Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 28 Jun 2007, 17:05 (Ref:1948991)   #1
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Cornish race circuit

National section of Autosport has a story on a plan for a new circuit at Perranporth. I think it's probably a bit of a MSN scoop, i.e. it'll never happen ! But the SW could do with a circuit - and it could be a corker. LOts of fast corner - not sure there's a lot of runoff. Is there any provision for a temporary circuit licence from the MSA, where a circuit doesn't have to be quite as polished as Silverstone or Brands?
Old 28 Jun 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1948999)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I would love to see a motor racing track at Perranporth. As Graeme states the South West could do with a circuit (I guess Castle Combe is technically in the South West - but it is a long way from Devon and Cornwall). Also given, the area's popularity with tourists, I would envisage that a reasonably well promoted event in July or August getting a large crowd.

That said, I suspect that a long planning battle waits for John George if he decides to go ahead with his plans, which could be complicated by environmental concerns. Also, I understand that there are a small number of residents who live in close proximity to the airfield and their views would need to be taken into account. That says, if it does ever happen, I don't think it would take long for me to visit.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 18:28 (Ref:1949058)   #3
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the proposed site?

http://www.perranporthairfield.co.uk/
A hint of Anglesey methinks
Old 28 Jun 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1949062)   #4
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's it. A lot flatter than Anglesey though. The circuit perimeter road looks great. The best circuits aren't designed - Goodwood and Thruxton, for instance. Design it and you get Rockingham...
Old 28 Jun 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1949072)   #5
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does look good,would you include the 'original' Silverstone in the list of best circuits ?
Think Perranporth might be a tad closer than Anglesey for myself
Old 28 Jun 2007, 18:47 (Ref:1949075)   #6
nyssa7
Racer

nyssa7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could just leave that as it is, like the figure of eight ;-)
Old 28 Jun 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1949149)   #7
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funnily enough I was down there last week. Whilst the locals seem happy about it, others that have moved into the area are not. Now where have I heard that before?
Incidentally the rally I went to see was cancelled due to an objector.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 22:06 (Ref:1949272)   #8
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just love Rockingham.

I wish John George every success. There is plenty of "space" for more circuits in the UK.

Especially a 1/2mile 33deg banked oval!!

However, looking at the aerial photo, I'd do the circuit thus:
Start/Finish on the right hand side - where the planes are parked, then to the first corner, sharp right down the runway, sharp left back down the
other runway, right onto the peri-track, and turn sharp right onto the n/s runway. Before the end of that, left onto the e/w runway, right onto the peri-track, and back to the start/finish.

If you look at it, there are lots of options to make some "interesting" variations. Add a couple of extra links, and blimey!

As Rod says, it's not the locals that they have to worry about.

And for flip sake, don't let Mansell anywhere near it!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 06:54 (Ref:1949443)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think that part of the world desparately needs more attractions motor race circuits included as it is in danger of becoming a massive retirement home. My mate owns a hotel in Torquay and he is dead he would relish a circuit opening up locally, a little guest house in Pembrey charges far more than him on a race weekend, its about time the bloody whingers shut up for the good of all.

I think if this was to be viable Rob the runway and aviation would surely have to be left intact like Thruxton, and btw I love the Rock as well, I think its an exciting place to race, when are you next out and good luck.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 29 Jun 2007 at 06:56.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1949565)   #10
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
A couple of points.

Looking at the aerial photo there are a couple of concerns:

1) if the venue is to continue as an airfield as well then they will have to store the planes elsewhere and there doesn't look much space available close to the control tower.
2) the housing in the top left looks very close and you can bet your bottom dollar that some of the in-comers will complain about the noise.

Someone asked about a license to use the track before it was to the standard of Silverstone etc. The MSA can grant limited licenses to venues but this does tend to come with restrictions - limited number of starters, maximum engine capacity for competing cars, etc.

It looks to have the potential however one has to wonder where the finance will come from as there isn't a Cornish Assembly for them to get funding from.

I am sure should it happen then it would be well supported as the South West has one of the highest proportion of MSA Competition Licence holders per head of population. I could see it being used for not only racing but also sprints, single venue rallies & track-days and as such could well be a viable venture once established.

Now all we have to do is wait!

Old 29 Jun 2007, 10:05 (Ref:1949580)   #11
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funding from the Duchy of Cornwall!!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 10:06 (Ref:1949581)   #12
pmaster
Rookie

pmaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The two runways forming the central cross are CAA licensed and would therefore not probably be part of the circuit. Having flown at this site many hundreds of times I've always thought what a cracking track it would make. The perimeter tracks need a fair bit of work to be usable for racing, and you would need some awesome catch fencing to stop wayward cars going over the cliff onto the rocks 300' below. But... given that the nearest circuits (Thruxton or Combe) are over two-thirds the way to London, it would be a sensational venue. BTCC in late summer would be a massive event, and would give a huge boost to the local economy. John George deserves all the support he can muster to get this thing off the ground (no pun intended). Several years ago the local council got their fingers very badly burned, both in terms of finace and credibility, trying to restrict activities at the airfield, and more recently failed to stop further development including a large aircraft hangar. They may not have the stomach or nerve to fight a determined and well funded campaign, especially given that John is a major employer and bringing jobs into the district.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 10:10 (Ref:1949582)   #13
pmaster
Rookie

The "housing" you mention in the top left of the photograph (north) is in fact workshops and glider hangars. Perranporth itself starts some distance down the hill. There is a small hamlet called Trevellas to the south of the site and it is from here that potential objections will come.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1949615)   #14
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I think that part of the world desparately needs more attractions motor race circuits included as it is in danger of becoming a massive retirement home. My mate owns a hotel in Torquay .

Not Basil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 11:45 (Ref:1949625)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
May well be the way he runs the thing!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 22:35 (Ref:1950094)   #16
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ce?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1950537)   #17
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Rod the objector at the rally you wanted to watch WAS the Duke of Cornwall
seriously though the airfield looks ideal for a fast track and as some of you have said the SW needs more attractions to generate income and activity

yes its along slog for many and the area doesnt have good A roads or motorways but i fear the outsiders moving into the area will be the problem
as we know every race track as at least 1 moaner

The big question is who will finance it maybe The duke of Cornwall should be approached maybe he can reduce his tax bill by paying for the track
Old 1 Jul 2007, 06:43 (Ref:1950967)   #18
juliann
Rookie

juliann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
Funnily enough I was down there last week. Whilst the locals seem happy about it, others that have moved into the area are not. .
I'm an incomer and would be delighted seeing as my next nearest circuit is 215 miles away !
Old 1 Jul 2007, 13:52 (Ref:1951334)   #19
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would love to see a circuit down these parts
Old 1 Jul 2007, 15:20 (Ref:1951432)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Rod the objector at the rally you wanted to watch WAS the Duke of Cornwall
seriously though the airfield looks ideal for a fast track and as some of you have said the SW needs more attractions to generate income and activity

yes its along slog for many and the area doesnt have good A roads or motorways but i fear the outsiders moving into the area will be the problem
as we know every race track as at least 1 moaner

The big question is who will finance it maybe The duke of Cornwall should be approached maybe he can reduce his tax bill by paying for the track
Well, I hope that this track gets built, the issue with the cars going in to some wet stuff wouldn't be an issue if there weren't many corners facing it, and when was the last time someone landed in the H2O at Monaco where they are waay less than 322 metres from it?

I hope they use the runways as the perimter roads, if widened and resurfaced, could be used with it to give the area even more of a kick up the ass by making it possible to test bigger cars there. 1T licence COULD be possible if enough dough was chucked at it ...
Old 2 Jul 2007, 09:24 (Ref:1952095)   #21
driftwood
Veteran

runways could be used for drag strip perimeter road the track
add in 1 kart circuit motocross or supermoto track the place could earn a good income
Old 2 Jul 2007, 10:17 (Ref:1952134)   #22
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
runways could be used for drag strip perimeter road the track
add in 1 kart circuit motocross or supermoto track the place could earn a good income
There is probably a good income from the flying which anyone developing the site would be foolish to disregard, after all they still fly from Thruxton and Goodwood.

The trouble with such a multiplicity of uses is the massive investment required to develop all these facilities within the venue. I suspect that the first priority would be to get a race track established alongside the flying and once that has proved finacially viable consider other options.

Old 2 Jul 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1952315)   #23
pmaster
Rookie

There are currently about 200 flights a week from the airfield, which is a massive amount more than say even 2-3 years ago, so I doubt the owner will ignore that! There is also a very active flying school. The new dual section of the A30 has just opened, so access to the area is now very good.

Still, however infrequently cars go into the water at Monaco, at Perranporth you would only do it once... unless the cars were fitted with an ejector seat and parachute!!
Old 2 Jul 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1952372)   #24
driftwood
Veteran

if the airport is that busy could it close for 2 days per week testing and racing?
Old 2 Jul 2007, 14:39 (Ref:1952391)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This is great news!

Always used to have family holidays in Corwall, love the place, and often wondered if a circuit could be accomodated as there are a number of airfield sites and it's always been a long way for motorsport fans.
to travel back up country.

Yep as has been said the improved A30 would help traffic, a BTCC event would attract a big crowd (next question parking and amenities capacity??) and i'm sure the county would be a highly popular destination for motorsport competitiors and racegoers alike.

I doubt there would too be much disruption to the sites regular flying and other activites because the venue would probably get similar premission to that of Thruxton or somewhere - I.E limited number of days/weekends for sport use per year on noise gorunds?