Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think about online forums for Marshals
Best thing that's ever happened to us! 29 64.44%
Probably not a good idea & presents a bad image for potential new marshals (ok ok I'm still here though!) 3 6.67%
No strong feelings - I just hang here because it's better than working 6 13.33%
Small Aubergine 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Aug 2003, 07:32 (Ref:676871)   #1
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Walking a fine line........

I was browsing through some threads and came across the "that bloody website" comment.

It's an interesting one.

As marshals, we walk a very fine line. On the one hand, we need to get together, share experiences and issues and basically share our joys and woes with people who can understand.

On the other hand, we're all very aware that recruitment is not what it could be and that too much negativity could drive potential new marshals away.

Then there's the "political" aspect. I personally have been on the receiving end of this one - both for comments I did make and for comments that I was alleged to have made (and didn't). Observer has had problems too for making his feelings felt. So have a few other people.

Having said that, I get the distinct impression that inter-circuit/country marshal relationships are greatly improving as a direct result of contacts made on this website.

After all, we had 40 UK marshals over for the BTCC this year - many of whom post here. I wonder how many of them would have considered coming before the 10-10ths forum existing? Or had even heard of Mondello for that matter.

I know I would never have considered volunteering to marshal at any UK circuit - particularly one like Brands Hatch! - had it not been for the people I've met here.

So it seems to be a double edged sword. Overall, what do you think?

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 1 Aug 2003 at 07:35.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 08:35 (Ref:676907)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Why am I not surprised that everyone is voting for the aubergine....
Old 1 Aug 2003, 09:01 (Ref:676927)   #3
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, from the point of view of a non-marshaling outsider, I'd say it's a good thing to get to know the Orange forces, but there tends to be a bias towards the more negative, moaning type of threads, which doesn't reflect too well. It's interesting though to read the threads about what goes on behind the scenes and see how meetings are run, and what life behind the tyre wall is like.

Also, (and I'm prepared to be flamed for this!) in the past there has been some friction due to the fact that marshals tend to post only in the marshals forum on this site. This has got better recently, but in the past it has seemed that marshals only wanted to talk to each other, which could be offputting for people who'd otherwise be interested in joining.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 09:10 (Ref:676942)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good poll EP, personally I have some concerns about the way we portray ourselves on here. I'll post more after the weekend. Let sensible debate commence!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 09:38 (Ref:676963)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It's an interesting poll EP.

I have heard mixed comments regarding Ten-Tenths. For example it didn't seem to be that well thought of at an after dinner speech made at the BRSCC Dinner & Dance this year, and yet other comments I have heard from other sources seem quite positive. To some extent this is going to depend on the topics under dicussion at any one time.

One thing is for sure, the organising clubs, MSA and other organisations within motorsport DO read these pages and I like to think some of our moans etc have been answered as a result. For example, the vast improvement to the GP campsite this year. How much of that could we have expected had the discussions not taken place on these boards? It was by the very nature of the complaints and threats of abstention that I believe the improvements were undertaken. If that is the case, then Ten-Tenths has been of help.

On the more positive side, I believe Ten-Tenths has helped in recruiting new marshals or at least in portreying them in a good light. It has helped driver/marshal relationships no end, each being more aware of the others frustrations/problems. In fact, we have seen I believe a significant increase in the number of drivers who have taken the step of marshalling to gain licence signatures and I would like to think this is because they have felt 'more at home' doing so after talking on here first.

Gradually, marshals are starting to post in other forums and to make (hopefully) meaningful comment and adding to the depth of Ten-Tenths. Bear in mind that the Marshals Forum is relatively new and I think it has done a tremendous job and had an overal positive impact on motorsport.

Unfortunately clubs like the BMMC, BRSCC, BARC etc do not have a discussion forum and therefore members have found it rather difficult to air their views without having to write to the clubs themselves. Maybe the clubs will read this and decide that they too wish to have a similar medium to communicate better with their members. This is not a slight on the clubs, just a simple observation on my part.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 09:42 (Ref:676969)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Maisie I think your comments are very well founded and are not inflamatory at all. But, as the Marshals Forum grows then the members will gradually drift into other forums and add their views. It's interesting to see how many drivers post in the Marshals Forum these days, the numbers grow day by day.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 09:43 (Ref:676971)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I think the forum has been more beneficial than not. As drivers like Bob and pals join us, we're gaining valuable information on how drivers view us and what we do - and getting the opportunity to explain to them why we do things a certain way. The current issue of a "blind spot" flagpost is an interesting one and I wonder if we'll hear reports of other points at other circuits that might need a re-think.

As for clubs having their own fora, I think there's a slight conflict of interest that isn't to be found on a non-affliated forum like 10ths. The priority with any marshals club website is going to be presenting themselves in the best possible light - and that doesn't lend itself to frank discussion about any issues that may be occurring.

The level of communication between marshals who do different disciplines, are members of different clubs, only marshal at one or two circuits and/or live in different countries has been something that I've valued more than anything else.

I've made a lot of friends here and gained the benefit of countless years of marshalling - something that I could not have done any other way. It's also given me the opportunity to marshal at different circuits and know that when I'm going there, I'll know at least one or two people.

I wonder if anyone else has marshalled somewhere or something different as a result of contacts made on this board?

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 1 Aug 2003 at 09:45.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 09:54 (Ref:676980)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yes me. I have marshalled at Thruxton and Snetterton, both as a result of discussions here in Ten-Tenths!

I think you make another very important point when you say that marshals from different circuits have 'gotten together'. It was certainly my experience before joining Ten-Tenths that we didn't mix too well, or maybe I should say too often?
Old 1 Aug 2003, 10:54 (Ref:677029)   #9
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I notice SG, that you refer to the difficulties of airing views back to the clubs. This was also a problem for drivers, but has been greatly relieved, particularily by the BARC by the widespread introduction of the drivers rep. Couldn't you guys do something similar.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:00 (Ref:677032)   #10
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EP - This forum is the most sustained contact I've had with marshaldom after some fifteen years of racing. It has usually been fleeting and expensive in the past !!

It has persuaded me to commit to spending a day on the flags sometime this year and also presented the opportunity to discuss and comment on subjects that are of interest & concern.

If this site puts anyone off marshalling, you probably didn't need them in the first place. Marshals should be grown up boys/girls capable of forming their own opinions and making their own decisions depending on their marshaling experiences. If they ain't mature enough, I don't want them to be the first person to me when I'm wedged downside up in the tyres....We would probably not hit it off !!

If this site serves only to ensure that a mandatory packet of fags is held at each post for stricken drivers, it will all be worth it.
Long may it continue.....
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:05 (Ref:677036)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I think the problem (if indeed it is a problem) with that Bob is the lengthy process.

Ease of contact and the ability to openly discuss matters are, I believe, the reason Ten-Tenths and other sites have taken off over the past few years. The internet affords us the ability to have almost real time discussions rather than the old route of writing letters and waiting for replies. The other benefit is that everyone who is a member can see your letters, where under the old system, letters were of course by their nature, confidential. I suppose in some cases you could argue that confidentiality is a good thing, but by using internet discussion forums such as Ten-Tenths, your views are aired openly and quickly and to a wider audience. Unless each club were to open a medium such as this, open discussion becomes almost impossible.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:13 (Ref:677043)   #12
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with all you say about 10/10ths, the rep suggestion gave you the route to the people who you would want to instigate any changes, rather than rely on them reading these columns and hopefully taking action.
I have found that since operating as a drivers rep BARC officials have always been happy and patient enough to listen to anything I have to say be it on the day or by phone or e mail between meetings. It just seemed like it could be good idea for you people
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:17 (Ref:677046)   #13
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I voted "Best Thing...." simply beacuse I now know more marshals than ever before from "Other" parts of the Country.
EP mentioned that I've got into bother for airing my views on here. I've not actually been b*ll****d
as such by anyone but I think a couple of individuals took my comments in the wrong way.
Anyway, all that's water under the (Pedestrian/Bailey/Warwick) bridge.
Ideally the BMMC would have a forum where all it's members could air their views and possible the bigger clubs too....BRSCC/BARC.
Nothing will ever get "Put Right" by our comments posted here but it's interesting to determine whether you are alone in your feelings on a matter and this is the ideal place to find out!
Most of what is posted on this forum is really just "Chit-Chat".....it's a bit like standing out on the bank - putting the world to right - but in the comfort of your own home/office etc.
I've taken the decision to stay here but am trying to steer clear of anything a bit iffy!
Most of the time I try to be a little light-hearted and amusing in my posts......doesn't always work, as some people's sense of humour isn't as warped as mine.
Happy Dayz!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:24 (Ref:677052)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I visited this forum before I became a marshal (i had almost made up my mind but was yet to sign the form) and I have to say it didn't put me off one little bit!

It was nice to see that if anything went wrong or something funny happened there were people here to share those experiences with. Also it is nice that when things do go wrong that there is a lot of support here!

I like this place and it wouldn't be right without it!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:33 (Ref:677062)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Bob, it seems the obvious answer is to do both. Use the forums and the 'normal' channels
Old 1 Aug 2003, 12:18 (Ref:677113)   #16
nunga
Rookie

nunga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd never have started marshallig if it wasn't for the forums where i read these great experiences from the other marshalls. Then i was able to speak to one who put me onto another guy from the forums who was from my same city and it all started from there. I think it's also good that we can discuss rules etc and what we know and think. But here also interesting reading about what happens in the UK from most of you.

Also would never have known we have a tv star moderator [:P]
Old 1 Aug 2003, 12:22 (Ref:677124)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
*blushes and bows*
Old 1 Aug 2003, 12:29 (Ref:677129)   #18
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This forum has helped me no end since I started marshaling last season, I have picked up helpful hints and enjoy contributing towards the discussions. It's also good to see drivers/mechanics and other people involved in motorsport taking more of an interest and learning about what we do and why. I would be lost if I didn't have the forum to read everyday!!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 13:30 (Ref:677208)   #19
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well I assume it's good news when "aubergine" outweighs "bad idea" in the voting stakes!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:14 (Ref:677246)   #20
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was told a couple of months ago that "forums(in general not just this one or in motorsport)" are fine when everything is going well, but have a small problem and it makes it look the sh 1 t has hit the fan.

I agree but I think at least "Forums" give us a chance to try and caught the sh 1 t before its to late & then set about cleaning the fan off
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:17 (Ref:677249)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Eloquently put my dear.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:25 (Ref:677256)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I think that's true to a certain extent, in that smaller problems sometimes seem bigger than they are. But there has been some very serious stuff gone on over the last couple of years and the bits of it that we shouldn't discuss in public, we didn't. I do know that people were put into contact with others that they could talk to though. So I think it balances out. It's a chat forum yes. It has some b1tching, yes. But it's also a support network of like minded people who genuinely do understand and care about each other. I don't think you can put a price on that.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:53 (Ref:677273)   #23
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm finding this forum a godsend for my current plans to sign up with the BMMC very shortly.

I can pick up bits and pieces by reading these threads and know what to look out for.

As a newcomer (not even quite that yet!) it makes it all seem a bit less scary. At least I know a little of what to expect! Or do I?
Old 1 Aug 2003, 16:49 (Ref:677332)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's great.

I've met loads of people I wouldn't have otherwise, including a trip to Brands, and soon to Gurston.

I've found out what opinions I share with others and what are different, and where I've been put right, I've taken it on board. Where there is much agreement, I've gained the courage to speak up to the higher powers.

I've learned a number of useful things about what others do and how I can improve some of what I do. I've gained information about camping, foreign circuits and other things I couldn't have found out anywhere else.

I hope I've never offended anyone - disagreed perhaps, but never upset them. If I have, I apologise.

Despite some of my negativity with the organisers of late, this site has enhanced my enjoyment of my chosen hobby. Long may it continue.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 17:25 (Ref:677354)   #25
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These forums (fora?) are definitely a very good idea. I am not new to marshalling (14 years) but am new to 10-tenths and have found the marshal's and some of the driver's forums to be both extremely interesting and more than mildly amusing.

I do have one question though - how do we get to know who we all are in the "real" world? I know that I have marshalled with 10-tenthers over the season but have only realised this when I have read their comments here the following week. In a different thread EP mentioned 10-tenths patches - are these still available?