Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Aug 2003, 08:27 (Ref:685880)   #1
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charges for Camping ? O.P.Gold Cup

Just received my final instrucrions for the Oulton Park Gold Cup Meeting.

For marshals and their familys camping over it seems you will be charged £5.00 each for camping over !

Before I go well north of balistic does any other circuit charge for camping?

Thin orange line has now getting thinner

Ian
Old 12 Aug 2003, 08:57 (Ref:685912)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ian,
The way I read the notes are as follows:
Marshals camp for FREE - on production of their MSA Licence. Guests of the marshal (Wife, Hubby etc)have to cough up £5 PLUS be in posession of a valid TWO DAY pass.
This will be an Oulton Park (Or Group) decision and nothing to do with the organisers.
I still think it grossly unfair however.

I bet many marshals will be making a weekend of it and be bringing the family - possible unaware that they are going to get stung for a fiver for each member of their clan who's not a licence holder!

Mark

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 12 Aug 2003 at 08:59.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 09:34 (Ref:685959)   #3
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should turn round when they get to the gate and say **** that.....
No way I would pay for my family to come with me when I am out of pocket by going there in the first place.....
This is a classic example of why marshals are not going to meetingsand somebody in authority should take action and sort this out...........
Old 12 Aug 2003, 09:52 (Ref:685981)   #4
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just camp outside like a travellers camp
Old 12 Aug 2003, 13:10 (Ref:686181)   #5
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I seem to remember Brands trying the same trick at the CART race. When they realised how many people were prepared to turn around and go home it suddenly became a "misunderstanding". It seems that before Octagon flog the circuits off for housing developments, they're determined to destroy what little goodwill is left between them and everybody else in the motor racing world.
What really makes my blood boil is that just as we have some potentially positive publicity for marshalling, along comes a stunt like this. Makes you wonder why we bother really.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 13:28 (Ref:686207)   #6
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless of how dedicated you all are and how much you would really like to marshall at any particular venue, if this sort of thing arises there is really only one option.... Talk with your feet!!!

Do you all realise your worth??? Sometime I am not sure that you all do.. If this were a full time job your employer would not be able to get away with the long hours and no lunch breaks etc.... So why do you all continue to let yourselves be treated this way??

Come on guys, the only way things will change is if you make a stand.. I know that many have done just this and I applaude you but the message is still slow to filter through..

And yes I know I am only a marshal's wife, but it affects me just as much as it does you. If it is a long meeting then I dont see my hubby and neither do the kids. But these days he takes the time to think about the effect on the family as well as himself and reminds himself the "this is a HOBBY and it is meant to be FUN!!"

As for the event in this thread.. IMHO... Dont go!!
Old 12 Aug 2003, 14:55 (Ref:686274)   #7
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last Straw ??

If I were competing at an event and heard that some pillock was trying to charge you or your families anything, for anything, I would fully support your actions even if it included an about turn en masse and the cancellation of the event.

Wher do the circuits find idiots from ?? There must be a school for small minded pettiness somewhere.....

I have suspected that the circuits are pricing racing out because they make more from track days & corporate events. This would seem to support that.......
Old 12 Aug 2003, 15:22 (Ref:686292)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right then!
I now have it on very good authority that Marshals and their families WILL NOT be expected to pay for camping at this or any meeting at Oulton Park.
Obviously, non-marshalling members of families WILL need to show a ticket for the event, but these can be obtained from the Chief Marshal by sending an SAE!
I hope this clarifies the matter!

Mark
Old 12 Aug 2003, 15:40 (Ref:686308)   #9
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
I also have it on good authority that what Mark says is true!

So please camp over at the best event of the year!!
Ian
Old 12 Aug 2003, 17:18 (Ref:686405)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark, just a question to establish facts here. It sounds like your original details said there would be a charge, but you've now queried it, and they say that's not what they meant.

Was that not what they meant when they sent it, or just because you queried it?!
Old 12 Aug 2003, 21:38 (Ref:686649)   #11
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley

Was that not what they meant when they sent it, or just because you queried it?!

either way, could someone who is OFFICIALLY connected with this meeting confirm it, with a telephone number for contact, before I make my committment please?
Old 13 Aug 2003, 07:48 (Ref:686882)   #12
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
either way, could someone who is OFFICIALLY connected with this meeting confirm it, with a telephone number for contact, before I make my committment please?

I have had news from O.P. that no charges for Marshals will apply as long as you follow Observer's remarks.

Oulton Park does not read this forum

I want to swell marshal numbers not send them packing.

I certainly did not want to start WW III

Please come to the best meeting of the year

Ian Lewis
Old 13 Aug 2003, 08:57 (Ref:686920)   #13
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Lewis

I have had news from O.P. that no charges for Marshals will apply as long as you follow Observer's remarks.

Oulton Park does not read this forum

I want to swell marshal numbers not send them packing.

I certainly did not want to start WW III

Please come to the best meeting of the year

Ian Lewis
If you have any questions please contact Chief Marshal
Alistair Garrett.
Ian