Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Sep 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1707105)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Klien out! (Merged)

Klien out as from now!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17438.html
Old 10 Sep 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1707111)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well this is depressing.

The great F1 clear out of my favourite drivers continues at unabated pace.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1707131)   #3
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He must be pretty sure he has another option for next year - he turned Red Bull down flat on a champcar seat. I know, it's arguable how good an opporutnity that is in the first place but, I heard it was because he wants to stay in F1. MF1? Testing? Seems to me he has something up his sleeve.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1707133)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow...i thought we'd see him till the end of the year ateast...I hope we see him somewhere next year...he has a lot to offer and he is a good racer and fighter...

Will be interesting to see who gets the drive
Old 10 Sep 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1707135)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He has turned down the Champcar seat, which seems crazy at this stage.

He knows what he is doing I guess...
Old 10 Sep 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1707151)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Ask Sebastian Bourdais just how valuable success is in ChampCar vis a vis getting an F1 seat. Or test. Or phone call back. Or a postcard.

I am not a big Klien fan, but I give the kid credit that he believes enough in himself to pursue his F1 career. Good luck to him!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1707153)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doornbos will have a chance to show what he can do, it seems.

I hope Christian has something going on, I think he's not as bad as his points score against DC's indicates.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1707221)   #8
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Molotov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate this new trend of dropping drivers before the season ends. First JPM, then JV and now Klien.

Isn't Allmendinger sponsored by Redbull? I'd like to see him make a few tests in F1. I think redbull should give him a test or two and if he's ready, race him in China. I guess Doornboss is going to get the nod; personally this driver doesn't inspire me at all.

If Redbull wants to make the ultimate publicity stunt they might be tempted to bring back good ol' JV, that would surely get a lot of press coverage for a mid-field team. There is no way this is gonna happen and Villeneuve would never take the chance to get humiliated again in a team he doesn't know but it’d surely be entertaining.

Old 10 Sep 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1707236)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This is a really bad trend we see happening at the moment, with drivers leaving early..I don't blame him for turning down the drive in Champ Car, a complete waste of time from a career point of view. I hope he gets to stay in F1 somehow..
Old 10 Sep 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1707264)   #10
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is rumoured (at least in Holland) that Spyker F1 will use Ferrari engines in 2007. If Doornbos gets the Red Bul seat for the remainder of the season, to me this looks as if this all part of the deal and he will get the second seat in the Spyker next year, or at least his racing capabilties are going to be tested now in the Red Bull. Or am I making things to complicated now?
Old 10 Sep 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1707287)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doornbos did well against Albers when he came in at Minardi last year. He did well in F3000 in 2004 as well, making quick progress when you consider that he only started racing of any kind in 1997.

I hope Christian knows what he 's doing. ChampCar may pretty much lock you out of F1 attention, but in this case it's a paid drive, whcih can be very ahrd to get. I don't think he's been stunning this year, he seems to lack mechanical sympathy and is rarely faster than DC, but he has his fans.

For years I used ot wonder why there were so few mid-season driver changes, when teams knew they wouuldn't be running the driver next year. I came to the conclusiont aht it was down to the difficulty of adjusting to a new car, but with so many 3rd drivers available these days it seems to make sense to swap a driver out in favour of one who is still part of your operation.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1707302)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strange move. Seems like it was a desicion CK made. Wouldn't really make sense for the team to replace him at this stage otherwise.

Doornbos seems to be the logical choice for Red Bull now. Although, I wonder how easy (!?) it would be to try and get Mark Webber a bit early...?
Old 10 Sep 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1707311)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I can see Red Bull putting a black driver in place just to trump McLaren choosing Hamilton. A publicity stunt that Red Bull likes.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1707320)   #14
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the point in signing a contract in F1, in my view If a team wishes to drop a driver or the driver wants out before the season end a retainer of £10 million is paid to the FIA.

Keep dropping drivers for no reason is not good for the sport
Old 10 Sep 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1707341)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
in my view If a team wishes to drop a driver or the driver wants out before the season end a retainer of £10 million is paid to the FIA.
That'll be one profitable organisation.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1707345)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Soccer teams sell, drop and buy players all the time, and yet the game remains popular.

Funnily enough I'd thought of the same thing as Ensign. Would be incredibly cynical, but they could stoop to it. I haven't heard of the driver in question, so I doubt he's ready for F1.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 02:58 (Ref:1707540)   #17
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about they go see frank get Mark Webber in the car than he gets used to his new team ready for next season and Alex Wurz gets some race preperation for next year.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1707568)   #18
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brilliant! Red Bull just got rid of their best driver.

So, after he out qualifies Coulthard, Speed and Luizi and lead all 3 to the checkers in Monza, they fire him? Makes perfect sense to me!
Old 11 Sep 2006, 05:46 (Ref:1707581)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
Doornbos seems to be the logical choice for Red Bull now. Although, I wonder how easy (!?) it would be to try and get Mark Webber a bit early...?
I dont know if moving from one backmarker car to another right now would be the best move. Would give the driver the feel of a different team I suppose...
but if he blows off/is blown off by DC, would that help season 2007?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Sep 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1707711)   #20
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I dont know if moving from one backmarker car to another right now would be the best move. Would give the driver the feel of a different team I suppose...
but if he blows off/is blown off by DC, would that help season 2007?
it cant be any worse than what he is in now.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1707724)   #21
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it can be, as RBR have effectively frozen development of the RB2, whilst Williams will continue with all theyve got with the FW28 as they dont want the indignity of continuing their streak of non points scoring finishes.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1707748)   #22
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has this actually been confirmed? I see no mention of it on any other site.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1707751)   #23
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
Has this actually been confirmed? I see no mention of it on any other site.
BBC News
Old 11 Sep 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1707756)   #24
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Thanks, ensign14.

I wonder who will be announced as the third driver.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1707780)   #25
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
I'm a bit busy, but I suppose if pushed...