Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1440719)   #1
We Love Osella
Racer

Andorra
We Love Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old F1

Does anyone hanker for the good days of F1. The days of the seventies when the racing was good and sort of clean. Could we not go back to those days when once you left the pit lane the next time you went down it was at the end of the race.
As far as I'm concerned the only good thing with F1 now is the safety aspcet, it's the only thing I wouldn't change
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1440723)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a big thread discussing that here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75103
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1440730)   #3
We Love Osella
Racer

Andorra
Thank you
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1440736)   #4
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd generally agree with you. I would love to see the return of slicks myself, but F1 is also missing some real "characters" - there were plenty of those around in the past. F1's lost it's emotion, and goodness me it's missing it...
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1440749)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Love Osella
Could we not go back to those days
No, F1 is too professional now to ever go back to what it was, whether that be a good or a bad thing.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1440762)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's probably best to watch and enjoy F1 as it happens.

Nothing is ever as good as people think it used to be.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1440763)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it's natural that we won't go back to the old days, as you can't really reverse progression.

Although progression isn't necessarily good.....

We have lost out in some areas compared to old racing, but we do have some better aspects. And whilst I do, as a rule, prefer old racing, we still have a good product IMO. Put it this way, you wouldn't do without it would you?
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1440779)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

Agreed, those rose tinted glasses seem to do wonders to the memory.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1440806)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I love everything about F1 in the 70s and 80s one thing I am glad thats changed and that the crashworthiness of the cars. The way those Osellas folded up at Montreal 82 and Kyalami 84, for instance, was atrocious. Not negligence on the part of Enzo and his boys you understand, just that was the accepted level. Drivers feet in front of the front axle line for instance, thats just crazy. Except in my modern day Kart of course...
Old 22 Oct 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1440812)   #10
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah! the certainty of youth
Old 22 Oct 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1440835)   #11
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Love Osella
Does anyone hanker for the good days of F1. The days of the seventies when the racing was good and sort of clean. Could we not go back to those days when once you left the pit lane the next time you went down it was at the end of the race.
As far as I'm concerned the only good thing with F1 now is the safety aspcet, it's the only thing I wouldn't change
There are many things wrong with F1 at the moment. Hopefully the most important of them will be sorted out in the next few years.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1440843)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Um, Altered Images? They're still the greatest band in the history of music.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1441094)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
I'll vouch for that, and Claire Grogan is the best actress ever to have appeared in Eastenders too
Old 23 Oct 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1441181)   #14
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
There are many things wrong with F1 at the moment. Hopefully the most important of them will be sorted out in the next few years.
It was interesting to see drivers running for the spare car because of an accident in the first conrner involving many drivers, for example. The present car setup limits the overtakings that can be done and no car is nowadays capable of a tussle like we used to see between Senna, Prost & Mansell for example. The qualifying system was also much better than the present one. I hope they change it in 2006.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1441436)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Um, Altered Images? They're still the greatest band in the history of music.

Geez, Ensign, Inever would have taken you for someone with a taste for the Archies fronted by a yelping Chipmunk.

As for the good Old Days of F1.

Nothing, Nothing will ever beat the sound of a Matra V12. Ever.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1441439)   #16
We Love Osella
Racer

Andorra
Matra V12 what a lovely sound that made
Old 23 Oct 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1441514)   #17
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
is there a source on the internet where you can find a sound or video clip of the Matra V12?
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1441581)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You may tryhere.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1442086)   #19
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
haha yep I agree with you - some absolutely fantastic noises from that web page!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1442117)   #20
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
We have lost out in some areas compared to old racing, but we do have some better aspects. And whilst I do, as a rule, prefer old racing, we still have a good product IMO. Put it this way, you wouldn't do without it would you?
Ummm.....well.....yes quite frankly. I think I've watched 4 or 5 GPs this year (one more if you count Indy) and as I've posted before elsewhere it's just not exciting for me anymore. I was just reading the early90s thread and reminiscing about the good ol' days and thinking how much it's changed. Sure the tech is so much more advanced as is safety, but surely it's gone wrong somewhere along the way. I don't even think the feeder series have it right either anymore because I just dont see the value of these one make series.

Have I grown out of F1 (and more into IRL, CCWS and bikes) or has F1 left me behind somewhere along the way? Am I alone in being this depressed about the state of the top category in a sport I love.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1442126)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
As for the good Old Days of F1.

Nothing, Nothing will ever beat the sound of a Matra V12. Ever.
°cough°BRM V16°cough°