Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Nov 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1761681)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oreca set to announce GT2 Viper project?

According to Endurance-Info, Oreca are set to announce a Dodge sanctioned GT2 project in Barcelona this weekend.

Should spice things up in GT2!
Old 9 Nov 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1761682)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It sounds like the same Viper GT2, built for International GT Open and Spanish GT that we heard about a month ago. That too was Racing Box. If so, this isn't an ACO or FIA GT eligible car.

This story came out on, or about October 4th, and was well discussed previously. A link to the story is here. (In German)

http://www.gt-eins.at/cms/index.php?...d=813&Itemid=1
Old 9 Nov 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1761695)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
It sounds like the same Viper GT2, built for International GT Open and Spanish GT that we heard about a month ago. That too was Racing Box. If so, this isn't an ACO or FIA GT eligible car.

This story came out on, or about October 4th, and was well discussed previously. A link to the story is here. (In German)

http://www.gt-eins.at/cms/index.php?...d=813&Itemid=1
No, the article clearly states that even if the project sounds similar to that of Racing Box, it is entirely independent. It is also worth noting that Laurent/Anthony have posted the article under the '24' (Le Mans related) category on Endurance-Info.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1761770)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
If it is a true ACO/FIA GT2, that would be interesting, though a shame they wouldn't go to GT1... and a bit curious at that.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1761786)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They tried the top level GT championship at first last time and then moved to GT2. This then became the top level. Perhaps they see that happening again and/or find it more worthwhile to compete in the lower category than go head to head with Aston and Corvette.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1761801)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Having gone through the original link, there is nothing in that article that differentiates this from the original Spanish GT/International GT Open.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1761853)   #7
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Having gone through the original link, there is nothing in that article that differentiates this from the original Spanish GT/International GT Open.
I assume you accept that this is not the Racing Box project (in disguise?). The wording of Antho's article very deliberately distances this project from that of Racing Box. It stresses the history which exists between Dodge and Oreca and the fact that this project has been sanctioned by Dodge. The detail will be made public at the weekend, but I'll be staggered if a GT2 Viper to ACO regs is not announced (that is most certainly what is being implied across the Channel).

We'll just have to wait for the official announcement at the weekend.............
Old 9 Nov 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1761866)   #8
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMSR:
Quote:
Dodge Motorsport Europe sez today that they are directly
involved in the Dodge Viper GT3 to GT2 Coupe' conversion
which is debuting this weekend in the GT Open in Barcelona. We
are also told that there have been MANY inquiries outside of this
series as to the feasibility of making similar changes for other series.
This does include some from the USA.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1762151)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
It has been pointed out to me that, as recently as a month ago, this subject (a full GT2 homologation) was addressed in an article on DSC. Whilst the source for the article acknowledged that full GT2 homologation for the Viper was not out of the question, it was unlikely to happen before 2008.

If there is one 'journal/source' I trust to be factual above all others it is Daily Sportscar. Which means either that there has been an extraordinary u turn (I have no doubt whatsoever that the DSC article was 100% accurate when it was written), or I (and some of our French friends) are reading more into this announcement than we should.

It still intrigues me though. Why this announcement when Dodge Europe have already confirmed the availability of a GTA upgrade?
Old 10 Nov 2006, 00:02 (Ref:1762157)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't see why Oreca couldn't put the running gear of the Competition Coupe 'GT2' car into a regular Viper, which could be ACO homologated, if the will from Dodge/Chrysler is there.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 07:19 (Ref:1762428)   #11
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
It has been pointed out to me that, as recently as a month ago, this subject (a full GT2 homologation) was addressed in an article on DSC. Whilst the source for the article acknowledged that full GT2 homologation for the Viper was not out of the question, it was unlikely to happen before 2008.
Itis worth adding here that the source for the article back in early October was Dodge Motorsport Europe themselves - They were very much involved with the Racing Box car and, just to ensure no further confusion, DME and ORECA are essentially one and the same organisation.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 08:45 (Ref:1762475)   #12
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Graham, the reference to "not before 2008" in your article makes a great deal of sense now I think about it. That would coincide with the launch of the new (and heavily revised) 2008 Viper which is in the pipeline.

I suspect I've created something of a 'Red Herring' with this thread!

Oops, sorry guys.....
Old 10 Nov 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1762477)   #13
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Graham, the reference to "not before 2008" in your article makes a great deal of sense now I think about it. That would coincide with the launch of the new (and heavily revised) 2008 Viper which is in the pipeline.

I suspect I've created something of a 'Red Herring' with this thread!

Oops, sorry guys.....
OK, let me get this straight, Dodge just released the new coupe, and they are goint to do another one in two years.
Odd, but nice.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1762512)   #14
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
OK, let me get this straight, Dodge just released the new coupe, and they are goint to do another one in two years.
Odd, but nice.
I've seen a number of articles floating around the web referring to the '2008 Viper'. I confess I haven't paid much attention to them, so unless the current car is in fact the model referred to in the articles, I've assumed that the '2008 Viper' is just that.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1762839)   #15
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, there will be no model year 2007 Viper, and in 2008 there will be a newly redesigned car, with more aggressive styling, and apparently much faster.

pit
Old 10 Nov 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1762944)   #16
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe?
On this side of the pond; an 08 would be released in mid 07. Therefore maybe Oreca/DME would try to homologate the new Viper for the 07 season. Will not the ACO give them some leeway if the car is being produced??
L.P.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1764129)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Have the Racing Box GT2 Vipers turned up at Barcelona?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1764858)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Is this then a full blown Viper for 2008 ? LM or FiaGT spec ?

That would be great to see the return of one of the most pleasing GT cars from the past few years . Oreca must be making a fortune from all the Vipers in various championships ..... support wise i mean .
Old 13 Nov 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1765087)   #19
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Is this then a full blown Viper for 2008 ? LM or FiaGT spec ?
This is very interesting question. The original announcement, some 4 weeks ago, said that there will be update for the Viper to Spanish GT GTA Class Spec. GTA Spec is similar to ACO / FIA GT2 Spec, but didn’t comply 100% to ACO / FIA rules.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1768829)   #20
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
?? Why is the GTS-R no longer legal in ACO competition. And could not the 8.0 L engine be utilized in the new Competition Coupe as to facilitate the Homologation process? http://engineering.oreca.fr/index.as...on=81&news=210 ORECA seems to have all the pieces to put together a ACO/FIA GT-2 car. And with all the uncertainty w/GT-1 I think it might be a smart move. If GT-1 should fail GT-2 is the top class and if it should prosper it is a rolling test bed to move up to GT-1 with the new Comp. Cpe.

L.P.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 07:12 (Ref:1768995)   #21
911 GT1
Racer

Germany
911 GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Viper GTS-R has an homologation until 2009. But maybe it couldn´t adapted to the latest ACO rules? I do not have the technical regulations complete in mind....so maybte that is the point.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1769243)   #22
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 GT1
The Viper GTS-R has an homologation until 2009. But maybe it couldn´t adapted to the latest ACO rules? I do not have the technical regulations complete in mind....so maybte that is the point.
The car is no longer in production as that is why its only homolgation is only until 2009 as it expires 5 years after a cars production has ended.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1769278)   #23
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
ACO Regulation 2.2.3 States 7 years for a car that had at least 100 cars produced the last year of production. 1 yr. for less than 100.

L.P.
Old 3 Jan 2007, 22:59 (Ref:1805641)   #24
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
So has anyone heard anything regarding the Viper. Is it going to be based on the new SRT10 possibly GTS coupe like the original GTS-R? Therefore being ACO eligible for homologation. As I would assume that the changes on the new model are sufficiant enough to void the current homologation.

Or is it truly all smoke and mirrors for now?

L.P.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1806404)   #25
EuropaBambaataa
Racer

Portugal
EuropaBambaataa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
So has anyone heard anything regarding the Viper. Is it going to be based on the new SRT10 possibly GTS coupe like the original GTS-R? Therefore being ACO eligible for homologation. As I would assume that the changes on the new model are sufficiant enough to void the current homologation.
The car was first shown at the International GT Open in Barcelona. It's a GT2-ized version of the Competition Coupe. It's valid only for Open GT, EGTS (Peroni) and National Championships, not for FIA or ACO events.

I like electronic boom-boom-boom sounds. So what?