Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 31 Oct 2004, 23:13 (Ref:1141649)   #1
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bayliss must be gutted...........

Troy must be absolutely sick tonight, he signs off with a gutsy podium and then Ducati announce his replacement as.................................................Carlos Checa!

I know who i would want, and he isn't Spanish.

Hopefully, Baylisstic will get fixed up on the Kawasaki which Nakano has proved isn't a bad bike.
Old 31 Oct 2004, 23:23 (Ref:1141660)   #2
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bayliss will ride a Honda next year. All reports are the second Pons bike vacated by Tamada, but he would fit into either team nicely, Repsol, Movistar or Pons, Repsol would be mad to stick with Barros and Hayden needs to learn how to stay on the bike, so Bayliss may fit in here nicely. Either way none would be a bad ride, better than the junk he had this year and as for Checa, what a joke I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I heard that.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 00:50 (Ref:1141721)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TheMan
Bayliss will ride a Honda next year. All reports are the second Pons bike vacated by Tamada, but he would fit into either team nicely, Repsol, Movistar or Pons, Repsol would be mad to stick with Barros and Hayden needs to learn how to stay on the bike, so Bayliss may fit in here nicely. Either way none would be a bad ride, better than the junk he had this year and as for Checa, what a joke I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I heard that.
The aussie commentators were getting stuck in to ol' Charlie, but if Bayliss gets the Pons ride, he'll have the last laugh!
Old 1 Nov 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1141835)   #4
wreckless
Racer

wreckless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my prediction is bayliss will double the points that checa gets next year, even if he is on a kawasaki ride...
Old 1 Nov 2004, 09:11 (Ref:1141862)   #5
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sometimes you watch an event and you wonder...

At the Australian GP wrap-up on Australian TV, the panel make-up was two commentators, with Daryl Beattie and Mick Doohan. The guest was Troy Bayliss.
What was evident was that all the time Bayliss was talking with the panel about the disappointments of 2004 and where he might be in 2005, Doohan just sat and watched and listened - never interrupted while Bayliss was talking. Bayliss not once publicly "bagged" Ducati and you wonder if Doohan noticed this "loyalty" and just may have a hand in Bayliss being selected by a Honda team!!

Mike
Old 1 Nov 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1141974)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems like a shame that Checa will be on a Ducati next year, as he really wasted the Yamaha this year, apart from a couple of good weekends. It looks like the Ducati is on the pace again, and in 2005 they could be in a position to challenge for wins again. Still, Troy owuld have every chance on a Honda, although no one seems to know the exact position of Tamada.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 12:12 (Ref:1141982)   #7
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was quite amusing that they said on the Eurosport commentary that after the Aussie race, Bayliss stayed on for a 2 day test. Apparently they put on some new forks on his bike which they had all year in the back of the truck. Troy went out and went half a second quicker than the whole GP weekend straightaway so parked the bike and went home-point proved!

Then this weekend a podium with the new forks, while caparossi was no where. Pretty sure that’s what you call a good old slap in the face for Ducati.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1142096)   #8
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's anyone's guess which 6 or 7 riders will be on which Hondas next year. Hayden, Gibernau, Tamada and Biaggi are all confirmed, and Bayliss has as good a chance as anyone of being on another bike - more likely Gresini than Repsol I suspect.

If Ducati wanted a Spanish rider on their bike, what's wrong with Xaus, who's been awesome on a year-old machine? If they wanted a fast consistant rider, there are better options than Checa.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1142173)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope Bayliss gets a Honda rider for next season.*fingers crossed*
Old 1 Nov 2004, 23:00 (Ref:1142458)   #10
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A very good source suggested to me last night that Tamada is the key to the Honda jigsaw. Aparently he has the option of either starting his own team with full factory support or joining the Repsol team, so whichever he decides upon determines who goes where. But one thing is for sure he will not be on a Pons bike next season which leaves that seat vacant for Bayliss which I am led to beleive a deal has been done. If Tamada starts his own team then Biaggi is the link at Repsol leaving an extra seat at Pons. Bayliss just may find himself as the number 1 at Pons. This would be great news for him.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 01:03 (Ref:1142522)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the theory is that Tamada will use the Premac slot, with a japenese sponser and bridgestone tyres.

The other thing is isn't Xaus Ducati's most fired/rehired man?
Old 2 Nov 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1142809)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems like Tamada has become Honda's chosen son in the last couple of years. It's hard to tell whether he or Max would be the better bet for factory support, as they've been on different tyres this year, and Max is much more experienced in the class. Makoto's decision would probably be based on whether he can get good enough staff to have his own team in contention.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 22:22 (Ref:1143371)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
I guess that Makoto is the Japense ambasador with the Jap bike, Tyres etc.

Latest rumours and specualtion are that it will be Konica Minolta sponsering him. That would be good, as it would leave a Camel bike spare
Old 2 Nov 2004, 22:36 (Ref:1143388)   #14
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the quick camera shot from behind Troy's bike as he
pulled into parc ferme Seto Pons looked to be very pleased to see Troy there, and did he give Troy a wink?

Last edited by philneast; 2 Nov 2004 at 22:36.
Old 3 Nov 2004, 23:50 (Ref:1144363)   #15
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel i should express my opinion on this.
I think we're being a bit hard on Checa he has had a miserable few seasons on the Yamaha and quite trounced by Rossi...but he has still shown a few flashes of brilliance from time to time and I have fond memories of him at Honda Pons.

But Yes I agree he does seem a crappy choice.

I hope Bayliss takes the Yamaha seat next year.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1144934)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No way is anyone being hard on Carlos, no dount the guy is good, but you can't be that average for that amount of time. He has only won two big league races and they were on a 2 stroke and in Spain, need I say more.
For me he is like Abe and/or Barros. Though in fairness Alex is top drawer on the right bike and can beat anyone, but yet this year has been distinctly average again. Same as Abe, flashes of brilliance interspersed by 8ths and 9ths. Not good enough when you gave quality riders swimming about in AMA,BSB,WSB and national classes who deserve a chance.
I discount Melandri because of the injury, but look at Hopkins,Nakano,Fabrizio,McWilliams,Byrne all doing wonders on rubbish bikes. Then imagine where Checa would be.
I just think from the post race interview that Troy new exactly what his problem had been all year! They give the chassis he wanted and he gets a brilliant podium. "I'm alright Jack, it was your fault not mine thankyou and goodbye!"
And good riddance to 'em, they just lost a fan!
Old 4 Nov 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1145006)   #17
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to MCN............. Tamada is riding for the Minolta Honda team on his own, so Troy could end up at Sito Pons' outfit, which would be a great move. I'm presuming that he would be on Michelin hoops and not the Bridgestones that Tamada used?
Old 4 Nov 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1145033)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A move to Pons would be good. If Biaggi packs up and heads to HRC, Bayliss could end up team leader!
Old 5 Nov 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1145518)   #19
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could be a lucky break for Troy - any Honda would surely be better than a Ducati next year. He's had a rotten season, but most of it hasn't been his fault. After everything he did for the Ducati brand in Superbikes, it's sad that they've given him so little respect.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1146032)   #20
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well as they say...

The money doesn't talk it swears...

No point being a walk up Australian when you could be a pay up Spaniard.

Here's hoping that the next red team Troy rides for is Oriental.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 21:46 (Ref:1146337)   #21
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram
This could be a lucky break for Troy - any Honda would surely be better than a Ducati next year. He's had a rotten season, but most of it hasn't been his fault. After everything he did for the Ducati brand in Superbikes, it's sad that they've given him so little respect.

It is indeed - both Bayliss and Edwards have now realised that winning championships for Ducati and Honda mean nothing unless you kiss their arses - why else would Ducati ditch Bayliss and replace him with Checa?
Old 7 Nov 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1146739)   #22
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad Bayliss has (provisionally anyway) a good ride next season but he has sucked these last couple of years. Lets face it. A few results here and there but little Loris has put him into perspective.

Let's see what Bayliss does on the Honda. I hope he proves me wrong but one result here and there is not good enough.
Old 7 Nov 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1146908)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was watching Eurosport today and the guests gave soom good insights into stuff.
I think Troy was heavily hampered by the bike he had to ride, I dont think Duke let him set up the desmosedici the way he anted it set up. I think they went with Loris and who can blame them really, he has won a race for them.
But then if they have done that it is the right way as Rob Mac was saying today, Yamaha went on their own with Rossi, the bike was not set how Checa or Abe or Melandri wanted it it was designed to fir Vale.
If Honda did the same and design the bike to fot Max or Sete then they might beat Vale but til then if they continue to dilute their effort by trying to help Tamada,Sete,ColinAlex,Nicky or whoever they are naturally going to suffer.
Look at Kawasaki, perfect example, they biult a big 250 for Shinya and he gets them a podium and consistent top eights.
If Ducati can do the same for Loris the results will come, it says a lot for Troy that when he got whate he wanted he got the result
Old 8 Nov 2004, 03:54 (Ref:1147154)   #24
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These are excuses people like Checa, Edwards, Biaggi etc use all the time! We'll see.

The teams naturally gravitate to the stronger rider.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1147588)   #25
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do Ducati want to replace an excellent rider like Bayliss with an over the hill clown like Checa? Oh well the Spanish and Italians seem to get the good opportunities in Bike racing, even when they perhaps don't deserve it.