Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 9 Oct 2002, 19:20 (Ref:399573)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
da Matta artwork

Just finished another image for your viewing pleasure.
da Matta

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 9 Oct 2002 at 19:22.
Old 9 Oct 2002, 19:24 (Ref:399576)   #2
MolsonBoy
Racer

It didn't upload the first time so here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
4x5damata.jpg  

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 9 Oct 2002 at 19:25.
Old 9 Oct 2002, 21:18 (Ref:399705)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
You painted that, Molson? Superb!
Old 9 Oct 2002, 21:45 (Ref:399735)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great reflections and you can see the pattern of the carbon fibre in the highlights. That's what I try to show in my work too. Good work!
Old 9 Oct 2002, 22:11 (Ref:399762)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unbelievable! In fact, I don't believe it - that's a photo, isn't it, MB?

That really is fantastic.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:40 (Ref:400105)   #6
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Unbelievable! In fact, I don't believe it - that's a photo, isn't it, MB?

That really is fantastic.
My thoughts exactly

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:48 (Ref:400113)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beautiful indeed. Do you sell your work?
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:59 (Ref:400373)   #8
MolsonBoy
Racer

Thanks for all the kind remarks.

About my art work: My art work begins with photos that I have shot personally or by some close friends. I prefer to use my own images. I do not paint the image but use a computer.I scan the negs into Photoshop. I use various techniques to create the finished image. I usually spent between 5 to 10 hours on each image.

I know some people will say that using a computer is a cop out in creating art work. I disagree. I believe that it is not the medium that the artists work with but the creative process one goes through in creating the work.

I hope to begin selling my images but I need to check into copyright issues first.

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 10 Oct 2002 at 15:01.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 17:13 (Ref:400493)   #9
69Camaro
Rookie

69Camaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just curious...if you are the photographer, why would there be any copyright issues?
And I have to agree with all above, that is really beautiful. Please keep us informed if you start selling them. Do you have a web site yet?
Old 10 Oct 2002, 21:06 (Ref:400681)   #10
MolsonBoy
Racer

Yes I am the photographer but the copyright is a blurry issue at best. In Canada the photographer owns the copyright as soon as he snaps the picture. But if I go to sell the image, other than for media useage, I would techically be making money at the expense of the person or property. In this case of da Matta, I would be making money because of who he is a famous race car driver and Newman/Hass who own the car and CART who own the series in which the driver and team participate. CART and the teams have co ownership of any image produced at their events. So you have to play by CART's rules if you want access to their events.

Now regarding art work like what I have done the lines are even more blurry. There are lots of artists out there. Many of whom shoot photographs and paint a picture from those photos or they will purchase the image from a photographer who shoots the events. Now technically the photographer is not supposed to do that, at least according to CART's rules.

This just seems like the biggest CATCH 22 situation.

You can view some other images at:
http://indyproject.tripod.com
Old 11 Oct 2002, 16:04 (Ref:401194)   #11
MolsonBoy
Racer

I have a couple of people who are interested in selling my artwork. I plan to have something set up soon. As for the copyright I have been told that my images are no longer photographs, that it is a "freedom of expression". As long as there is a limited number of prints made most artists don't have a problem from drivers or teams. One exception is the NASCAR people, they seem to think they own everything.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 16:12 (Ref:401207)   #12
MolsonBoy
Racer

Paul Tracy

Not sure if I had posted this one.
Attached Thumbnails
ptsmall.jpg  

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 11 Oct 2002 at 16:14.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 16:27 (Ref:401217)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They might not be in paint....but they certainly look like it

Great stuff MolsonBoy

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 11 Oct 2002, 18:39 (Ref:401341)   #14
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice work MolsonBoy. I absolutely agree that "computer art" is in fact art. You're doing a great job with it.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 18:48 (Ref:401345)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Particularly if they're at decent enough resolution for printer output. I don't (yet) hang my monitor on the wall...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Oct 2002, 07:45 (Ref:404515)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i really admire anyone that can produce something like that .
Old 19 Oct 2002, 02:30 (Ref:407728)   #17
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Molson boy, I must admit that I have mixed feelings about this sort of work. Being a traditionalist in the photography side, when I see something that has been produced via a photo, it tends to take a bit away, as it can be a quick and easy job. (the Franchitti shot here as an example, took me two minutes of trying different filters) but while saying that, spending THAT amount of time working on an image shows more than a passing interest. Hope you can get to some good printing machines. The recent technology of interpolation and printers going from 200 or even 100dpi will allow you to get bigger prints than ever before from the same file.

Have fun--that IS the main thing.
Attached Thumbnails
franchitti_artsy.jpg  
Old 20 Oct 2002, 14:39 (Ref:408521)   #18
MolsonBoy
Racer

djb, I appreciate your comments. I would like to explain a little more about how I create my images.

I love photographing motorsports. I find it challenging and rewarding to capture a images of a race cars, drivers or action that the average fan doesn't get to see. I do shoot with the the idea of producing some kind of art work but more importantly I shoot to get that one great image. I have found that by thinking of the possibilities of what a image could be used for or the art I could create has made me a better photogragher. Beginning with the end in mind. The art work is the result of an idea or concept thought of prior to firing the shutter.

In photoshop I do strive to create an image that doesn't look like I applied just one filter and said "I am done!" I want to keep people guessing as to how I did that. I usually have 5 to 6 layers and the file size can be anywhere from 200mb to 250mb. I do use the filters but I also do some painting, editing the original image by removing elements that maybe distracting and enhancing others. It is the little things that take most of time I put into an image.

As for the output of the image. The final file image is flattened and is between 50mb-75mb. The high resolution (500 dpi) image is 8x10 and then resize the image to 16x20 or 20x24. My photo lab does the digital printing on glossy paper. The results are great.

I create my art work for myself and I do enjoy do it. But lately there has been some people interested in buy it. Champweb.net is opening an online store and the images will be available there.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 00:49 (Ref:412798)   #19
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just wanted to say that I have been busy and hadn't had a chance to reply. Photoshop is a heck of a tool isn't it? I've been working with it for a number of years and am always learning more about it. Especially in the last year of so because work is becoming more and more computer orientated. Good luck with the Champweb deal and any and all printing.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 20:39 (Ref:413610)   #20
MolsonBoy
Racer

djb, thanks.