Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2002, 02:35 (Ref:318587)   #1
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irvine Vs Button

Jaguar Racing's Eddie Irvine stirred up the silly season rumours at the Nurburgring when he told the press that he believes that Jenson Button will lose his seat at Renault at the end of the season.

Irvine made the comments in response to being shown an article in The Sun newspaper that claimed Button was chasing the Irishman's Jaguar seat and had met with the team last week.

"I've heard that Jenson's getting pushed out of Benetton [now Renault], so he needs to go somewhere," Irvine told reporters. "I'm sure he'll be up and down the pit lane trying to get in anywhere he can. It makes sense."

When told about Irvine's comments, Button retorted: "Eddie Irvine said that? Well he knows everything about this team, obviously... Where's he going to be next year?"

As far as his own destiny is concerned, Jenson said: "We've been talking to teams about next year but it's nothing too serious at the moment. It's not just the decision of one person either. There are lots of different options."

Another classic comment by Eddie....Funny to see the Brits in a catfight - sounds like DC vs Button

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=19517&s=5
Old 22 Jun 2002, 02:39 (Ref:318591)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If any #1 driver's going to be prowling the paddock, helmet in hand at Melbourne next year, it'll be Irvine! Completely useless and constantly outclassed by his teammate, who's probably paid less than the team's fuel man!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 22 Jun 2002 at 02:40.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 03:39 (Ref:318605)   #3
kwd
Racer

kwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's what going to happen, Eddie loses his job at Jag,Button jumps into his seat,DCgets ****ed at Ron and goes to Renault, Jos verstappen drives the silver arrow,Schumacher retires,Eddie gets called back to Ferrari drives a new and improved car but loses the WDC when on a Ferrari pit stop they still can't find the left rear tire in the last race of the year,SILLY? about as silly as most off season rumors.

Last edited by kwd; 22 Jun 2002 at 03:46.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 06:09 (Ref:318656)   #4
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button has already proved he's as fast if not faster than Trulli this year. He's only been beaten by him once, IIRC. Flavio wants Alonso (a fantastic driver, IMO) in the team, that's no secret. How he achieves that is another matter. He's lost ground because Button is looking better this year, so Flavio can't say "you're cr*p" anymore. Besides, Frank Williams has the contract, and he won't let Flavio get up to his usual tricks.

Eddy is just mouthing off because it's the last chance he's likely to get. I can't see him in F1 next year.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 09:33 (Ref:318736)   #5
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Eddie is another arrogant driver, who thinks he is everything.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 09:43 (Ref:318743)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon Eddie must know where his future lies already at least, he looked quite calm about the proberbility that he is going to be replaced, but not overly worried about not having a seat lined up for next season, (unless he is actually going to retire)
Old 22 Jun 2002, 11:24 (Ref:318775)   #7
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just think how much time and Money Rahal would have saved Jaguar by getting rid of Irvine a year ago. Lauda had to go the long way to do the same at the end. I am impressed....LOL
Old 22 Jun 2002, 12:37 (Ref:318838)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rambo
Button has already proved he's as fast if not faster than Trulli this year. He's only been beaten by him once, IIRC.
More like 5 or 6.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 21:52 (Ref:319207)   #9
Rambo
Racer

Nah! Jenson has 8 points to Trulli with 4. Their qualifying is pretty equal - a little in Jarno's favour (60/40), but it should be remembered that most of those were by very narrow margins: The average difference is 0.019! Trulli hasn't actually beaten Jenson when he's got to the end of the race, and in fact, he's only beaten him twice in total, by my count - barring the double DNF where Trulli racked up a few more laps.

Perhaps you should consult your memory's service chart, and see if it needs taking back to the shop...
Old 23 Jun 2002, 04:44 (Ref:319357)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only place Irvine will be next year is on his boat in Monte Carlo harbour.

Sometimes Irvine can actually say something smart and witty with a hint of truth, but too often he comes out with utter cr@p.

He really hasn't learned when his opinion is not needed, and this was another time. I'll be glad to see the back of him.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 04:49 (Ref:319361)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
If any #1 driver's going to be prowling the paddock, helmet in hand at Melbourne next year, it'll be Irvine! Completely useless and constantly outclassed by his teammate, who's probably paid less than the team's fuel man!
Irvine completely useless??? That's not fair. He's doing a Stirling job against Alex Yoong.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 23 Jun 2002, 08:34 (Ref:319429)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Nah! Jenson has 8 points to Trulli with 4.
The only reason Jenson has so many more points is because Jarno's Renault seems to have a nasty habit of dying in the arse. I seem to recall some races where Jarno was ahead of JB before retiring and Button scoring points. I think honours in the Renault camp are pretty even, maybe slightly towards Trulli.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:20 (Ref:319479)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
but he trulli struggles to bring the car home...
Old 23 Jun 2002, 13:23 (Ref:319543)   #14
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rumour has it that Ant Davidson is being linked to a test with Jag and maybe more...
Old 23 Jun 2002, 13:51 (Ref:319551)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by mac

I seem to recall some races where Jarno was ahead of JB before retiring and Button scoring points.
Jenson out drove Trulli today, fair and square!
Old 23 Jun 2002, 14:38 (Ref:319607)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Eddie muswt be as depressed as Hades. Jaguar showed a lot of promise and his move there at the time seemed to be a good one. Who knew what a mismanaged fiasco it would prove to be-FOR THREE SEASONS!

Eddie may still have a turn of speed. I think chances are even that he will either be at Jordan next year or an I-TV commnentator. If Honda drops Jordan, EJ will court the Swerve to bring the B&H money back and a Cossie in a Jordan can't be any worse than a Cossie in the back of an Jaguar/Volvo/Ford/Lincoln/Edsel.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 14:43 (Ref:319616)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Didn't realise this before, but apparently Fisi is free to leave Jordan if they don't have a works engine! A move to Sauber has been rumoured (according to autosport.com) so maybe we could see Eddie Irvine driving alongside Sato? (doubt it though!) However, i do think that Eddie will be there next year, and EERO could be right, at the behest of B&H.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 14:52 (Ref:319623)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I cannot imagine Fisi going to Sauber-what a waste of talent and the slide down the grid goes on. Remember Sauber was the way station for Herbert, Alesi and Salo on the way down.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 15:01 (Ref:319636)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
I cannot imagine Fisi going to Sauber-what a waste of talent and the slide down the grid goes on.
This is what autosport has to say about it, it could be a slide down as you say, but maybe a slide down to acheive a better seat in the long run?

From Autosport.com

Fisichella has been linked to Sauber which, on the surface, would appear to be a strange move. But, there could be something to it. Fisichella was highly disappointed when Ferrari renewed Rubens Barrichello's contract for two years.

It is possible that he was black-balled by Michael Schumacher as a Ferrari driver, not necessarily because Schumacher is afraid of him but because Ferrari would be obliged to put more effort behind an Italian number two or face political upheaval at home.

If Ferrari is contemplating life after Michael and wants to take a closer look at Fisichella, however, they might even subsidise a seat at Sauber where he would be using their engines.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 16:39 (Ref:319733)   #20
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nah! Jenson has 8 points to Trulli with 4. Their qualifying is pretty equal - a little in Jarno's favour (60/40), but it should be remembered that most of those were by very narrow margins: The average difference is 0.019! Trulli hasn't actually beaten Jenson when he's got to the end of the race, and in fact, he's only beaten him twice in total, by my count - barring the double DNF where Trulli racked up a few more laps.

Perhaps you should consult your memory's service chart, and see if it needs taking back to the shop...
So going by that neither driver has really proved to be the more superior. Trulli has been faster in a few more qualifying sessions and JB has been faster in a couple more races, whilst having the better reliability on top.

Last edited by Raven; 23 Jun 2002 at 16:40.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 18:00 (Ref:319786)   #21
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all Eddie number 1 driver, that´s probably in your anglosaxon dreams and not from all of you only in the dreams of the less intelligent ones. Anyway I am posting a article in a spanish which basically says that next week Alonso will be confirmed as a Renault driver 2003 and JB will be going to Jaguar alongside PDlR.

PS: For those of you who don´t speak spanish, learn it, did you actually know that learn another language is benefitial for the brain!!!!

Quote:
Fernando Alonso correrá con un Renault en el 2003
Marco A. Canseco · Madrid

El director deportivo de Renault, Favio Briatore, hará público el equipo para el año próximo tras el Gran Premio de Gran Bretaña. Jarno Trulli sigue, Jenson Button se va a Jaguar y Fernando Alonso coge su coche. Un piloto español luchará por fin con una de las mejores armas de la Fórmula 1.

La esperada noticia ha tomado cuerpo. Fernando Alonso disfrutará de un buen coche, uno de los cuatro mejores que hoy compiten en la Fórmula 1, y estará en condiciones de luchar con los más grandes del volante en la próxima temporada. De hecho, en la calificación de ayer, los coches amarillos estuvieron séptimo y octavo, por detrás únicamente de Williams, Ferrari y McLaren. Las incertidumbres después de un año de purgatorio como probador se han acabado y el futuro de Fernando, con sólo 21 años, se intuye ahora mismo con un esplendor inimaginable en la pequeña historia española en este deporte.

Sin un comunicado oficial, Fernando no quiso hablar rotundamente sobre el asunto, pero afirmó en Atlas F-1: “Es un poco pronto para decir nada. Yo espero correr en Renault el año próximo”.

“Button es clave”, ha estado repitiendo el asturiano desde principio de temporada y no se equivocaba. Las dudas surgieron cuando el joven británico (cedido por Frank Williams a Renault) empezó a brillar con varias carreras entrando en los puntos y, sobre todo, cuando Juan Pablo Montoya renovó por BMW-Williams, lo que le cerraba el camino de regreso y acentuaba sus opciones de quedarse con Flavio.

La prueba con Jaguar, clave
Otro de los puntos calientes estuvo en la ‘extraña’ jornada de pruebas de Alonso con Jaguar hace un mes en Silverstone. El ovetense impresionó al jefe Niki Lauda, superando a Irvine y a Pedro De la Rosa en su primera y única toma de contacto con el coche verde y se especuló con la posibilidad de que Jaguar fuera su destino, algo que Fernando siempre negó. Sin embargo, este prueba no sólo impresionó a Lauda, sino también a su patrón, quien vio la posibilidad de que el traspasable fuera Button y no Fernando.

Todo cuadra de forma mucho más lógica as*. Un inglés a Jaguar, con Pedro de la Rosa como compañero (un equipo *ntegramente español va en contra de los intereses comerciales de la firma) y Fernando ascendido de probador a oficial en Renault. En cuanto a nivel de pilotaje de ambos, Briatore sabe que se queda con el mejor. En cuanto a los coches, Fernando también tendrá una mejor máquina.

El puesto de Fernando como probador lo ocupará el francés Sebastien Bourdais, este año en el equipo de Fórmula 3000.
http://www.marca.es/edicion/noticia/...159579,00.html
Old 24 Jun 2002, 00:14 (Ref:320048)   #22
Rambo
Racer

Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by mac

I think honours in the Renault camp are pretty even
My point exactly. And Jarno made some pretty stupid mistakes today, didn't he, when JB kept his head.
Old 24 Jun 2002, 01:20 (Ref:320073)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He made one mistake Rambo, and a heap of good passes. I still say things are about even.
Old 24 Jun 2002, 01:28 (Ref:320077)   #24
Rambo
Racer

I thought he was off the track twice? Whatever - Jenson made a better start and didn't make any mistakes. He couldn't pass Kimi - but neither could Trulli. Jenson didn't have to make the passes because he hadn't chucked it off the road.

Even? Hardly.
Old 24 Jun 2002, 02:11 (Ref:320089)   #25
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin de Miguel
First of all Eddie number 1 driver, that´s probably in your anglosaxon dreams and not from all of you only in the dreams of the less intelligent ones
Martin, first of all, as an Irish driver, Eddie is a Celt, not Anglo-Saxon.