Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 10 May 2004, 20:29 (Ref:966879)   #1
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BSB Round-up

Just a few queries about the next couple of rounds and rider situations...

1. Plater is out for at least two rounds after breaking his wrist. Any idea who will replace him?

2. Apparently Kiyonari broke his collar bone at Oulton - how long will he be out for? And will they have another rider on the Honda?

3. Dean Ellison hasn't been out since Silverstone! What's happened to the guy? That Sendo Ducati team is going well at the moment, it's a shame he's not out!

4. Paul Bird says he expects more from Sean Emmett! Is this unfair to Sean and can anyone see him out of Monstermob before the end of the year?!
Old 10 May 2004, 20:55 (Ref:966903)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I cant answer any of the first 3 questions, but the 4th I can give my opinion on. Personally I dont think that Sean Emmet is doing that good at Job at Monster mob, sure he could be doing a lot worse, but for a team that won the title last year with Byrne, having a rider in 4th place in the riders championship is a bit of a come down. As for who could replace Emmet at Monstermob, who knows, perhaps someone from Supersport or Moto GP or WSBK...
Old 11 May 2004, 12:55 (Ref:967622)   #3
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Emmett was the wrong choice for MonsterMob in my view. He's basically yesterday's man, and with the increased effort of Suzuki and Honda, they really need someone who can maximise the bike and improve as the season goes on.

I doubt Plater will be replaced, as they've already got 2 riders in what is a midfield team. Kiyonari may not miss a round, Reynolds didn't last year. No idea as for Ellison, money may be the issue.
Old 12 May 2004, 10:10 (Ref:968494)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram
Emmett - He's basically yesterday's man.
i thought that 2 or 3 years ago

Last edited by gomick; 12 May 2004 at 10:11.
Old 13 May 2004, 19:23 (Ref:970183)   #5
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram
I doubt Plater will be replaced, as they've already got 2 riders in what is a midfield team.
Virgin Mobile Samsung Yamaha today confirmed that former Virgin Mobile racer James Haydon is set to make his 100th British Superbike appearance at Mondello Park, Ireland, in nine days time as he steps in for the injured Steve Plater.

Haydon, who has amassed a total of 98 British superbike starts and nine victories, returns to the team he last rode for in 2001, when he finished fourth in the Championship and graced the podium 12 times. The 29-year-old racer recently tested the all-new Yamaha R1 and is looking forward to working with the team at the next three rounds.

"I didn't think I would see myself back at Virgin Mobile this year, but to be asked to step in for Steve is an honour," said Haydon, who has already made an appearance in the British Superbikes this year when he rode the ETI Ducati at the Snetterton round. "It's great to work with Rob and the team again; they are a great bunch of professionals. I tested the bike earlier in the week and had a smile on my face all day.

"The bike was good and the engine fantastic. We did some work on the set-up for me and the day was very productive. I've never raced at Mondello before, so I know I'll have a lot of work to do when we get there, but it will be great to back on track with Virgin Mobile again."

Team boss Rob McElnea is also looking forward to seeing Haydon put the Yamaha through its paces at the tricky Irish track and is confident that his former employee will produce a pleasing result in the Emerald Isle.

"It's always rather frustrating when your number one rider is sidelined with an injury, at any stage in the season," McElnea commented. "Luckily we were fortunate enough to be able to call on James and recruit him for Mondello, Thruxton and Brands. We had a good test earlier in the week: it gave James a good feel for the bike and we were pleased with the results gained."

Virgin Mobile's Brand Director James Kydd was also pleased to hear that Haydon would be standing in for Plater. "It will be great to see James back in action with the Virgin Mobile squad and we hope that he has a productive meeting in Ireland," he said. "Obviously it was unfortunate that Steve was injured at Oulton Park and we wish him a speedy recovery and James the best of luck for the next three races."

This is good for James and hopefully he can make more of an impact but it says for 3 rounds so Plater must be missing Brands too, which is a shame!

And also...

The Think! British Superbike Championship and its associated supporting classes will race on the famous Grand Prix layout when it returns to Brands Hatch in June, following confirmation by the circuit owners.

Motorsport Vision MD Jonathan Palmer has underlined the intention to use the full GP layout despite a recent decision to revert the British Touring Car Championship to the smaller Indy circuit.

"On completing the purchase of the circuits group, including Brands Hatch, I faced the challenge of starting to turn round a business that had made losses of over £3m per year over at least the last two years," Palmer said, explaining the reasoning behind both decisions.

"To the surprise of many, the economics of running the major promoted race events like British Touring Cars are fragile. The circuits are required to provide circuit facilities free of charge, pay substantial sanction fees and incur costs typically over £50,000 to provide all the services associated with handling large crowds. A big paying crowd is vital to cover these costs and contribute to the general overheads of the circuit operation before any profits at all can be generated.

"Part of the measures I implemented was to propose to run all promoted events on the Indy circuit at Brands Hatch, as the extra costs of providing the Grand Prix circuit, around £30,000, were unjustified in terms of commercial return. If the championships wished to run on the Grand Prix circuit, I said that I was very happy to do so - if a mechanism for covering these extra costs could be found."

Palmer admitted that the success of the BSB, particularly at attracting a large paying crowd, went some way to making his mind up.

"Although obviously coming from a car racing background, I have been enthralled with the spectacle of the bike racing in the British Superbike Championship," he said, "We have had three events at our circuits now - Brands Hatch, Snetterton and Oulton Park - and each one has seen a big crowd.

"I have been particularly impressed with the attitude and approachability of all the riders and team personnel that I have met in British Superbikes. The unbelievable on-track action proves these top riders really are heroes and, crucially for the circuits, appreciate the importance of mixing with the fans.

"From the outset, BSB generally understood the reasons behind my proposal to run both races on the Indy circuit at Brands Hatch. Some key people have worked hard to come up with ideas to justify the extra cost of the Grand Prix circuit. Although we have not yet been able to confirm any clear mechanisms to achieve this, I am very appreciative of the attitude of those involved, the quality of the show and its proven appeal to the spectating fans.

"I am therefore delighted to announce that round seven of the British Superbike Championship will be held on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit - and I look forward to a great crowd watching some outstanding action!"

This is also good news as the GP track always gives us good racing! Articles taken from www.crash.net

Last edited by ATF; 13 May 2004 at 19:24.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:49 (Ref:974253)   #6
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On this occasion I'm glad to be wrong, partly because James is a good rider, and parytly because he's a bloody awful commentator and there's more chance that he won't be used by the BBC so frequently.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 17:59 (Ref:991806)   #7
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Thruxton Update

Gregorio Lavilla will replace Kagayama for the Thruxton round (Yuki broke his collar bone, if you didn't know). I think Lavilla is a quality rider and should do well but has one minor setback this weekend...

"I have never heard of Thruxton before, never mind raced at this venue!"

So, how do you reckon he will do?