Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Aug 2003, 16:30 (Ref:699673)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no Durango at Spa??

Seeing as we have a Durango team member regularly posting on this board, maybe he could bring us up to date with developments in that team, and why the heck are you giving the Spa 1000 a miss???
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:01 (Ref:699757)   #2
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Fulvio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're sad, think how I can feel.... A 1000 km race is a 3-drivers race, so it was perfect for us.... But the budget doesn't help
They told me that it's becouse they want to work on the car, but in reality it's the money.

I'm so sad about that...

Last edited by Fulvio; 26 Aug 2003 at 18:02.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:42 (Ref:699801)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
!
On the other hand, it doesn't look like you will be missing much. At least not in the prototype class...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:46 (Ref:699802)   #4
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
jet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is very sad news.
Let's hope that they find the money
to do the race in november at Le Mans
Old 26 Aug 2003, 18:51 (Ref:699811)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
And we can forget about the second chassis as well, I assume - ?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:27 (Ref:699893)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After the great run you had at Le Mans (finishing the event your first tiem there is in itself and accomplishment), I certainly hope that the $$$ can come together for you to run in November and to prepare for next year....

As all of us have been following your team and your efforts, I really hope that Durango can succeed as a team and as a constructor....we'r pulling for you...

And as I see the list for Spa (at least the one posted in the other thread), I must admit that I am extremely dissappointed in the entry list....Donnington and Monza had bigger fields....and I expected the same for this race as well....

So I'll ask:

Why one Pescarolo?

Where is Promec????

What about Goddard...especially following the announcement about the new Judd power recently????

Where has R&M gone????

A circuit with a rich history and prestige like Spa should have a strong field there...especially for a traditional distance like 1000 km. not to mention that it will be one of four showcase events in the LMES next year...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 20:58 (Ref:700009)   #7
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Promec is in the throes of an engine transplant according to a dsc source.

C**p timing if you ask me - the problem is one of power for the sodemo unit but that is less important with a longer race, of which there is only one so why pick this week to do it? Barking mad!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 21:52 (Ref:700061)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
Promec is in the throes of an engine transplant according to a dsc source.

C**p timing if you ask me
And that's being polite! The same goes for Goddard, btw. Of all races this year, I believe this is the most attractive for rent-a-drivers. Oh well, there's always Nogaro!

Quote:
- the problem is one of power for the sodemo unit but that is less important with a longer race, of which there is only one so why pick this week to do it? Barking mad!
Besides, is the BMW an engine of choice? I remember a few teams ages ago throwing it out in favour of something faster. Good luck with that.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 04:33 (Ref:700255)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fulvio
If you're sad, think how I can feel.... A 1000 km race is a 3-drivers race, so it was perfect for us.... But the budget doesn't help
They told me that it's becouse they want to work on the car, but in reality it's the money.

I'm so sad about that...
Sad news... as Jet is asking above, what are the plans for the November race at LM ?

We're cheering you, Fulvio !

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
So I'll ask: Why one Pescarolo?
Let's say... €€€ ! If not $$$...

Last edited by Fab; 27 Aug 2003 at 04:35.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 04:51 (Ref:700262)   #10
fabvt
Rookie

fabvt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just read on www.virages.fr.st that the official Courage C65 won't go to Spa either !
Just one other bad news...

Spa-Francorchamps, the world's most beautiful track !
Old 27 Aug 2003, 04:52 (Ref:700264)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by fabvt
I've just read on www.virages.fr.st that the official Courage C65 won't go to Spa either !
Just one other bad news...
Darn !

BTW, another Fab so early in the morning ? Funny ! Let's have a coffee !
Old 27 Aug 2003, 12:51 (Ref:700625)   #12
the_fury
Rookie

the_fury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they can get some more dough together. I bought a Durango umbrella at Le Mans, does that help?
Old 27 Aug 2003, 13:40 (Ref:700672)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the Promec:

Last year, they originally tested the chassis with the BMW power....

Why they went to the Sodemo-built Peugeot 3.4 turbo this year was a mystery to me in the first place....anthough I have included my thoughts in the "speculations" below

Questions abound on this one for me:

Since the chassis has a cowling that will hold a 5.0 L BMW engine from their original configuration for the car, could they be looking at a 4.0 L Judd as a power possibility? What are the actual physical dimensions (roughly) of the two engines??? Are there any major differences in height, width or length that should be noted???
After all, displacement doesn't tell the story on the physical geometry of the engine itself....

Some speculation on my part...tell me if you think I'm way off base:

In other threads, the word has been that Promec will go to the LMP2 category with their chassis....the 3.4 L Peugeot engine configuration this year would allow them to get data with a specific aero package for that size of cowling to build customer cars for 2004 for LMP...

If I remember, they were going to run Mazzerati engines in this LMP2 for next year....what size Mazzerati engine would that be????

Furthermore, this change in power (regardless of the engine) gives them the flexibility to sell customer cars in LMP1 as well, or to race for the overall wins that will help them sell cars to customers...

They did have a podium finish at Donnington, but only because the "real contenders" dropped out with mechanical problems....they were 3 laps off the pace.....something needed to be changed...why not staret with the powerplant and get rid of the Sodemo engien that Pescarolo also acknowledges as being underpowered...

Back to the questions:

Did the story about the engine change for Promec say exactly what powerplant they would go to????

Just curious.....

If they are going with the BMW engine, at least they have data from last year's testing to build from, and they can run that engine at LM in November

There has to be a long-term plan here....it is the only reason why they can justify making this change and announcement right before Spa...a big race on this year's FIA-SCC calendar, espcially in the context of next year's LMES and Spa being one of the four events...

It has to be with a specific focus on running well in November at LM-Bugatti....the stakes are high there, and it gives them more than 2 months to get the change made and to test and tweak it for that big race...

Old 27 Aug 2003, 13:43 (Ref:700675)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
There has to be a long-term plan here....
I've been thinking that for years - "but surely, they must know what they are doing!"
As if.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 27 Aug 2003 at 13:44.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 14:14 (Ref:700704)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
"Personally, I think they should have picked a direction and stuck with it....

Why test the BMW power, only to switch to the Sondemo that has been underpowered compared to Judds, Fords, etc. in that class, then change back to BMW or to whatever within one year...

Seems like they don't know what they are doing...or they are making poor choices for power....

Do we know what engine they will run???

is it the 5.0 L BMW???

Is there an engine from Mazzerati that can be competitive in the LMP1 category that they want to try, since they will allegedly have a relationship with them for the LMP2 project for 2004???

This just opens up even more questions for me....and they don't seem to have a webstie that I can find to ask them these questions....

Your thoughts????

Old 27 Aug 2003, 14:37 (Ref:700722)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW...sorry about mis-spelling "Maserati" in my last two posts...

But the "ZZ" key is right below the "S" key and mine sometimes sticks or "stutters"....

Old 29 Aug 2003, 14:37 (Ref:702720)   #17
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Fulvio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW engine is prepared by Armaroli, an italian company. The engine wheight more and is not very competitive [also Durango started with that engine... before swithcing to Judd], but is cheaper and it's easier to to work on it [you can easily imagine that a home-prepared car with a low budget is not iteresting for Sodemo or evetyone else.... so you get the worst engine they have in factory...].
I think that Gianfranco Trombetti has a big budget... like every italian racing team [except for Ferrari, obviously...], so they swiched to a less competitive but cheaper engine....

About us... it's very sad staying at home knowing they're racing in Spa... let's hope better for Nogaro [they said they will work also on the second car... but as you saw during the year, their promises have never been very realistic... ].
Talking of the Le Mans 1000 km in November I hope the best, but expect the worst... I've received enought promises by now... I will say yes only when I'll be IN the paddock!