Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1674949)   #1
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anthony Davidson - great commentary!

Wow what a great commentator.

Martin had better watch out.

I also noticed that Bernie was far more forthcoming when interviewed by Steve Ryder.

" The Ant " really is a super guy and does not display any one of the " I am too well known " traits and cannot speak to you lesser people that some ex-F1 drivers display.

I had a long chat with him up at Snetterton in Aug 2003 when I was PR & Media officer for Team Jato Motorsport that was racing in the UK FF Championship. He came to see Tony Rodgers racing ( who used to race him when they were both in Karts ).

See:

http://www.andrewhayden.info/jato/

He really is an unassuming and great person to talk to and really deserves a F1 seat as he is a wonderful driver.

Back to the best race of the season so far.

Oh yes, James Allen is excellent IMHO.

Paula Hamilton
Old 6 Aug 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1674997)   #2
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His advantage over Martin

Brundle is that he is a current F1 car peddlar and as a result his knowledge is current....

He obviously needs more practice BUT a great job Anthony.

Well done

Paula
Old 6 Aug 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1675008)   #3
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would much rather see Davidson commentating....and think of the coverage Honda would get too, surely that can only be a good thing? Anthony Davidson + Martin Brundle with Ted Kravitz with his stats and Steve Ryder as presenter = good team.

Least Davidson admits when he makes a mistake too, unlike Allen....
Old 6 Aug 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1675009)   #4
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Whoops two currents in one sentence

Ahem

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge
Brundle is that he is a current F1 car peddlar and as a result his knowledge is current....

He obviously needs more practice BUT a great job Anthony.

Well done

Paula
Old 6 Aug 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1675011)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge

Oh yes, James Allen is excellent IMHO.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1675023)   #6
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Gee ralf fan

He is good........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Old 6 Aug 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1675275)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought Ant was a bit hesitant during qualifying yesterday, but he's really getting into it today! And I'll forgive him when he said "Don't forget I'm the one that basically chose the tyres that Jenson's winning this race on..."
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1675427)   #8
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Edwards and Anthony Davidson would be an imperious commentator combo.Flush out the old, bring in the new!

But I would rather see Ant racing, of course!
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1675432)   #9
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ant was good today. Honest and likeable.

Waffled a bit in places, but that'll come with practice. Top job.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1675437)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ant was pretty good today.... I thought Jenon did a better job at Monaco last year but he had Martin with him...
But all in all well done Ant...
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1675443)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Less of James Allen. Just take a look at my avatar. He was terrible when Button won, but then again he does get excited easierly so I forgive.

Martin Brundle is a true legend. But they should also have Anthony up in the commentary box as well for the remainder of the season. That way we still get the modern and up to date insight of a great British driver. Also we get Martin's expert opinion and humor and just great commentary. And less off James Allen you'd hope.

I'm off to email ITV-F1.

Last edited by luke; 6 Aug 2006 at 14:44.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1675451)   #12
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was OK, but I'd have much prefered to be listening to Martin Brundle as he's just far more entertaining. That's not a slight against Anthony, he just comes across better as a play-by-play/analyst type as he's incredibly observant thanks to his current knowledge whereas Martin is a brilliant colour guy.

Solution? Davidson and Brundle in the box together.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1675454)   #13
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Davidson and Brundle in the box together.
That would be great, although I'd prefer it if it didn't happen for a few years as I would like to see Davidson do a full season of F1 sooner or later.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1675465)   #14
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, we should allow Anthony to have a career in F1 first
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1675470)   #15
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Until he finds a car to race on a Sunday afternoon he should go keep Brundle company in the booth.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1675474)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I thought he did a pretty good job - there were times when he was talking about how the team makes decisions etc. when he did actually manage to keep James Allen silent, which is no mean feat.

Allen was particularly awful this weekend - in qualifying he just could not get his head around Schumacher and Alonso's penalties and what they meant for the rest of the drivers, even though it was glaringly simple. He makes as many mistakes as Murray Walker but in a much less endearing way.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 6 Aug 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1675493)   #17
Bellof
Racer

South Africa
South Africa
Bellof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
while I also hope anthony gets a race seat, I really enjoyed his commentary. I found him MUCH more spot on with his observations, and must admit, I'm getting a bit tired of brundle's biases. anyway, if davidson gets a race seat, I'll happily put up with martin for a bit longer...
Old 6 Aug 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1675498)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did AD not have any biases? (not saying that this is a bad thing in this case). I find Martin unbiased. He may have points of view I disagree with, but that is a different thing.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1675513)   #19
Sideways-Fast
Rookie

Sideways-Fast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm...

James Allen out please.. Quite tired of listening to his dreary voice releasing his obvious lack of knowledge. The guy never listens to his co-commentators ( whoever they are..), is so obviously in love with Michael Schumacher and, worst of all, he's got no charisma whatsoever..

It's a real shame that ITV continues to let him bore the viewers week in week out. Ben Edwards would revel in the job and would make the viewer feel as if they were at the GP. Allen only ever seems to patronise.

Ant was pretty good today, apart from the " i chose the tyres" moment! I'm not a fan of his ( i must be the only person in the world who thinks AD is a test driver because he's not good enough to race!), but i found him entertaining and informative. And, nice, too!

But, Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle IS the way to go.. Keep yer fingers crossed!!

Neil
Old 6 Aug 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1675564)   #20
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree re JA, Brundle and AD would be good. He does have biases, but he ain't half a bad commentator and he was superior to JA, imo (albeit without so much experience).
Old 6 Aug 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1675580)   #21
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Ant was brilliant, with no commentating experience you could hear him growing in confidence over the weekend and throughout the race he was superb, knowledgable, engaging and made a lot of sense. I personally thought he completely showed James Allen up.

Jenson was quite good at Monaco last year too, and sometimes I wonder whether the fact we're used to listening to James Allen - a man with limited knowledge, zero charisma, zero comedy value and an unfortunate habit of making himself sound like a prat just when you want somebody 'proper' to guide you through a race, flatters his partners - Brundle, Button, Davidson - but Davidson truly impressed me this weekend.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1675642)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
But I would rather see Ant racing, of course!
Me too! Allen may be a tart, but Martin is respected. Ant is a racing driver and needs to be racing. Yes, he can replace Martin in ooh, ten years time?
Old 6 Aug 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1675644)   #23
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought AD did a great job this weekend,he gave us some up to date technical feedback,and kept up with the action in what was one of the most exciting races in years.

He also managed some seamless links between the live commentary and pit/paddock interviews and didn't let JA put him off too much.

I hope he gets the chance to do some commentary again.

How strange though that's he's in the commentary box when Jenson gets his first win...........and usually he's gone from the circuit.........now at least he can share in the teams celebrations.

P.S.Where's Rennen these days

Last edited by Fantasy GP610; 6 Aug 2006 at 17:04.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1675647)   #24
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhorsehymn
Yes, we should allow Anthony to have a career in F1 first
couldn't agree more !!
Old 6 Aug 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1675650)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy GP610
P.S.Where's Rennen these days
I suspect he's out celebrating Ant's great input and Button's win.