Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1216374)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Saturday qually...non-event?

Just read Ted (yes i know we shouldn't take what he says as gospel)Kravitz views on saturday qually,not a happy bunny.read at www.crash.net

Last edited by Marbot; 3 Feb 2005 at 11:42.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1216381)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'll probably see qualifying changed before the season starts.

There's no appetite from TV for the Sunday morning session - as such there's no point in having it.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1216405)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
But who'll be watching on Saturday if it's not changed?

Last edited by Marbot; 3 Feb 2005 at 12:07.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1216409)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will because I never miss F1 action on the TV.

Anyway, we can rest assured it will be changed.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1216414)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's not going to impress the "casual viewer" though is it.Imagine,you've just tuned in to watch what you thought would be the grid order for the race tomorrow only to be told you'll have to get up at 8 on Sunday morning to find out a few hours before the race! And don't expect it to get changed any time soon,not if it needs a unanimous decision anyway.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1216416)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

From what I've heard it will be changed.

The TV companies don't want Sunday qualifying - and if none are showing it there's no point running it.

Several of the teams say they have no problem agreeing to change it.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1216722)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's supposedly changing to the 2003 format. Which I quite enjoyed, surprising given it isn't my idea of great qualifying.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1216773)   #8
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an avid viewer of F1 I think the new qualifying system (which I really hope is changed ) is b**locks
Old 3 Feb 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1216777)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure it will be changed, the new 2-session system seems to have produced almost total displeasure from TV networks and fans, and the series can't function on its current level without those. I'm glad they moved to only having a single session counting for the grid years ago, as it was confusing and frustrating for casual viewers, especially when Saturday got rained out.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1216952)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm telling you ............. have a 45 minute qualifying session on Friday afternoon to determine the running order for a single lap shootout on Saturday afternoon.

This new system is a bad idea.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 01:04 (Ref:1217039)   #11
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm going to the Australian GP, and I'm certainly not looking forward to a bunch of support-cars running around all day Saturday becuause qually will be pretty much meaningless. I have now become a strong advocate to bring back the pre-2003 system. I didn't much enjoy it when it was around, but now its a case of you don't know what you've got until it's gone-I enjoyed it MUCH more than this craziness over the past two years.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 02:21 (Ref:1217078)   #12
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They need to adopt a decent qualifying system that appeals to the majority, and stick to it!

The old 12 lap system, for it's faults, is the best I've seen, the latest incarnations have just been a farce.

I know that qualifying is all about that 1 super fast lap, but a bit of action and trying to better times made it good.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1217386)   #13
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One is tempted to think that it will all be OK in the end-that sense will prevail and they'll come up with something much better.

I DON'T THINK SO! They've managed to completely stuff it up no matter what they've tried!!
As they simply can't do anything right it's probably best to to go back to normal (pre-03?) type qualies and (maybe) make little changes to that
Old 4 Feb 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1217469)   #14
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If no one wants this system to be used, it won't be used. My choice would be the 2003 system again, but a return to the old one-hour 12 lap session would be okay - although small tweaks like requiring the laps to be evenly spaced, or only allowing half an hour to ensure that there are no lulls in the action, should be considered.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1218065)   #15
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
They need to adopt a decent qualifying system that appeals to the majority, and stick to it!

The old 12 lap system, for it's faults, is the best I've seen, the latest incarnations have just been a farce.

I know that qualifying is all about that 1 super fast lap, but a bit of action and trying to better times made it good.
Why a limit of 12 laps? This limitation make the drivers to stay in the pit. Just give the drivers 60 minutes to qualify. So, no limitations for engines and tyres. Just make sure the fastest driver will get on pole.

Question: why and when did the FIA introduce the limit of 12 laps?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1218066)   #16
nick_andrews
Rookie

nick_andrews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes but who will want to do 12 laps of qually with the new engine regs?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1218071)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
At the moment the tyre companies are working on the basis that they will be doing 2 qually laps with a gap of 1 day between them! Any change to the format now may have an effect on how the teams use their tyres over a weekend,it is for this reason that i don't think we'll see a change to qualifying.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1218096)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

They will be doing 2 qually laps with a gap of 1 day between them - but those laps will be on Friday and Saturday
Old 5 Feb 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1218103)   #19
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
Question: why and when did the FIA introduce the limit of 12 laps?
My understanding is that 12 laps was introduced to stop drivers purposely going out to slow down a rival. For example, if a driver left for his installation lap and you knew he was going to be fast, you could get one of your drivers out there and in his way without affecting your qually.

By limiting the running to 12 laps, you were left with 4 real runs. You don't set out to ruin one to slow down a rival - that would make no sense..
Old 5 Feb 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1218105)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
They will be doing 2 qually laps with a gap of 1 day between them - but those laps will be on Friday and Saturday

That could work!,but i think anything further removed from that would be a no-no,Michelin and Bridgestone don't want to work all through the winter trying to get their tyres sorted for 2 qually laps only to be told at the last moment they'll have to do 4 laps,one after the other.Those 2 extra laps could make all the difference at the start of the race.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1218149)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP
My understanding is that 12 laps was introduced to stop drivers purposely going out to slow down a rival. For example, if a driver left for his installation lap and you knew he was going to be fast, you could get one of your drivers out there and in his way without affecting your qually.

By limiting the running to 12 laps, you were left with 4 real runs. You don't set out to ruin one to slow down a rival - that would make no sense..
Stupid decision of the FIA. The FIA could also punish the drivers and teams which made themself quilty to those actions. And, although there was a 12 lap limit, it was still possible to do it.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1218203)   #22
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whoever sort the program is just worsening the situation. What we have now are complex ideas that the casual fan will struggle to comprehend, and if it proves too hard to understand, they might just switch to an alternative.

I'd say bring back the old qualifying of 12 laps limit, with one-engine-per-wkend rule. Teams run more qualifying and practice at their own expense of engine reliability.

Even Gary's idea of having a qualifying session of 4 quarters, 10mins each, with top teams limited to just one run...worse team with 4 sounds good.

Or a 30min - 2 run qualifying...followed by a 8 to 10 lap sprint race... just to spice the show on Saturday..followed by actual race on sunday.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1218213)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Perhaps they should aggregate both drivers qually laps(it is after all a team sport)so that if one driver in a team as a bad run it affects the position of both drivers and therefore they will line up side by side on the grid.....Team qualifying....just a thought.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1218318)   #24
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does qualifying have to be so complicated? It was fine before, even if the smaller teams got no coverage (their own fault, they should be better).

I'd like to be able to see a lap being done honestly and fairly and know who is in what position without having to rely on some anal twonk like Allen and his calculator to let me in on the secrets.

F1 should admit they fluffed it all up and go back to the old system, no contrivances and nonsenses.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1218345)   #25
agwiii
Racer

United States
Paradise
agwiii should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see a qualification day. One car on the track. Line up FIFO for one timed lap. Allow them to make additional runs, as they choose, until the session ends.