Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 17 Apr 2003, 16:19 (Ref:572234)   #1
play mate
Rookie

play mate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eleventh hour decision for Kerr..

Some good news!!

I found this on the Autosport website:

"Reigning British Formula 3 champion Robbie Kerr has secured a last minute drive with the Den Bla Avis team to compete in the opening round of the International Formula 3000 Championship at Imola this weekend.

Kerr, flew to Italy this afternoon (Thursday),The Briton will not have driven an F3000 car until he qualifies tomorrow afternoon.

“At the moment it is a one-off,” said DBA team boss Paul Jackson. “It's a bit of a wing and a prayer, but hopefully we can do a deal for the rest of the year. We hope to generate some interest from this race.”

Some good news!!
Old 17 Apr 2003, 16:37 (Ref:572247)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yikes thats a do-or-die effort. Dont know the car or the track? Good luck to him if he can get off the last row of the grid
Old 17 Apr 2003, 17:15 (Ref:572275)   #3
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im sure i read that his deal had fallen through and magnusen was relaunching his singleseater carreer
Old 17 Apr 2003, 17:53 (Ref:572304)   #4
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robbie Flew out this afternoon with team owner David Sears aboard a Private Jet from Cambridge...
Old 17 Apr 2003, 19:07 (Ref:572391)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he was originally supposed to have been signed, alongside Nicolas Kiesa, for the full season, but they couldn't find the sponsorship. Supposedly this one-off will only be extended if they can find further backing, with Jan waiting in the wings if the sponsorship can't be found. Its a travesty that a gifted youngster like Robbie can't find the backing, but we are living in an economic depression (I know full well, I study economics, adn its very depressing!)
Old 17 Apr 2003, 19:37 (Ref:572417)   #6
Russfeld
Veteran

Well is F3000 that good a deal? it has a good time slot in a GP weekend but by all accounts the TV coverage isnt the best so its gonna be hard to find 1mil$
Old 18 Apr 2003, 08:38 (Ref:572894)   #7
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.robbiekerr.co.uk
Old 18 Apr 2003, 11:19 (Ref:573042)   #8
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Marc Hynes getting a similar deal and never being seen again. Dangerous risk. So many promising drivers have been made to look like idiots in F3000. Good luck to Robbie lad though.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 11:25 (Ref:573048)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yer .lets hope he pulls it all off ok .
Old 18 Apr 2003, 11:52 (Ref:573063)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
I remember Marc Hynes getting a similar deal and never being seen again. Dangerous risk. So many promising drivers have been made to look like idiots in F3000. Good luck to Robbie lad though.
That's a fair comparison, but the situation is a little different here, as Robbie is joining a top team rather than backmarkers, and is coming in at the start of the season, with no disadvantage of everyone else having had much time in the car. It would be a terrible shame for another gifted British driver to disappear.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 06:44 (Ref:574562)   #11
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
That's a fair comparison, but the situation is a little different here, as Robbie is joining a top team rather than backmarkers, and is coming in at the start of the season, with no disadvantage of everyone else having had much time in the car. .
SAme result as Hynes though sadly...

2.7 seconds off pole and the car didn't even start the race - kaput
Old 20 Apr 2003, 15:01 (Ref:574837)   #12
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shame
Old 20 Apr 2003, 15:30 (Ref:574870)   #13
Russfeld
Veteran

Champweb.net was reporting that Giebler was the first choice but couldnt raise the money
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:45 (Ref:575075)   #14
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giebler WAS the teams FIRST choice and he'd raised the funds. However do to FIA burocracy and Spin closing down for easter last wednesday, he wasn't issued with an "A" license, despite been qualified for one.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 08:19 (Ref:575384)   #15
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to Kerr, as has been pointed out, he didn't know the car or circuit and after a 30 minute practice session, he managed to get the car to 0.6 from his team mate, Kiesa, who has spent a year in F3000 already. The car was set up to Kiesa's preferences - ready to pitch you off if you even went near a kerb, ideal for Imola! I'm sure that, had his fuel pump not failed before the formation lap, that Robbie would have been able to outrace a good number of the people in front of him and probably even finish in the points. It would be a great shame if he's not allowed to prove what he could do, but if it's true that licence problems are the only thing stopping Giebler getting in the car, then we might not get to see.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 13:21 (Ref:575592)   #16
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Robbie gets a couple of chances - he merits it on natural ability, I think.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:58 (Ref:575652)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I'm gutted for him, he did a really good job in qualifying, adn is defiantely worthy of a chance at this level, or higher, more so than Kiesa or Giebler who haven't proved themselves in anything as competitive as British F3. I suppose Robbie might be another of these talented drivers who misses out due toa lack of money, but I really hope not.