Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Jan 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1204501)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AJ admits: I'd be happy never to do F1.

Thought this might be an interesting read:

Quote:
Champ Car World Series rookie of the year AJ Allmendinger has admitted that he wouldn't be disappointed if he never got the chance to compete in F1.

Speaking exclusively to Crash.net Radio, the American youngster – who was one of a number of US pilots linked to Red Bull Racing because of his links with the drinks brand's driver search programme - admitted that it had always been his dream to compete in Champ Cars and his aim was to be a multiple champion.

“Champ Car has shown that it has amazing driving talent, and a lot of the great Formula One drivers have come from Champ Car,” Allmendinger said, “I've always said that I am happy to be racing Champ Cars - it was my dream to get there and go win the championship. If I spent 15 years in Champ Cars and won multiple titles and never set foot in Formula One, then I wouldn't be disappointed with it.”
Link to -full article-
Old 19 Jan 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1204540)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thats all well and good , but given a decent opportunity Im sure he would jump at it.

he'd be crazy not to really , but there is no shame at all staying put and winning multiple championships and he seems to have the talent.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1204759)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whatever the circumstances, it's encouraging to hear AJ talking this way. ChampCar titles need to be seen as a career achievement in themselves, not a mere stepping stone, if the current generation of young US drivers are to consider it. The young Jeff Gordon (and I amke no apologies for bringing this up again) never dreamt of being in NASCAR, but when he didn't get an offer for CART, he went int that direction and has doubtless never looked back. Same for so many of the other NASCAR guys who are champions, fan favourites and household names in a land where few could recognise Junquiera, Bourdais or Tracy (or Kanaan, Castroneves or Hornish).
Old 19 Jan 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1204795)   #4
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allmendinger already made a great impression at the Autosport Show, he proclaimed that he would never join an F1 team that he knew he couldn't win with. That practically rules out any F1 career for wonderkid.

AJ Allmendinger has been spoilt his entire career. In each category from the Dodges to Champ Car, he's been given a free ride at one of the top teams. He's pretty arrogant if he thinks he can expect that if Formula 1 comes knocking on his door.

Allmendinger can dream about all the titles he wants, but the meteoric career jumps of Andretti, Villeneuve, and Montoya are of a past generation. Bourdais had one of the most dominant seasons in the series history, and still couldn't get anything from F1.

Last edited by StickShift; 19 Jan 2005 at 15:45.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1204807)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We heard this before from him and it's terrific. His significance to the series cannot be understated. American name like Unser, Andretti, Mears, etc. are a big part of what made CART successful.

What's arrogant about his statements? He said he's plenty happy with CC and thus the only way he'd switch to F1 would be if the situation was perfect.

Jeff Gordon was so long ago that I think newer examples need to be used, but I don't think anyone would disagree that it wasn't a significant occurance.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1204817)   #6
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's arrogant to think that he'll ever receive a perfect oppurtunity from F1. His only avenue into F1 in the future is with Red Bull or worse.

To get a top ride in Formula 1, you need to prove what you can do in Formula 1. If Allmendinger wants a winning ride in F1, he's going to have to go through the process just like every other prospect.

Last edited by StickShift; 19 Jan 2005 at 16:13.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1204861)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good on you, AJ!
He made the same remarks to Dave Despain last year.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1204893)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Several drivers have said similar things in the past.

I agree AJ means what he says right now, but things can change.

Good luck to him whatever he does - a very impressive young driver.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1204897)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
That practically rules out any F1 career for wonderkid.
Unless he starts to flat-out dominate Champ Car, of course.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1204903)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montoya and JV went straight into winning F1 drives, and they only had to win ChampCars once. Kimi went from FRenault to McLaren with only 1 year in between, and it's quite possible that he'd've got the McLaren drive if he'd've done F3000 and challenged for it as a rookie. When you join a team on a 2-year contract, you often don't think about winning races in the first year - AJ may simply mean that he wants to see enough long-term investment, talent and potential to know that he can win races once he's up to speed - and in a year's time that may not rule out Red Bull racing, let alone the likes of Toyota or BAR.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1204989)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We're mincing words, but I don't see anywhere in his statements that he expects a top F1 team let alone any F1 team to offer him a ride, it's a hypothetical situation. eg. If I was asked, would I like a free car on the condition that I must use it and I said "sure, as long as it's better than what I currently have." It's not arrogant to suggest that if the situation arrose that I don't want a K-Car.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1206325)   #12
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's nothing in that quote to change my opinion of AJ - an honesst, balanced, hard-working, talented young driver. He's seen da Matta's mistake in going to F1 in an uncompetitive car, and doesn't want to repeat it.