Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:16 (Ref:717425)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Monza: no. of stops.

In the (sort of) old days it was fill it to the brim and go for as long as possible. 1 stop. Track position was all on this track that overtaking isn't actually as easy as you might think.

Last year was won with a two stop, which I guess might be the quickest strategy. And remember what Renault got a fourth by playign with fuel.

So is anyone trying something odd?

Who is light. Was this qualifying session exciting (well the last three or four runs) or was it just artificial.

Are Michael, Montoya or Kimi kidding themselves because they ran a light load?

My guess is two stops, with some felxibility built in.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:21 (Ref:717437)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brundle said Renault might be trying something different. I'm not sure spinning at T1 was the plan though...
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:22 (Ref:717440)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you're right Adam - a flexible 2 stop is the ideal. Some may have sacrificed some flexibility for a lighter load and a short first stint, though.

It takes a long time to stop at Monza, so 3 stops is a less attractive proposition.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:22 (Ref:717441)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trulli is running light i think. Who else can win?? JOS?
so wont make a big diff. as long as JPM Kimi RB and MS are on the same fuel load!
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:28 (Ref:717445)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
McLaren traditionally run long, but I'm not sure here. The gap between Kimi and the others doesn't seem unreasonable taking into account the diference between the cars.

Comparing with Q1, you'd guess that Montoya was running more fuel than Schumacher. However this is probably unfair. The Ferrari has quite often been quicker over the weekend (and the weeks before) round Monza. Also Michael's lap was good.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:29 (Ref:717447)   #6
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if any of the 3 do a three stopper they do it at the expence of they own Title
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:31 (Ref:717452)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Just for reference. Equal stint lengths give us this split in a 53 laps race:

1 stop: 26/27
2 stops: 17/18, 35/36
3 stops: 13/14, 26/37, 39/40

I'm not sure 3 stops are really on, but if they were then it wouldn't take much to be flexible between 3 or 2 stops. (Never is really).

Flexible 1/2 might be on. A short first to stay close to the 2 stoppers on the grid, but then do a 1 stop? I don't like this either. They used to like running long on a one stop and stopping afterwards.

I think 2 stops, maybe someone will try a lap or two less of fuel for the sake of qualifying.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
if any of the 3 do a three stopper they do it at the expence of they own Title
I agree.
I'd be surprised any of these got changed to a three stopper. Perhaps if someone gets into the lead and builds a big lead early, but I still doubt it.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Sep 2003 at 13:35.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:42 (Ref:717470)   #8
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I think Ferrari did it last year or the year before and it cost them the race lets hope they have learned
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:47 (Ref:717476)   #9
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon that Monty and Schumi are on the same kinda strategy, with Rubens running a tiny bit heavier, p'raps in the hope that Rubens could get ahead of Monty (or at least stay ahead of Kimi) and hold them up during Schumi's pitstop.

I don't think Gene is running light...gut feeling, so I'll be proved wrong tomorrow.

Also, I'll be keeping an eye out for the Toyotas.

Boom!
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:53 (Ref:717492)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
1 stop: 26/27
2 stops: 17/18, 35/36
3 stops: 13/14, 26/37, 39/40
There is no way someone will make an extra stop (2-3) to save 4 laps of fuel.

Renault went for the early stop (as though it was a 3 stopper) and then continued as though it were a 2 stopper. I think we will see that again.

All the front guys are on early 2 stoppers I think (about 15/16 I think) with the Macs (especially DC) coming in last. Would'nt suprise me if DC was on late 2 or one stopper, for strategy purposes.

The rest, who cares really, but I would think the BAR's are heavier then Jaguar or Toyota.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:57 (Ref:717499)   #11
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
BAR'S heavier Than Jag's and faster! Wrex are you trying to upset me
Old 13 Sep 2003, 14:00 (Ref:717501)   #12
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
The rest, who cares really, but I would think the BAR's are heavier then Jaguar or Toyota. [/B]
I hadn't thought about the BARs...hmmm, dunno what to make of them. They're a fair way back from pole (no surprises), but they aint too far awy from Toyota or Jag: that's by going by JV's lap though. I hope Mr Button's lap was a stonker, and he'll throw up some surprises tomorrow
Old 13 Sep 2003, 14:00 (Ref:717502)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Sorry, other way around
Old 13 Sep 2003, 14:00 (Ref:717503)   #14
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there are other variables to be kept in mind - rain doesn't look on, but it is possible for there to be a safety car early in the race. Those first two chicanes are road blocks and if there is a multiple car accident, that could lead to a few laps of safety of even a restart.
I'm sure the teams factor these things in.
Another non-fuel related factor is Marc Gene. As far as the championship goes, he doesn't exist, but if he gets a good start he will be in the thick of the action interfering with Kimi at least.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 15:02 (Ref:717552)   #15
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that two stoppers are the way to go at Monza, i would be suprised if anyone opted for the three stop strategy.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 19:44 (Ref:717730)   #16
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would have liked to have seen someone take a gamble on a one stopper, just to have seen how it panned out though it is far too big a risk to take with the title at stake.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 19:52 (Ref:717740)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Imo, the pit lane is too long for the big boys to try a 3 stopper.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 19:57 (Ref:717747)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the pit lane really that long though? From what i remember the entrance is quite short its just that the cars are going so much faster on the main straight than in the pits (which is true of anywhere but Monza is a little bit faster than most places!)
Old 13 Sep 2003, 20:07 (Ref:717771)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think msot peopelw ill runa 2-stop. Alonso will now probably fill up and do a one-stopper, with damage limitation the name of the game.

3 stops would be a silly tactic here, and I can't see nay of the top teams trying it. I thought Toyota might, but judging by the grid spots I don't think so.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 22:38 (Ref:717901)   #20
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wrex
There is no way someone will make an extra stop (2-3) to save 4 laps of fuel.

[QUOTE]

Someone forgot the Minardi's and Toyotas. Toyota often seem to start the race with a teaspoon of fuel.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 00:21 (Ref:717941)   #21
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by mjstallard
I hope Mr Button's lap was a stonker, and he'll throw up some surprises tomorrow

Define stonker.