Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Aug 2007, 02:16 (Ref:1989284)   #1
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Charity Off-Season Race??

Do you guys think it will be interesting for FIA to organise a off-season charity race for all F1 fans, with the following format:-

1) Race will be held in Dec/Jan during the off season
2) All proceed from the event will go to charity
3) Drivers will have to swop cars and team (ie. WDC will have to drive for the weakest team and slowest car etc)
4) In order not to upset sponsors, all cars and race suits will NOT be painted with sponsors color)
5) Ex-WDC will be invited to participate in the race
6) Location of the race will be on circuit which have to left out for the season.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 02:19 (Ref:1989285)   #2
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I quite like the idea. However, instead of making them race in F1 cars, make them all race in identical saloon cars. Painted in the colours of their team. Would show you who the actual best of all the current drivers is.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 02:39 (Ref:1989295)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Make them use F1 cars. Just make them use the ones from the 1980s turbo era.

Do that and I might just die.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1989439)   #4
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Make them use F1 cars. Just make them use the ones from the 1980s turbo era.

Do that and I might just die.
do you think those will be faster than today f1 car?
Old 15 Aug 2007, 10:35 (Ref:1989443)   #5
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put the drivers in Caterham 7's

Good idea thou cos its for charity!
Old 15 Aug 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1989445)   #6
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You think the FIA would be willing to run it if it was for charity?

Nice idea though, but the cycnic in me knows that the FIA would always ask what's in it for them.

Put them in SuperTouring Cars please, at Knockhill.... In December.

Old 15 Aug 2007, 10:47 (Ref:1989447)   #7
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback
Do you guys think it will be interesting for FIA to organise a off-season charity race for all F1 fans, with the following format:-

1) Race will be held in Dec/Jan during the off season
2) All proceed from the event will go to charity
3) Drivers will have to swop cars and team (ie. WDC will have to drive for the weakest team and slowest car etc)
4) In order not to upset sponsors, all cars and race suits will NOT be painted with sponsors color)
5) Ex-WDC will be invited to participate in the race
6) Location of the race will be on circuit which have to left out for the season.
it's funny you should say this, because I had a random but vivid dream about something like this a few days ago - it was on a normal road turned into a circuit (monaco style but the circuit was nothing like Monaco) and it was excellent with swooping little hills going up and down, and a mix of really high and slow speed corners amidst them. There were hundreds of thousands of people lined up along the length of the circuit, right next to the road (like marathon or tour de france) and it all had a bit of a carnivaly feel to it.

It was a one off charity thing, and they were all in F1 cars. But strangely while Kimi was in a Ferrari, Alonso was in the old blue and yellow Renault...and Schumi was also in a Ferrari partnering Kimi. I think I saw Nico in a Williams doing quite well, and the two BMWs...

it was all rather odd.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1989496)   #8
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
fraggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella
it's funny you should say this, because I had a random but vivid dream about something like this a few days ago - it was on a normal road turned into a circuit (monaco style but the circuit was nothing like Monaco) and it was excellent with swooping little hills going up and down, and a mix of really high and slow speed corners amidst them. There were hundreds of thousands of people lined up along the length of the circuit, right next to the road (like marathon or tour de france) and it all had a bit of a carnivaly feel to it.

It was a one off charity thing, and they were all in F1 cars. But strangely while Kimi was in a Ferrari, Alonso was in the old blue and yellow Renault...and Schumi was also in a Ferrari partnering Kimi. I think I saw Nico in a Williams doing quite well, and the two BMWs...

it was all rather odd.
my dot com twin strikes again.. I had a dream about it as well quite a few months ago..I dreamt of a charity race held in november at silverstone with F1 teams participating..
Old 15 Aug 2007, 12:27 (Ref:1989519)   #9
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella

it was all rather odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggs
my dot com twin strikes again.. I had a dream about it as well quite a few months ago..I dreamt of a charity race held in november at silverstone with F1 teams participating..
You guys need to stop eating chesse on toast before you go to bed

You won't have nightmares then
Old 15 Aug 2007, 13:05 (Ref:1989543)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could be fun to have them all racing on a track they don't know, in identical cars that aren't like anything they've raced before, but it'd be a nightmare to organise. Putting on a motorsport event is inherently expensive, and it would require F1-size crowd and security, at a track which is presumably not used to hosting such big events. Getting 22 identical cars and being prepared for damage to them could be awkward, and would teams be obliged to release the drivers for it anyway? A red-tie dinner would raise far more money for far less hassle.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 15 Aug 2007 at 13:08.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1989584)   #11
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Could be fun to have them all racing on a track they don't know, in identical cars that aren't like anything they've raced before, but it'd be a nightmare to organise. Putting on a motorsport event is inherently expensive, and it would require F1-size crowd and security, at a track which is presumably not used to hosting such big events. Getting 22 identical cars and being prepared for damage to them could be awkward, and would teams be obliged to release the drivers for it anyway? A red-tie dinner would raise far more money for far less hassle.
I would prefer that they use back the same car they race in the same season so as to minimize cost. however I think it will be more interest that they swap cars so e.g we will be able to see little ant or sato driving a mclaren while alonso will be driving a super Aguri side by side with hamilton.

As for hosting fee, I am sure if Bernie is willing give up the trackside advertising and TV revenue for this event it will be more than enough to cover. Plus after 2 months break for F1, I am sure many people will be crying for a off season race.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 20:42 (Ref:1989793)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
do you think those will be faster than today f1 car?
Laptimes isn't the consideration I had in mind.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 03:10 (Ref:1989930)   #13
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about making it spec Formula Ford, with the cars done up in the regular livery?

Or they could just make the ROC for charity.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 11:32 (Ref:1990883)   #14
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
fraggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces
You guys need to stop eating chesse on toast before you go to bed

You won't have nightmares then
haha...
Old 18 Aug 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1991172)   #15
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
What about making it spec Formula Ford, with the cars done up in the regular livery?

Or they could just make the ROC for charity.
the RoC is for charity...is it not?
Old 19 Aug 2007, 08:59 (Ref:1991817)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have a kart 4 hour endurance race in a city of something with drivers of F1 and junior categories teaming up. Bercy, bercy...
Old 19 Aug 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1991851)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get them in identical half-size NASCAR style racing cars with moped engines (like Arena Racing USA, it does work, they use a 13hp honda generator unit), sticker them up like the road cars of that make, set up a track in Wembley Stadium with the roof over (it would sound the mutts nuts, even if the cars are a bit different). The cars, I imagine, would be quite cheap, especially if they were ARUSA cars (We're talking about moped engines but they are so light they can do 100mph - remember they are racing INDOORS)

Have 22 F1 drivers plus the 11 third drivers and some touring car and sportscar drivers with a couple of ex-champions, bringing the total up to 40 or something.

Then have a number of heats and a final.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 01:44 (Ref:1992426)   #18
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
The cost of building special cars for such race will be too much to actually make a charity event feasible. I think the main attraction of such event is to allow the drivers of the smaller team a chance to shine with a good car and also top drivers a chance to drive in a slower car.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 05:43 (Ref:1992474)   #19
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Is the Bernie Ecclestone Benevolent fund a registered charity?
Old 20 Aug 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1992775)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The cost of building special cars for such race will be too much to actually make a charity event feasible. I think the main attraction of such event is to allow the drivers of the smaller team a chance to shine with a good car and also top drivers a chance to drive in a slower car.
Not if those cars (the stadium cars I suggested) are used by an actual series and the old ones are used for the off season event.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1993093)   #21
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky

Put them in SuperTouring Cars please, at Knockhill.... In December.

Nothing special about that... we get the same weather during the summer
Old 20 Aug 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1993112)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
F1 could learn a lot from NASCAR.

MotoGP has a pre-season pole position "race" were the winner gets a BMW car.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1993121)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Cars are available: www.speedcarseries.com (this new series has the support of Ecclestone)

Last edited by FIRE; 20 Aug 2007 at 21:06.