Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1037968)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota: Ralf's Better than Juan

Toyota Motorsport President John Howett has justified the team's signing of Ralf Schumacher saying that he's probably a better driver than Montoya.

"From my point of view we were just looking in the market place and I think during the course of last year, and a number of races this year, Ralf has proved to be as quick as Montoya, if not quicker. As a total package, we think he is probably better," Howett told Speedvision and pick up by Planet F1.

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_16570.shtml

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 16 Jul 2004 at 10:15.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1037980)   #2
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Toyota: Ralf's Better than Juan

Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
As a total package, we think he is probably better
"Probably" better? He doesn't sound too sure to me, surely he should be saying thing's like "Ralf's the mutt's nut's. He's far and away the best driver available".

I'm sure he doesn't mean to damn with faint praise but one could read it as such
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:31 (Ref:1037985)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oops another "Ralf bash fest" on its way.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1037990)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't disagree with them IMHO Ralf and jpm are equal in talent
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1037994)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is being a couple of nuts on a mutt a good thing?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1037995)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It pains me to say it, but as far as technical stuff goes I think he does have the edge - Montoya struggles more frequently to find a set-up and often resorts to trying stuff at the last minute. Montoya is inclined to drive around a poor car, whereas Ralf will either make the car better or sulk if he can't.

On the other side of the coin, Montoya doesn't seem subject to the fluctuations in form and temprament that have characterised Ralf in recent years.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:50 (Ref:1038011)   #7
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Of course they will say that he is better, they are paying him a fortune, not other drivers, and have to justify his hiring.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:59 (Ref:1038016)   #8
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
Is being a couple of nuts on a mutt a good thing?
Erm, yeah. P'raps its a British thing.

I wasn't meaning to bash by the way, I don't think Ralf's the best but he's not the worst either and let's face it Montoya couldn't even beat Sly Stallone in a champcar so....
I just thought the guy could have been a little more effusive about the chap they've just hired for a huge wedge to drag them to the front of the grid.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1038020)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't say I agree with Toyota on that score. Ralf has quick races but is far too inconsistant, especially on raceday itself. He's also prone to msitakes and doens't always seem to work hard enough. In his favour he's a better development driver than Montoya, and may be easier to work with, but there's no way he deserves the kind of salaries he repeatedly gets.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1038027)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Technically Ferrari shouldnt pay M.Schumacher as much as they do because if he wasnt running Rubens would be leading the WDC
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1038028)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Time will tell on this one.

Maybe Ralf will rise the challenge of a new team and hit a consistent run of form, or maybe Toyota will continue in the same vein and his head will go down.

Finely balanced, could go either way IMO.

As for Toyota in general, to my mind it's still an 'if' not 'when' they will get it right.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:17 (Ref:1038033)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They feel the need to justify their choice to the world and 'Probably' is the word they used ??

Isn't this just dumb.Toyota make a great move to secure mike G to build world class cars then show they have no idea once it comes to driver hiring.
Can anyone else see them continuing to make more stupid decisions in future?
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1038038)   #13
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the basis of this season, I'm not 'big' on either.

However, in the past I would have gone for JPM but my guts now say if I had to pick between them, Ralf would be a less problematic choice.

With Monty you get too much 'hot' and 'cold'.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1038042)   #14
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO this year Ralf has done better job than Montoya only in Canada. Melbourne was quite even, JPM overtook Ralf soon after the start but was left behind in the round of pit stops.

Then there's two races which are too difficult to say, which of them was better. Those are Nürburgring and Indianapolis, as Ralf retired both within 10 laps.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1038049)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They've signed the best driver for themselves if they think that. Everyone's happy.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 12:13 (Ref:1038085)   #16
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you have to be "blind or stupid" to think that Ralf is better than Juan. Juan has blasted and over the course of them being teammates. Look at all those poles he took in 2002. Look at that drive he had in Germany. Look at the pass he put on Micheal last year....he's the only one to do so.

Not to take Ralf's abilities because he's clearly got skill. As others have pointed out Ralf's skill goes out the door when he's given a poor car to drive. Unfortunately in F1 90% of the time you don't get that ideal car to drive for the race. When Ralf gets that setup he's as quick if not quicker than anyone else out there. I.E. Europe and France last year in beating JPM by 13 sec and 16 respectfully. However the flipside is down right disasterous (Spain last year) and a lot less than awe-inspiring.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 12:16 (Ref:1038086)   #17
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also want to add that I hope he fares well at Toyota and helps bring them up the grid. I think he's probably a little more team oriented than JPM and will try to help the team give him that easier car to drive or that car that tailors to his driving style. I think Toyota will build a decent car now that Mike is there and with that engine in there we could finally see what Ralf's really made of. But given what we've seen thus far.....Ralf is definately second to JPM. time will tell.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1038089)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think they've got themselves one of the top 3 drivers to race a Williams this season, so it's not bad all round.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1038343)   #19
nickF1
Rookie

nickF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to J. Clopatofsky, who was the only motor sport jounalist in Colombia before the Montoya Phenomenon, Toyota approached Juan before Ralf. He wrote that in a Column in a colombian newspaper. At the middle of last year Juan had both McLaren and Toyota Offers at hand, and apparently the offer from toyota was very atractive in $$$$.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1038383)   #20
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure it was and will probably be in terms of pace in a couple of years. Ralf and his agent are not stupid they must believe in Toyota's ability to 'cut it' given time.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:36 (Ref:1038448)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I should imagine that Ron Dennis would say that JPM is a better driver than Rafe.

Imo, JPM's definatly made the better career decision (or Ron has made it for him by signing him).
Old 16 Jul 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1038514)   #22
Tamás
Rookie

Tamás should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Toyota: Ralf's Better than Juan

Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
Toyota Motorsport President John Howett has justified the team's signing of Ralf Schumacher saying that he's probably a better driver than Montoya.
Montoya's best place was the 2nd, Ralf's was the 4th. Montoya was able to finish more races than Ralf. Aside from that I think it's not an excellent driver who can break his teammate's car and can't listen to the orders of the team.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1038531)   #23
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that interview and it is a pretty weak "defense" of their driver choice. Sad, really.
Mike
Old 17 Jul 2004, 00:05 (Ref:1038707)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I get the feeling Ralf is better from the technical perspective, but that's really hard to tell because we're not privy to the inner happenings at Williams. In terms of actual driving, Toyota need someone who will make thier back marker car look good. Even if you called them "equal" in driving, I don't htink anyone would dispute that JPM is much more able and willing to pass to grab those extra positions. JPM also appears to be better at driving a poor handling car.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 02:15 (Ref:1038750)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think to be fair, both guys have their own strengths and weaknesses.

For Toyota to come out so openly claiming Ralf is better than JPM can be embarrassing for Ralf when the media starts mocking such statements.

But, on the otherhand...Ralf really underperformed in the past 2 seasons... and a huge part of it undoubtedly is affected by his unstable relationship with the team, especially Patrick Head.

Ralf actually has quite a bit of potential, which just got lost in recent years. I've read on magazines before that Ralf is actually good at the technical stuffs, probably better than Montoya, and pays more attention to set ups and working out the car's problems before he pushes the car.

Montoya's strength is a more "hearts" approach..just get in and drive the car as fast as he can push...even if it has some set up flaws. And probably that's what makes Montoya specatular and quick in tricky cars.

Montoya is mentally stronger perhaps, and his performance is less affected by his emotions well-being compared to Ralf IMO (relative to each other), but when Ralf is on form, comfortable, and hit the sweet spot of his set up, he is actually more than a match for JPM and can be blistering fast, as we have witnessed before.

Anyway, for a driver to be so much criticised for being undeserving of a seat at Williams, Ralf isn't showing too bad against Montoya, so actually the two guys on a good day are actually pretty close. I'd still probably give Montoya that edge over Ralf though.

Hopefully, at Toyota, the experience would be comfortable and motivating enough to unlock the RALF we've missed for a few seasons. It can help him get his form back..or it can totally ruin his career as nothing more than a shadow of his brother.