Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Jan 2006, 05:09 (Ref:1492724)   #1
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if there was some sort of control shocks or suspension?

???

Would it help make everyone more competitive for one thing?
Old 1 Jan 2006, 05:48 (Ref:1492727)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont put ideas in there heads.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 08:17 (Ref:1492737)   #3
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its likely to be coming
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:02 (Ref:1492746)   #4
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will turn into a procession race then they need to leave some things different.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1492750)   #5
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe they already have control suspension. Spring and shock settings are free.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1492753)   #6
Ozfords
Racer

Australia
Blue Mountains
Ozfords should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The confirguration of the Suspension is set but consumables like shocks and springs are a free for all. Interesting to see who uses what, DJR I know use Ohlins like FPR, King Springs and Eibach Springs are pretty prominant. What of Koni?

But I'd be interested what the teams views of long time sponser Monroe is. I recently got my shocks done and I wasn't going to skimp on quality and ride. The contact in the industry bet his life on KYBs as the mid priced champion, others I spoke to suggested Boag and one pilled a funny line on me: "I don't like to rubbish products, but I wouldn't touch Monroe's". One other was suprised that I wanted KYB and went on to say its all hype and the Monroe's were locally produced and not imported like most of the others.

But everyone (but one) seemed to place Monroe as the cheap brand with the GTs as the mid-range champion. Hmmm interesting...
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1492755)   #7
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford boy
It will turn into a procession race then they need to leave some things different.
Run that by me again, I think i missed something.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1492756)   #8
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford boy
and V8's aren't already a procession?
Most overtaking seems to be done in the pits
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1492757)   #9
ford boy
Veteran

Pete55, i meant there will be no overtaking if the cars are the same.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1492758)   #10
pete55
Veteran

There isn't much overtaking now. As kmsport says, most of it happens in the pits.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1492759)   #11
ford boy
Veteran

yeah i agree with that
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1492761)   #12
ford boy
Veteran

What would you guys think if they made it so they let other tyre manafacturers back into the sport?? Max of 2 or 3, example Dunlop, Bridgestone and Yokohama i know it probably won't happen but im sure it would make more overtaking due to different ways the tyres perform through there stints. Back to the old days of different tyre companies in the game. Just a thought.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1492816)   #13
Lukin
Racer

Australia
Perth
Lukin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They aren't that far from it now. All the chassis mounting points for the top and bottom wishbones are close nough to fixed, as is the max bump travel, and the track. Same on the rear, the trailing arms are pretty close to being fixed. And as for the dampers, most use the Ohlins (TTX40 or TT44) but some might use the Penske (8760) or perhaps Sachs. Springs are usually dime a dozen. As long as they are predictable they are fine, and Im guessing most would be in the 2-2.25" ID range.

So no, we don't need to have the exact same geometry, springs and dampers.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1492820)   #14
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously this control gig ain't being taken seriously enough.

All 32 drivers should get on stepping out of the plane at the airport they have a lucky dip into a big bunch of keys from which they then have to find their racecar for the weekend from the carpark at the rentals service area. It's be Falcon vs Commodore so who'd really care?
Old 1 Jan 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1493048)   #15
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 or 3, example Dunlop, Bridgestone and Yokohama i know it probably won't happen
Bad idea. The Tyre manufacturers would not like it. You would a "two-tier" V8Supercar championship, those on the good tyres and those on the "bad". Pretty muc like it was in the early years of the championship.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1493050)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Seriously this control gig ain't being taken seriously enough.

All 32 drivers should get on stepping out of the plane at the airport they have a lucky dip into a big bunch of keys from which they then have to find their racecar for the weekend from the carpark at the rentals service area. It's be Falcon vs Commodore so who'd really care?
That would be no good... there are already some 'special' cars in the Hertz rental fleet for VIPs and the like...

Can they all go to Thrifty and run 380's??
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 1 Jan 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1493064)   #17
pete55
Veteran

Control Chassis : -

Control Cylinder heads:
Control Shockies:
Control Suspension:
Control Tailshaft:
Control Brakes:
Control Brake Pads:
Control Clutch Plate:

These are some of the ideas mooted to be bought in. My guess is that they will be bought in in 2007.
We already have Control Gearboxes, set ratios, Control Diff, Control ECU and Control Tyres and they don't seem to have done any harm to the series.

By the way GTR, i had a good look at the 380 the other day and it would make a mean looking V8 Supercar.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 00:45 (Ref:1493109)   #18
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pete55: that's the most depressing sight I've ever seen. Give them all Suzuki Swifts and be done with it.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 01:02 (Ref:1493113)   #19
pete55
Veteran

I really don't think it matters at all. You don't see under the skin anyway. As long as they leave the body work original i don't mind. In saying that i still think these cars have too much power. In all cases where we have close racing and lots of passing it is in categories with low power that provide it (the faster the cars the less chance you have to pass because of the length of straights ie. slipstreaming and braking). V8 Utes and classes such as Saloon Cars and HQ's are a few. That's one area that if changed would spice up the racing.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 01:10 (Ref:1493118)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Control Chassis : -

Control Cylinder heads:
Control Shockies:
Control Suspension:
Control Tailshaft:
Control Brakes:
Control Brake Pads:
Control Clutch Plate:

These are some of the ideas mooted to be bought in. My guess is that they will be bought in in 2007.
We already have Control Gearboxes, set ratios, Control Diff, Control ECU and Control Tyres and they don't seem to have done any harm to the series.

By the way GTR, i had a good look at the 380 the other day and it would make a mean looking V8 Supercar.
Technically they arent control gearboxes or diffs... you can buy the parts from wherever they make them.... i.e Modena gears inside the Holinger box... or indeed buy US-sourced spool diffs instead of buying them from Mr Harrop....

We have 2 different types of controls in Supercar, control parts, where the bits and pieces MUST come from a particular supplier... and a control specification, where the bits and pieces can come from anywhere as long as they conform to the specification.........
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Jan 2006, 01:23 (Ref:1493128)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I really don't think it matters at all. You don't see under the skin anyway. As long as they leave the body work original i don't mind. In saying that i still think these cars have too much power. In all cases where we have close racing and lots of passing it is in categories with low power that provide it (the faster the cars the less chance you have to pass because of the length of straights ie. slipstreaming and braking). V8 Utes and classes such as Saloon Cars and HQ's are a few. That's one area that if changed would spice up the racing.

never really thought of that as an option. good idea.

edit the downside being that some of the other classes would be possibly quicker. ie carerra cup or maybe the lambo's or ferraris
Old 2 Jan 2006, 01:42 (Ref:1493137)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If my memeory serves me correctly their were a few rounds in 2003 when John Bowe 360 GT went quicker the the v8s.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 01:45 (Ref:1493138)   #23
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
An interesting question could be.. If it became adopted that a specific prescribed part was available through a (or a series of) control supplier(s), would the supplier(s) have to go through a public tender process?

Any ideas?
Old 2 Jan 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1493460)   #24
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What an interesting concept and insight into the racing world. However I am struggling with the actual factual content of it. You have named 3 fairly "poor handling" classes that have probally got most of there "action "atributed to the vast difference in driver ability and car preperation and set up.

32 cars with less power and nothing else changed would be a failure of grand proportions, lets look at one of the great models of low power racing , "One make celebrity races", what a thrill it is to watch these slow moving vehicles ripping around the track, with so many people taking a wizz or getting another beer seating at least would not be a problem.

There are 2 ways you will get more action, 1 either give them more power, or narrower tyres, a bit of a wing trim. This means the cars slide around as the race progresses and (just like the utes etc ) or you start making a few more things free, one thing that would cost not much and achieve differences in performance is free diff and gearbox ratio's, you then select either speed at the end of the straight , or acceleration out of the corners. Instantly there is passing chances, from car to car. teams can try different approach's depending on qualifying and race places during the weekend
The cost is actually nothing much , as gear sets are lifed and it makes little difference as the cost is all confined to 5 ratio's or 15 different ratio's, over 2-3 years every single one will be in the bin just like the "control ones" they use now. Just need a bit more stock.

You will never ever get close racing by making things all the same, unless the drivers are of massive difference in talent

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 2 Jan 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1493693)   #25
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlooker
What an interesting concept and insight into the racing world. However I am struggling with the actual factual content of it. You have named 3 fairly "poor handling" classes that have probally got most of there "action "atributed to the vast difference in driver ability and car preperation.

There are 2 ways you will get more action, 1 either give them more power, or narrower tyres, a bit of a wing trim.
The 3 classes i used as an example would in my opinion with wider tyres and a few suspension changes handle a lot better that they do now. I don't know what driver ability has to do with the argument about specifications (as we aren't talking about those drivers of those cars, except maybe top 1/2 dozen who maybe would get a codrive). Most of the drivers in V8 Supercars and some not in there would be within a second on any track in similar cars.