Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Apr 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1277629)   #1
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ Car Racing Venues In General.

Until I became a member of this site I never knew that Champ Car and IRL had so many fans out the United States and North America. I figured most people from Europle and the rest of the world watched only F1 and F3000SuperFund Euro Series and were not interested in Champ Car and IRL. I see I was totally wrong and it changed my view on Champ Car only having races inside of North America. I have been a long time fan of F1 and Indy Racing before the split and I started watching Champ Car racing a few years ago when Paul Tracey won his first ChampionShip and I love the sport, Unfortunetly i missed the Season Opener this year but im babling.

To get to the point Champ Car has 14 rounds and i think they should another 4, Where do you guys think Champ Car should race at? and what type track do you think they should be? Theres alot of talk right now about Long Beach, I for one hope Champ Car hangs on to it cause its my favorite event of the season for them. They currently have 3 races in Canada which I think is great cause Canadian drivers like Paul Tracey and Jack Villenuve got there start in the sport and became famous with it and with it attracted alot of canadian fans. I also think great american classic tracks like Long Beach, Cleavland are neccesary for the sport to surivive and to keep there long time american fans like myself. Unfortunetely those are the only tracks left on the scedule from the glory years of 80's and 90's. Champ car needs to go back to Detroit's Bell Ile or at least start a new street circuit some where. Detroit has a huge champ car following. Looking at the Scedule for this year I dont see Laguna Seca on the list or St Peterburg Florida which after watching the IRL race last weekend i came to the conclusion they stole the venue from ChampCar. I think one more race in Mexico would not hurt the series ether.

But as I said in the begining of the post I am very Surprized at the amount fans in the rest of the world and I see why champ car is spreading to foreign countries. I would like to See a Race in England. There seems to be a large following there of ChampCar and I don't know if this is just from thier great love of Racing or the following Nigel Mansell brought in 93 and 94 while racing in indy car, but i think its great. I think the race in Australia is fantastic and Ausi's love there motorsport. I'm still skeptical about the race in Korea but I wont judge till i see it on Teleivison, but I think a race in Brazil, Japan, china and maybe Paul Ricard in France would be a nice place since Sebastien Bourdi is such a big star in France and is probably the most talented drive is Alain Prost.

I also think that Champ Car should have more then Just two Oval Races. Not so many to confuse it with the IRL but 3 or 5 a season would be good. I think this way it would be the Utlimate Open Wheel Racing Series complete with Street Circuits, Road Courses, and Ovals spreading all over America, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Europe, Australia, and South America. I think it would help the sport grow and increase its fan base. This is not an IRL bash because I also watch the IRL but I think if Champ Car did this is would become superior to the IRL or at least seperate itself completely from it and become a phenom of its own on it own. They have the stand cosworth engines so now they dont have to worry about engine suppliers and i believe it becomes more global more people will become interested in forming teams.

Please post your opinon my extreme long post lol

Last edited by Xpunk75; 13 Apr 2005 at 22:36.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 05:47 (Ref:1277747)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Racing in Europe is not a good idea.

It was a mistake before and would be again.

The racing scene here is too crowded.

ChampCar needs to keep focussed on "The Americas" - USA, Canada, Mexico, plus the race in Australia.

As for Sebastien Bourdais being "a big star" in France - I would venture the average man in the street doesn't know who he is.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1277757)   #3
NorCal
Rookie

United States
Northern CA
NorCal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Kickin Back but why Australia?...there are only 2 open wheel series in the US and way too many (no doubt) competitive open wheel series in Europe. CART and IRL would be better off focusing North America. Why have a struggling series fly to Australia or Korea?
All I need is Laguna Seca, Elkhart Lake and Long Beach !!!!
Old 14 Apr 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1277758)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Because the event in Australia is a long-standing, successful one which contributes to the overall well being of the series.

It's good to have one "away race" - but Europe and Asia would be steps too far, in my opinion.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 06:52 (Ref:1277764)   #5
NorCal
Rookie

United States
Northern CA
NorCal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed a good track with attendance but is "Aussie Vineyards" enough of a sponser to off set the travel costs? Granted, I'm not familiar with the comp plan with bringing a race to my town but it sure seems like a lot of expenses to have a 3 day event. I just heard on the local news that Silicon Valley race has had to change the course due to the disruption of "normal" traffic in the area so the City of San Jose is going to cover the $200K cost to do so. Certainly no cheap venture for S.J. but how can these actions benefit the longevity of Champ Cars?
Old 14 Apr 2005, 07:12 (Ref:1277772)   #6
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Australia is good. You get full crowds (Now they might not all be there *just* for the Champcars, but they stay for the race), great weather a great attitude and the whole of Australia gets 2-3 days of full uninterupted Champcar and V8 coverage - probably more coverage there than for the rest of the season.

It's like Champcar's Monnaco.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1277813)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
We've got two airports now, and they're gonna be awesome. But what we need is another superspeedway to add to Vegas (which I don't really consider a "super"speedway in the first place). And it's got to be a "500" - to me ChampCar just isn't ChampCar without at least one long-distance run.

They should have Elkhart Lake on the schedule, no doubt about that. Even if the gates don't make a profit, the TV audience should. And keeping the fans happy should be an important factor here, too.

Australia must remain a staple. And I'll reserve judgement on other Pacific-Rim events until we've had to opportunity to see what happens.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 09:55 (Ref:1277868)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
awesome. But what we need is another superspeedway to add to Vegas (which I don't really consider a "super"speedway in the first place). And it's got to be a "500" - to me ChampCar just isn't ChampCar without at least one long-distance run.

Indianapolis would be ideal
Old 14 Apr 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1278192)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
We've got two airports now, and they're gonna be awesome. But what we need is another superspeedway to add to Vegas (which I don't really consider a "super"speedway in the first place). And it's got to be a "500" - to me ChampCar just isn't ChampCar without at least one long-distance run.

They should have Elkhart Lake on the schedule, no doubt about that. Even if the gates don't make a profit, the TV audience should. And keeping the fans happy should be an important factor here, too.

Australia must remain a staple. And I'll reserve judgement on other Pacific-Rim events until we've had to opportunity to see what happens.
Extremely well said, and they might as well bring back the triple crown while they're at it. Michigan, Pocono (with SAFER barriers in place the age-old "it's not safe" argument doesn't hold water anymore) and Fontana would be awesome
Old 14 Apr 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1277923)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Agree K-B, Indy is centrally located, attracts a large crowd and is indeed a "long run."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1277951)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Europe has been tried and was a failure - the series needs to concentrate on its core markets above all, there aren't enough races in the US right now. China and Korea could actually be fairly shrewd moves, but I do worry about the sheer cost, and the fact that it would neccessitate a lot of time away from the main North American fanbase.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1277962)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Europe has been tried and was a failure - the series needs to concentrate on its core markets above all, there aren't enough races in the US right now. China and Korea could actually be fairly shrewd moves, but I do worry about the sheer cost, and the fact that it would neccessitate a lot of time away from the main North American fanbase.
If at first you don't succeed -- QUIT! Now that strategy has been successful for businesses and individuals since time began.

Add to that the strategy "If people in one area have indicated no interest at all in your product, concentrate all your marketing efforts on those people, ignoring totaly the people who actually DO want your product." and you have a recipe for failure that, er, can't fail.

So if we want to guarantee Champ Cars will fail, all we have to do is ignore the markets where people want our product (e.g. England) and concentrate on those areas where they do not (The USA), and voila! The Other Guys will win!

Oh, wait, that wasn't our aim, was it? Well, gee whiz. Maybe we ought to concentrate harder on implimenting that strategy anyway ...
Old 14 Apr 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1278025)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
So if we want to guarantee Champ Cars will fail, all we have to do is ignore the markets where people want our product (e.g. England) and concentrate on those areas where they do not (The USA), and voila! The Other Guys will win!

2006 ChampCar calendar

1. Mexico City
2. Brands Hatch
3. Silverstone
4. Donington Park
5. Snetterton
6. Oulton Park
7. Thruxton
8. Castle Combe
9. Toronto
10. Montreal
11. Monterrey
12. Surfers Paradise

That could work!
Old 14 Apr 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1278050)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No Europe.

While there are fans in Europe, are there enough to satisfy the costs for travelling across the world. In my mind, CCWS need to create some stability in its environment, jet setting will not create thus.

Some how CCWS has to get America working, that has to be the priority. Getting more classic road courses back on the schedule a priority, finding mope oval tracks (to me) a priority and finally generating revenue streams through selected OS events (Aus, Korea ) a priority.

Not sure attempting to access a crowded market that hasn't proved successful in the past, as a priority
Old 14 Apr 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1278094)   #15
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ Car would probably benefit more from double billing at venues with Grand Am and ALMS wherever possible. Anything to improve the show, Atlantics and TransAm are hardly the greatest support series in America.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1278475)   #16
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Long Beach
Monterrey
Milwaukee
Portland
Cleveland
Toronto
Edmonton
San Jose
Denver
Montreal
Las Vegas
Korea
Australia
Mexico City
Laguna Seca
China
Japan
Germany
Brazil
Argentinia
Old 16 Apr 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1279628)   #17
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with keeping Surfers - it is part of CCWS/CART history plus it is a wonderful setting. I don't think it is the Monaco for CCWS - that is Long Beach and should have been St. Pete!!

I have always wondered why CCWS did not do an additional race in Australia? Much like Canada, the Aussie's have been loyal supporters. Looking at a map - why no race in Perth for instance?

Last edited by trout; 16 Apr 2005 at 13:59.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 02:38 (Ref:1279955)   #18
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trout
Looking at a map - why no race in Perth for instance?
The Western Australia state government aren't big on motorsport. They do currently have a round of the World Rally Championship, but they are not renewing the deal.

In terms of Motorsport in Australia, there are two centre's. Once is South East Queensland, and the other is Victoria.

The Adelaide street circuit might be an idea. You could the Champ Cars/V8 Supercars combination at both the Clipsal 500, and the Honda Indy.

How fast would a champ car go thru turn 8 at Adelaide

I'd love to see the Champ Cars at Phillip Island... but that will never happen for two reasons ... its probably not safe enough, and its too far away from people.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1280160)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
The Adelaide street circuit might be an idea. You could the Champ Cars/V8 Supercars combination at both the Clipsal 500, and the Honda Indy.

How fast would a champ car go thru turn 8 at Adelaide

I'd love to see the Champ Cars at Phillip Island... but that will never happen for two reasons ... its probably not safe enough, and its too far away from people.

Both of those would be great, and compared to quite a few other street circuits Adelaide is a very good one.

Last edited by rustyfan; 17 Apr 2005 at 10:14.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1278549)   #20
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it was the previous owners who screwed up in europe maybe the race at brands 04 was nt the best but there was a good crowd there the same at rockingham i dont think they marketed it right no local radio or press coverage thats the problem with europe you cant just arrive set a race up, you have to sell it to the people in my opinon they did not do that as for asia i think they will do very well i can see korean people coming in there droves to see it same with china
Old 15 Apr 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1278666)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
My gradeschool teachers would have called that a "run-on sentence". It would have been easier to read if there was more punctuation than a single comma!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1278777)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The knock on Pocono and Michigan was the quality of the racing surface - not the walls. Winters are cruel to these sorts of facilities and both have a surface that could charitably be called "undulating."

To the point about OWRS going where it is wanted, the juxtaposition here is that the Series itself is based in North America, has been successful there and it would be beneficial to rejuvenate "old" fans rather than go to Pyongyang or Singapore or Shanghai or East Kaboodle where there are no fans at all.

The Euro Trips under Pook were (imho) simply attempts to generate interest in the Series rather than a reaching out to a potential UK fan base. OWRS does not have the resources to mount a world-wide "Comeback Tour."

Last edited by JohnSSC; 15 Apr 2005 at 10:47.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1278993)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the moment the series needs to make some money and get some sponsorship on the cars and for the venues/promoters. Compromises to the ultimate stratagy may have to be made for that to happen.

An interesting point is that the IRL has created some successful US events. If they can do it, so can CC, I see no fundimental difference in that. They also need to try to get more people out to existing races like Portland and Cleveland so that those events are more significant. Why should the TO race have a 70k race day attendance, but Cleveland only 20k when they're only a couple hundred miles apart?
Old 16 Apr 2005, 00:34 (Ref:1279323)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
If $$ are what you need then why go overseas (except for Surfer's) - how much does it cost to ship everything, find hotels, flights, etc for the crew/drivers/owners?

In the Fed-Ex days they hoofed everyone overseas as part of the sponsorship but that exists no more. Is someone footing the bill we don't know about here?
Old 16 Apr 2005, 01:22 (Ref:1279353)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*Presumable* Korea, China and potentially Japan are paying such high sanctioning fees that it makes sense to go there. One would also have to guess that with a high sanctioning fee comes transfers to the teams to ensure the costs are covered.