Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Jan 2001, 19:35 (Ref:56322)   #1
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW were going to enter the BTCC in 2000 with the Bora if any one of you can remember in I think 98-99 Autosport Mags, but put it of because the rules are still the same. What happened to them, I would like to know.

Cheers Hunttheshunt for reminding me
Old 6 Jan 2001, 00:52 (Ref:56450)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Typical VW ..always a year behind
Old 6 Jan 2001, 09:32 (Ref:56525)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last I recall, the Bora's appearance was dependent on the success of the developmental Bora. I believe a diesal(??) version raced in the 24hrs of Nurburgring. Recently, it seems similar versions are being sold to interested teams? 'Cause an American VW dealer brought one over from Europe. The car looks too highly built up/sophisticated to be a regular NSC class car? Perhaps it is just a ST Bora without the ST engine? Check out the car/pictures at:

http://metrovwtx.com/vw_world/index_vw_world.asp

Secondly, I recall the appearance of the ST Bora would have rested solely with VW UK to provide the racing budget. VW Germany was not going to provide any budget short of a car. But back then(???), VW was more interested in funding a few British VW rally teams instead. That was the story I recall hearing.

So that meant no Boras lining up on the starting grid. It would have been cool to ST (Class 2) Jettas racing around the tracks they had back in '92-'94.

Anyone confirm these stories?

Michael

Old 6 Jan 2001, 12:56 (Ref:56594)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
A very unfortunate name for a car if ever there was one...!
Old 6 Jan 2001, 13:34 (Ref:56611)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
hhmm

I believe VW were actually building a car for the (now defunct) toned town Super touring rules which were mooted by Alan Gow, due to be run in 2000, but after all the ho ha of governing bodies and that, VW shelved the plan.
Old 6 Jan 2001, 14:08 (Ref:56633)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I honestly don't think VW were ever that serious about the idea - they kept dropping hints, but every single time it came to committing to a series, they failed to deliver the goods.
Old 6 Jan 2001, 14:15 (Ref:56639)   #7
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With 2001, having new rules, lower budgets, higher profile, and closer racing. There has never been a better time for a constructor to join!

Come on VW you know it makes sense
Old 6 Jan 2001, 14:41 (Ref:56650)   #8
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that is just typical germans, just because the BTCC is the best racing category in the world. We should start a world war III
Old 6 Jan 2001, 15:02 (Ref:56659)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
well

2 years ago, VW ran a Polo saloon in a Touring car championship for Gianni Morbidelli, which would be the ideal carfor the new BTCC, as its small.
Old 6 Jan 2001, 16:12 (Ref:56693)   #10
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Bring Back The Cavaliers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not Gianni Morbidelli. You're thinking of Esteban Tuero who had a season with Minardi before quitting after his only year in F1 to go back to Argentina. It's a VW Polo saloon he races in the South American TCC.