio de Janeiro. Race would be managed by Emerson Fittipaldi. A CART person said that this is "80% sure" as of today.

- Vancouver looks increasingly likely to face the chop and being dropped from the calendar. Portlander insiders take this news as "certain".

- Portland has been confirmed to be part of the 2003 CART calendar. The track has got a one-year agreement only, though.

- news that the Northwest event could be transferred from Portland to the Seattle International Raceway are wide off the mark. SIR is undergoing improvements but its facilities are very basic (even compared to a track like Portland, which is very bare - elucidatory comparison to folks in the UK: Snetterton has much better facilities than Portland). Also, SIR continues to face pressure from neighbors due to noise complains.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 13:54 (Ref:315432)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<crosses fingers, closes eyes, and chants> VIR... VIR... VIR... VIR... VIR...

A Jacarapagua race will be very good. It's a very fast, open driver's circuit, and should suit the champcars perfectly.

Here's an old onboard I found, if anyone's unfarmiliar with the track. It's a 6mb download, so be warned. It's a good one, though. You can hear Patrese's tires squealing in protest thru these high-G corners.

http://video.f1gp.ru/tracks/jacarepagua.mpg
Old 17 Jun 2002, 15:47 (Ref:315469)   #3
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Emo Fittipaldi was quoted as saying there will be a race in Brazil in 2004. Chris Pook was asked about it on the air, and acted surprised. He said he respects Emo, but nothing has been decided. His concern right now is 2003, not 2004.

Nowhere was Brazil in '03 mentioned, even by Fittipaldi. I too would like to see them race at the unique Jacarapagua circuit.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 16:56 (Ref:315511)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nooo, Vancouver no!
Old 17 Jun 2002, 17:14 (Ref:315531)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They MUST not get rid of the Vancouver race! Its one of the best.

Last edited by Speedworx; 17 Jun 2002 at 17:14.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 19:28 (Ref:315628)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Not to sound overly patriotic, but the Canadian events are always sellouts. Montreal remains to be seen, but it will be too.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 20:48 (Ref:315677)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just because it's Greg home race!
please no, CART!
Old 17 Jun 2002, 21:24 (Ref:315695)   #8
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vancouver is the fifth-best attended CART race (not including Mexico City, sure to climb to no. 1) it doesn't make sence to axe it.

Vancouver also has a loyal title sponsor in Molson and fantastically passionate and knowledgeable fans.

When their race was threatened last year, Vancouverians (?) began a letter writing campaign to Joe Heitzler that ended up saving their race. Fans in Nazareth and Michigan had no such interest and now host the IRL.

Why **** off the loyal Vancover fan base????
Old 17 Jun 2002, 22:36 (Ref:315745)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, _I'd_ love to see a road race in BC. Vancouver just isn't a very exciting race most years. It's a shame Westwood is gone. Mission Park's way too small for CART... It's too bad, the area's so perfect for a fast, sprawling complex.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 23:18 (Ref:315768)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Sorry to post so much in one topic, but I was looking at Vancouver on Mapquest... Has Stanley Park been considered as a site for the race? The perimiter roads of the park would seem to make at least an interesting course.

I'm guessing the roads are way too narrow, but I figured I might as well ask the locals.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 01:18 (Ref:315792)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While it would make a beautiful backdrop, I doubt the locals would accept it for a number of reasons. Add to that, you'd have to cut down a number of old growth trees to make room for grandstands, etc. There's no way they'd allow that. the roads are all pretty narrow, and there's no room for run off (would have to cut down trees. Also, the main road there is probably the most important link in VAncouver - shutting it down even for the weekend would create havoc. Anyway, you get the idea...

Hopefully there's somewhere else..
Old 18 Jun 2002, 09:01 (Ref:315913)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
F***, there may be no passing, but it's always huge crowds there! Vancouver no, please!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 20:51 (Ref:316485)   #13
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been some discussions as recently as two seasons ago as to moving the Vancouver race to the airport...
Old 18 Jun 2002, 22:39 (Ref:316566)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The airport? I assume they mean some small airport somewhere.. Vancouver Intl. is just pretty much the gateway to asia for the West coast of North America...not to mention the gateway to western Canada from the east...noway it would get shutdown for anytime..even a portion of it.

There are a few smaller ones around though, that might do it.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Jun 2002, 00:16 (Ref:316596)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The current Vancouver track is rubbish. I have no problem with them racing in Vancouver as it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. But that track is very ordinary.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but have CART not been having big problems with the local Vancouver authorities for years? Wasn't this the reason for the massive track change between 1997 and 1998?
Old 19 Jun 2002, 02:40 (Ref:316637)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Hmm... Airport race?

Okay, I got bored and cooked up a pair of ideas for how to use Boundary Bay Airport, which is about half an hour southeast of Vancouver.

One's tight and slow, but safe. The other's frighteningly fast, but with some very good overtaking opportunities.

And yes, I know I need a life...
Attached Images

Old 19 Jun 2002, 02:41 (Ref:316639)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

And the other one...
Attached Images

Old 19 Jun 2002, 05:24 (Ref:316681)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm kinda with Mac- I much prefer the old layout...
Old 19 Jun 2002, 06:49 (Ref:316703)   #19
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wasn't there some discussion somewhere about adding on Adelaide as a street circuit?
Hope so
Old 19 Jun 2002, 06:55 (Ref:316708)   #20
nickkeyiu
Rookie

nickkeyiu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Portland will be on through 2003 for sure. Basically, after that, if Portland goes, then Vancouver goes. Even though it is a well attended event, CART is committed to cutting costs to it's teams, and Vancouver would be a LONG way to travel for one event. On the 2003 schedule, look for Portland and Vancouver to be back-to-back, cutting costs for teams. Beyond that, it depends on whether PIR and CART renew the contract...my sources say yes, that will happen
Old 19 Jun 2002, 06:56 (Ref:316709)   #21
nickkeyiu
Rookie

In addition, there is NO talk about moving the event from Exhibition Place.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 07:16 (Ref:316716)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Lee Janotta's airport is a 30 minute drive? Sounds very feasible and I wonder if CART has considered it. I agree that the current configuration leaves much to be desired.

Wasn't it only three or fours years ago that Andrew Craig was suggesting that Vancouver might be cut from the schedule? CART was complaining that the track layout was different every year because of major construction in the Vancouver area, and they wanted something more consistent.

And I'm not sure if the success of Vancouver and Portland are so dependant upon eachother. CART travels a long way to put on their show in Australia, for example. Of course, now that I think about it, the travelling expenses for overseas events are generally paid for by the promoter.

The more races in Canada the better. After hockey season ends, we need some excitement up here! lol. Which instinctively leads me to take this opportunity to brag that "my" Detroit Red Wings are Stanley Cup Champions! Thank-you very much.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 07:22 (Ref:316717)   #23
nickkeyiu
Rookie

During the late 90's and through the 2000 season, Vancouver was on the chopping block. However, after a re-assessment of CART's markets, it was determined that the Vancouver market is very important to the success and growth of CART in the northeast.

Chris Pook is trying to cut cost where he can in 2003, look for the schedule to be blocked by region as much as possible to minimize travel costs, one of the main complaints among team owners.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 10:24 (Ref:316815)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
travel cost... damn, Vancouver is not even overseas...
Old 19 Jun 2002, 11:17 (Ref:316858)   #25
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think an airport 30 mins drive will attract many spectators. The whole point of a street circuit is that it's in the city center and accessable by public transport.