Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Honda return to Champcars?
Yes 27 51.92%
No 25 48.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Sep 2005, 06:09 (Ref:1417571)   #1
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Would you like to see Honda return to Champcars?

I am a huge Honda fan so my answer is yes.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1417584)   #2
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know.

I do not have anything against Honda and as far as I'm concerned they are certainly welcome back.

But I would like turbos to stay.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1417764)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
eventually, yes! Right now? NO!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 27 Sep 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1417813)   #4
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only if costs could somehow be contained. They seem to bring exponentially escalating expenses wherever they go.
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Old 27 Sep 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1417878)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I voted "No".

- Too early. ChampCar is still in its infancy.
- Too expensive. We've seen many times what could happen.
- Will create "haves" and "have-nots".
- Gotta stick with the turbos.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1417959)   #6
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No thanks. We are fine without them. And I think they will be fine without a return to Champ Car.

And we HAVE to keep the turbos!!
Old 27 Sep 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1417995)   #7
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No.
It`s not the time for that. I would not be against it in the future though.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1418021)   #8
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if they only sold their engine same price as the Cosworth Ford and did not sponsor teams like they do in F1 and IRL? CCWS can restrict the amount of money that a Honda or Ford are allowed to "rent" a team. If Honda and Ford had the same set of rules regarding development, sponsorship it would help create the environment that is allowing the series to grow - that is to have "haves" and no "have nots". The rest is sponsors, team chemistry and driver talent. Just thinking out loud, but not too hard to tax my limited capacity.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1418039)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where's the "I don't know" option?
Old 27 Sep 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1418091)   #10
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I vote no because the cosworth package has been so good for competition, cost-cutting and reliability.

The only way I would let Honda back would be if they agreed to along with Ford to both badge the same Cosworth engine. That would be the ultimate engine parity.

If you hate that idea, then maybe allow honda back, but all hondas engines are drawn from a hat to the honda teams by Champ Car. That way you don't get a semi-factory team like AGR in the IRL.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1418104)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
I voted "No".

- Too early. ChampCar is still in its infancy.
- Too expensive. We've seen many times what could happen.
- Will create "haves" and "have-nots".
- Gotta stick with the turbos.
This is how I see it. Ensuring any kind pf parity would be very difficult, other than having some of teams badged as Honda - but what if Honda throw more money to those teams, as a very cheap way of making uninformed viewers think their engines are superior?
Old 27 Sep 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1418267)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as the situation is heavily regulated. Something along the lines of Grand Am's regulated engines with sponsorship rules as well would work.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 01:52 (Ref:1418420)   #13
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted "yes." But that yes is qualified. If honda can accept that all they get for being a supplier is a thank you, and costs can be contained, then I say "yes." If not, I say "no."
Old 28 Sep 2005, 03:32 (Ref:1418460)   #14
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way too early to vote either yes or no until any conditions under which they would be proposed to return are made clear.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 08:14 (Ref:1418581)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honda would probably not be very interested in bringing a turbo-engine considering the engine they would like to use is the one they designed in preparation for what they believed would be the new IndyCar specs (before the announcement was made that the IndyCar series would stick to its current configuration).

So as far as I can tell Champ Car would either need to drop the turbos or come up with a set of rules that allows both engine-types, and I don't think either alternative is a very realistic one.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1418688)   #16
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Honda is interested to take part under the same regulations - why not?! Honda has a big tradition in racing and Champ Car could add one more well-known brand to his list (wellcome back...).
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1418769)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Turbo Ford engines against normally-aspirated Hondas (presumably with no Push-To-Pass) could be interesting, but they need to be stopped form putting too much money into the whole thing.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1418784)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I understand the cost implications, but I would dearly love to see Champ Cars back to a multi-chassis, multi-engine format.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1418938)   #19
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a Honda vs. Ford competition would bring money, sponsorship, better teams, and better drivers. It might even force reunification. It's a no brainer.

It's a good sign that the head honcho of all of Ford Racing was at the meeting IMO.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1419116)   #20
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with rustyfan. Since Honda has already designed its IRL-spec engine, it's doubtful that they would want to switch to turbos.

So, unless Champ Car changes its engine formula for '07 I highly doubt that Honda will join Champ Car.

If Honda does enter Champ Car, then yes costs should be restricted so that there isn't parity and there aren't factory teams. But Honda won't like that because factory teams are how R&D gets developed.

In the end, I don't know. It would be a good thing initially, but there is potential for danger.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1419147)   #21
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I don`t know the source, in another forum apparently Robert Clarke says this.
Quote:
"The Cosworth name doesn't have the kind of exposure we feel we really need. You would have the might of Honda competing against a racing engine company which would unfortunately create a no-win situation. If you win, you should have won, and if you lose, you look really bad. So the competition we need is true manufacturer competition."
If that`s what they want, they have no choice but sports cars in the short term.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1419149)   #22
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is the case, then the only way Honda would enter Champ Cars is if another major manufacturer or manufacturers enter the series.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1419314)   #23
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said no cause, Ive only been watching since 2002 and so far I think that the best year has been 2003 with the threeway battle for the championship and still competitive reynards. The series does not need Honda back.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1419553)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
If that`s what they want, they have no choice but sports cars in the short term.
In the short term?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Sep 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1420008)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
I agree with rustyfan. Since Honda has already designed its IRL-spec engine, it's doubtful that they would want to switch to turbos.

If Honda does enter Champ Car, then yes costs should be restricted so that there isn't parity and there aren't factory teams. But Honda won't like that because factory teams are how R&D gets developed.
As for the first point, Honda also has a 2.65L turbo engine design sitting around collecting dust. It's the same thing either way. I didn't realize that Ford was represented at the meetings as well. Perhaps if Honda was insistant that they wanted the new design to be used, Ford might be willing to put money into a new design to compete with Honda.

As for the second point, I don't think "factory teams" need to be outlawed but the rate at which improvements can be made needs to be regulated. Perhaps that means once per season or a couple of times per year. Then they can say that each team may not have more than $X contributed towards their budget from an engine manufacturer. If you had this kind of situation all the teams useing a particular type of engine would likely have the same spec.