Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 May 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1603492)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hamilton enters frame for '07 McLaren seat

Lewis Hamilton's dominance of GP2 over the weekend has reportedly made Ron think a bit more seriously about adding him to the shortlist for the second McLaren seat.

He says they aim to have the best drivers available and Lewis has only added to those options (or something like that)

If a younger driver really excels then why shouldn't he step straight into a top seat...

I know traditionally, it hardly ever happens but if he continues to sweep up this year then it would be daft to waste him in an uncompetitive car when he could do a good job straight away?

If he doesn't get a McLaren race drive what are the other racing options open to him that will allow Ron to hang onto him rather than let him go on a contract he's not in control of elsewhere?
Old 8 May 2006, 16:53 (Ref:1603500)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would agree that there is no reason why Lewis Hamilton shouldn't get a McLaren seat, however, Ron Dennis has traditonally expressed reticence towards putting a rookie into one of his cars; I think Andrea de Cesaris, Michael Andretti and Jan Magnussen are the exceptions, neither can be considered a success. So therefore a seat in a more mid table team is perhaps a little more likely.
Old 8 May 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1603503)   #3
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For a new driver to enter F1 an established driver has to leave F1 not just the team...I don't see it happening. Paffett is also in the wings too remember.
Old 8 May 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1603512)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
True, but I think there'll be a fair few people making way in several teams at the end of the season, judging by their current respective woes.

I rate Gary highly and he ought to have a race drive next year too, but are McLaren or Mercedes viewing his long term path in the same way as they are with Lewis?
Old 8 May 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1603794)   #5
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, Mercedes must be mindful of Schumi, Frentzen, Wendlinger, Webber all of whom got a serious legup in sportscars, only to leave them... A seat at direxiv (if it happens) or Prodrive (when it happens) may prove possible don't you think? Still begs the question of how to keep him for 2007 (because someone good has to leave, really, no?) because he may just win GP2
Old 9 May 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1603832)   #6
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nico's rather smooth transition (to date) can only be good for the other GP2 guys. Perhaps, this will prompt that Lewis get a shot sooner rather than later. Lets face it, all the teams and team principals are dreaming of signing the next star and the first place you look should be right under your nose; grab a guy before someone else does. Nico did not get much publicity before his signing with Williams, but he looks like he has the goods.
Old 11 May 2006, 00:08 (Ref:1605542)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
For a new driver to enter F1 an established driver has to leave F1 not just the team...I don't see it happening. Paffett is also in the wings too remember.

Good point. DC out but Ant, Lewis or Gary in?
Old 8 May 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1603504)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope the man doesn't hold him down.
Old 8 May 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1603507)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In modern F1 there is far too much for a rookie driver it learn, for having them in a top team to be a logical approach. Not only the driving, but the thinking-on-your-feet tactics, the extra press intrusion, knowing when not to push too hard, and several new cirucits to learn (even for a driver who has been in GP2). Midfield teams, especially Jordan and Sauber, have tended to have the most successes with rookie drivers. Perhaps there is something in Ron's mentality which makes him very risk-averse with new drivers though. Probably something called Andrea de Crasharis.
Old 9 May 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1604038)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nico has had 3 offs in 5 races, and the one in Melbourne wasn't his fault. That's compared to Ant having 2 in 2 races at Minardi. Everybody makes a few mistakes early in their career, even Michael did. Coonsidering the amount of mechanical failures Williams have had, I don't think they can get better results than they've been picking up.
Old 9 May 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1604375)   #11
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Nico has had 3 offs in 5 races, and the one in Melbourne wasn't his fault. That's compared to Ant having 2 in 2 races at Minardi. Everybody makes a few mistakes early in their career, even Michael did. Coonsidering the amount of mechanical failures Williams have had, I don't think they can get better results than they've been picking up.
AD didn't damage his car, he just beached it (and there was a reason, ask Justin Wilson) and remember AD hadn't tested it before racing it. His brief was just to get that heap onto the grid for the sponsors, and he did both times which the regular driver couldn't! Yes every driver makes mistakes but there are 'racing incidents' and 'Rookie errors' that was my point.

But this thread is about Hamilton, he might be the talk of the British press understandably talking him up, desperate for a national front runner, but by Lewis's own admission he isn't getting into the McLaren team straight from GP2.
Old 9 May 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1604039)   #12
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dream team: Alonso & Hamilton.

Paffet? nice guy, good driver, not in the same league IMO
Old 9 May 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1604444)   #13
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rennen, its unrealistic that you consider Davidson to be on the same skill level as Nico and Lewis. I know that he is your son and all....

Clearly if Davidson was THAT good he'd already have a drive. With Honda no less. Star quality us obvious to all without blinkers, and those with blinkers are always the minority.

I rate Davidson exactly as a Luca Badoer type of driver (no shame in that~wish it was me). basically, an excellent test driver.

Last edited by Frank_White; 9 May 2006 at 17:47.
Old 9 May 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1604535)   #14
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Lewis is a class act and those wins were excellent, however its early days yet and lots of the season left. Lets see how things look at the end of the season. If he carries on like this i expect he will be in F1 somewhere in 2007.
Old 9 May 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1604632)   #15
Raven
Veteran

England
I'm not sure there was anything "super" about Blundell's time spent in F1.
Old 10 May 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1605111)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Well, in 1995 he got 13 points from 14 races, having started the season without a drive - team-mate Hakkinen got 17 from 14 races, having already been with the team for 2 years. The previous year he outscored team-mate Katayama 8-5. Not a terrible record by any means.
Old 10 May 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1605178)   #17
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Blundell had good money in Formula Ford but ran F3000 on a shoestring and got himself into Formula 1. Was never considered a real frontline driver but did pretty well with what he had and certainly didn't disgrace himself.

Hamilton has had good funding in pretty well every formula and has produced the goods in all of them. I can see, given the breaks (which he is highly likely to get) he'll do the same in F1.

I'd rather see the likes of Hamilton, & Piquet etc given a shot at F1 (like Rosberg) and lose some of those past their best.
Old 10 May 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1605487)   #18
Raven
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Well, in 1995 he got 13 points from 14 races, having started the season without a drive - team-mate Hakkinen got 17 from 14 races, having already been with the team for 2 years. The previous year he outscored team-mate Katayama 8-5. Not a terrible record by any means.
Yeah, but a lot of those points came Blundell's way through attrition.
In terms of pure pace I don't remember him ever outqualifying Hakkinen and I think Katayama was faster than him as well more often than not.
Old 10 May 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1605499)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, they both had 15 races (not 14).

Blundell out-qualifed Mika in the Portuguese GP (12th to 13th). This made it 14-1 in Mika's favour.

I may be wrong on these accounts, but I don't think so.
Old 11 May 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1605551)   #20
Raven
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Well, they both had 15 races (not 14).

Blundell out-qualifed Mika in the Portuguese GP (12th to 13th). This made it 14-1 in Mika's favour.

I may be wrong on these accounts, but I don't think so.
I think Boots is right on the count of both drivers starting 14 races that year - Blundell moved aside for Mansell to race at San Marino and Spain while Hakkinen missed both Aida and Adelaide.

But you're right about Blundell outqualifying Hakkinen in Portugal.
Old 11 May 2006, 05:13 (Ref:1605620)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
I think Boots is right on the count of both drivers starting 14 races that year - Blundell moved aside for Mansell to race at San Marino and Spain while Hakkinen missed both Aida and Adelaide.
There were 17 races in 1995. 17 - 2 = 15.

Anyway, regarding the topic in question, I would be surprised if Hamilton leapt straight into Mclaren. Dennis has made it pretty clear he would want to farm him out for a season or two. Having said that, though, if Hamilton is stunning for the remainder of the GP2 season...then, well, perhaps he might change his mind.

Perhaps if the rumours of the Mercedes buy-out run true in the remainder of this season, then we will see them promote Lewis?

I dunno...I would be very surprised if we see Hamilton in a Mclaren in 2007, but in F1 in some capacity...that is certainly possible.
Old 11 May 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1605673)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quickly re the Blundell stuff - he apparently had a 'weight' penalty against Ukyo in '95 and whilst the chassis was ok, the Judd/Yamaha was bit short on puff as I recall.

Nice to see some of you guys supporting 'Mega' - I don't think he got the right breaks at the top - defo one of those guys who eventually got shot with right team but at totally the wrong time ( a la Steve Johnson, Johnny Herbert, Jean Alesi etc, etc). Senna thought he was pretty good with speed and feedback whilse testing at McLaren in '91 IIRC.

There are certain similarities in career and style with Paffet I reckon.

Back to Lewis - I would day that if he manages to dominate rest of the season, or pulls off some highly memorable races as he did in Nurby that will only add to his rep.

On that basis if McLaren don't get a name or ace to stay/join Alonso then he may well end up top of the list - name aside why pay Williams big buskcs to sign Rosberg when they could 'promote' Lewis, whom they already know well anayway?
Old 11 May 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1606234)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Mika missed the Adelaide event due to his near fatal accident in free practice. So doesn't that mean that Blundell started more races than Mika?
Old 11 May 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1606279)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Mika missed the Adelaide event due to his near fatal accident in free practice. So doesn't that mean that Blundell started more races than Mika?
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Blundell moved aside for Mansell to race at San Marino and Spain while Hakkinen missed both Aida and Adelaide.
Quote:
Old 11 May 2006, 00:55 (Ref:1605556)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton is the topic yea?
montoya likely out- any chance toyota would want hiM?
i don't see him going to a smaller budget team yet.
Kimi and alonso at Maclaren- hailton as friday driver, or a mercedes prodrive junior squad? hamilton race seat! (any idea wht engines prodrive will use?)