Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2004, 06:33 (Ref:1074846)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stoddart Target Montagny

According to reports in ITV-F1, Minardi boss Paul Stoddart is interested to sign Franck Montagny for 2005. Any deal could even be financed by Renault, who are keen to see the young Frenchman graduate to a race drive.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30936
Old 23 Aug 2004, 06:34 (Ref:1074848)   #2
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO, this is the typical MO of Flavio. One year in Minardi, another year in Jordan or Jag, then assuming he went well he will back at Renault.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 07:07 (Ref:1074861)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but I think Minardi must improve significantly (dunno whether/how much Renault will contribute) to secure Montagny a good chance to get the spotlight in F1
Old 23 Aug 2004, 10:13 (Ref:1074957)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why? Renault know his capabilities - this move will give him race mileage, regardless of how competitive the car is.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 12:10 (Ref:1075057)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but look at what's happeneing to Bruni and baumgartner: their profile is not getting much advantage from driving a Minardi.
When, say, Webber, Alondo, etc, drove them, the cars still were bottom line, but at least they coudl show who they are, and mark even got some points, a situation that took unbelievably place this year only thanx to a massive competitors'retirement (anyways baum was the last again.)

Under current condsitions, they just have to thank the new qual system; the old 107% rule would have put them out of any race, whoever the driver.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1075179)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber and Alonso did amazing things with the cars they had, dragging them ahead of the next few teams and consistantly overa second clear of team-mates.

Bruni has failed to beat Baumgartner this season, and Zsolt looks like a worthy pay-driver but nothing more. Both were hired due to sponsorship from outside of racing, whereas Flavio helped finance the Alonso and Webber deals (and Mark in particular was ideal for Australian sponsorship and fan support).
Old 23 Aug 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1075188)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Yes, but look at what's happeneing to Bruni and baumgartner: their profile is not getting much advantage from driving a Minardi.
I don't agree with what you are implying.

They are showing perfectly well what they are worth.

Bruni is demonstrating a distinct lack of hunger and application and showing that he was overrated by many (including myself).

Baumgartner is showing that he isn't as big a joke as we thought but he is nothing impressive.

Last year, Wilson showed his class and Jos showed his normalness.

No matter what car they drive, they will show their qualities. Why is this year any different to last year?
Old 23 Aug 2004, 14:14 (Ref:1075195)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree 100% knowlesy.

Even if the car is miles off the pace, Bruni had an opportunity to demolish Baumgartner which he would've done if he was good enough.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1075227)   #9
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
climb
Quote:
When, say, Webber, Alondo, etc, drove them, the cars still were bottom line, but at least they coudl show who they are, and mark even got some points, a situation that took unbelievably place this year only thanx to a massive competitors'retirement (anyways baum was the last again.)
casting my mind back Mr Webber scored points in Melbourne the same way. The Toyota only was behind him as that was there first race. Zsolt was lucky but so was Mark. Mark however stood out due to impressive starts and was close to the competition in the early bits of the races wheras the two now are not doing any of that. They are just not aggressive in the early parts of the race.. So zsolt getting points was = to Mark. Mark has just proved he is a little bit more special
Old 23 Aug 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1075276)   #10
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only Minardi could tie a Renault engine to Montagny...
Old 23 Aug 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1075288)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They could get a Toyota engine, which would be even better, and Montagny and Briscoe wouldn't be a bad lineup even though neither have raced F1 yet.

Bruni doesn't look like a promising driver really, compared ot the other guys who've showed their worth in a Minardi. Pletny of drivers have come into F1 in cars which are 10th best or worse and showed what they can do (Damon Hill, Berger, Mansell, Lauda and Peterson all come to mind as past examples.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 16:49 (Ref:1075308)   #12
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree - I think Minardi look ultra rubbish cause both their drivers are just very average this year.

Recently they've had a star like webber or alonso alongside a mobile wallet and the difference was around 1.5 seconds between them and the decent driver, this year Bruni, like kiesa before him is just very average.

If champions from lower formulae can look out of their depth in F1 drivers that don't win convincingly in those lower formulae like bruni usually don't make that much of an impression.

*waits for the pedants to point out the numerous losers in lower classes that went on to win the F1 WDC*

but hey, you know what I mean!
Old 23 Aug 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1075423)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think moving to minardi in 2005 would give him much more exsperience look what happened to Heidfeld in '00 the season with prost that didn't count them look how well he did at sauber the next year.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 19:14 (Ref:1075428)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, the Prost was unreliable which didn't help.

The Minardis, as a rule, usually finish the races albeit at a poor pace. But the drivers can still put themselves nicely in the shop window.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1075429)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it helped Alonso and Webber.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1075460)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Heidfeld got the Sauber drive partly as a result of his efforts at Prost. People recognised that he was extracting a lot form the car alongside Alesi.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1076205)   #17
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault's engine is their weak link, so it would only be a small improvement on what Minardi already have (although it's much lighter, so could help handling). Montagny seems to have genuine promise, which Zsolt and Gimmi lack.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1076266)   #18
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the Renault engine is much better than the old Ford in the Minardi. Alonso has (if my mind isn't playing tricks on me) actually been saying that their engine is quite good.
Old 25 Aug 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1076986)   #19
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
N I Tram, I can't believe that you would even put the Renault in the same CATEGORY as the Cosworth. It absolutely cacks all over the Cossie. No doubt about it, Minardi can do much worse than a Renault engine in their cars. As well as a Montgany/Bamugartner driver line up for 2005. I smell 7pts in 2005!!
Old 25 Aug 2004, 23:42 (Ref:1077522)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Skam85
As well as a Montgany/Bamugartner driver line up for 2005. I smell 7pts in 2005!!
7 points for Minardi? you would be deluding yourself then Skam

Montagny in a Minardi makes sense, after all, look at the other recent drivers in the Flavour Flav "stable" - Fisi, Trulli, Alonso and Webber. All started their careers in a Minardi, and all out-classed their team-mates, which i'm sure that Montagny would do.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 04:45 (Ref:1077625)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Webber and Alonso were there as protege's of Flavio. Montagny would be there on the same basis. remember that the Renault has quite good torque as evidenced at Hockenheim. If it came at a price discounted or part of a rebadged 2004 Renault engine/chassis package it would be a very good deal for Minardi.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1077908)   #22
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am quite surprised that Frank Mountain did not get a sniff on Trulli's exit - if they even half believed in him he would have been in there - so they can't!

So, if he wants to stay in F1 in the short/medium term - he'll have to look elsewhere and obviously downwards.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1077967)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
I am quite surprised that Frank Mountain did not get a sniff on Trulli's exit - if they even half believed in him he would have been in there - so they can't!

Don't agree Hugh. Flavour Flav has a contract with Franck, which means he must believe in him. Franck (and Renault for that matter) have time in their side, so they can place him in another team if they wish.

The thing is for Renault, the want, and indeed should be, in the top 4 next year, so, what they don't want is a season where one of their drivers is a rookie and not getting the points.