Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jan 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3187519)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Will Hamilton win in 2013?

I was at the Autosport International Show yesterday, as was Martin Brundle and he surprised me by saying on stage that he thought Hamilton would win a race in 2013. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105057

It's not something I had previously thought possible, but Brundle knows what he's talking about.

I had previously heard from elsewhere that Mercedes have decided there is no point in running a development of the 2013 car, so they are going to produce something pretty radical that will be working towards 2014. If the new ideas work, the car could be a winner. If not they will spend the season developing it for 2014, which is when they plan a big push. The engine is already up and running.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 06:51 (Ref:3187565)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it was more that they moved to the 2013 car early in 2012. Unlike Red Bull who are saying the title fight compromised 2013.
Obviously the rule changes are an opportunity and they may go there early if this season doesn't start well. I guess.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3187761)   #3
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they will lack the competitiveness of the front-runners, but Hamilton will win one race.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 16:09 (Ref:3187787)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Rosberg won a race driving a Mercedes, so why not.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3187789)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he could win a race in 2013, but it will need something different such as safety car or a wet dry type race for him to do so.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3187791)   #6
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are we sure Brundle wasn't just saying what the fanboyz at the Autospout Show wanted to hear?
Old 12 Jan 2013, 02:53 (Ref:3188017)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Are we sure Brundle wasn't just saying what the fanboyz at the Autospout Show wanted to hear?

Mercades will have one great weekend, like they did in 2012, and Lewis will win, just as Nico did, but it will be because Lewis is so awesome
Old 12 Jan 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3188322)   #8
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Rosberg will win a race first, but of only as a result of a massive conspiracy.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3187883)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think so. He takes the subject pretty seriously and regards himself as a heavyweight pundit rather than a crowd pleaser.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3187894)   #10
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes should start the season well considering their early development, thats got to be hammys best chance
Old 11 Jan 2013, 20:55 (Ref:3187906)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
He will.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3188331)   #12
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He might but I'd expect him to win more in 2014. If the car's capable of winning he's fast enough to win. Button said at the end of the season that he thought Nico might be shocked by how quick Hamilton is. I never bought into the view that he was moving for money. I expect Merc to get more competitive over the next couple of seasons and hamilton will be a frontrunner.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3188356)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I was at the Autosport International Show yesterday, as was Martin Brundle and he surprised me by saying on stage that he thought Hamilton would win a race in 2013. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105057

It's not something I had previously thought possible, but Brundle knows what he's talking about.

I had previously heard from elsewhere that Mercedes have decided there is no point in running a development of the 2013 car, so they are going to produce something pretty radical that will be working towards 2014. If the new ideas work, the car could be a winner. If not they will spend the season developing it for 2014, which is when they plan a big push. The engine is already up and running.

I think Garcon is right about Brundle, Strider's serious pundit is forecasting

"Lewis has got such pace, and if Mercedes can harness that speed and give him the car, he will drag another quarter of a second per lap out of it somewhere."

So we can expect Lewis to out qualify Nico by .25 secs!

Put that in the predictions thread!
Old 13 Jan 2013, 07:01 (Ref:3188442)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a fan but I hope he does,it'll make Michaels efforts for the team worthwhile.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3188490)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I would put money on him to win at least one race, as has been pointed out it only needs various permutations to happen in a race and he will be there, although he might well surprise everybody and be there immediately !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Jan 2013, 13:34 (Ref:3188531)   #16
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see if Mercedes throw everything into 2014 early or not. Surely they have a good chance of "doing a Brawn" again if they start focusing on the '14 season now.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3188945)   #17
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Winning a race for Mercedes

If the boys at Brackley build Lewis and Nico a half decent or better car, Lewis will do an Alonso and put it higher up the grid than expected. It won't take long for Mercedes to realise that Lewis was the better option compared to MS. But that is another thread !!

So yes, I would love to see Lewis grab a win. He will get one, maybe two.
If Ross and co go radical like 2009, you never know. Who would have put money on Jenson Winning the WDC?
Old 13 Jan 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3188583)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
That's the plan.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3188635)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But I think we're reaching the era of double-focus Formula 1, in which teams will be systematically having a group of people keeping going on the current year and a load working on the next one. Now they no longer need test teams, that's possible, although I appreciate they need more crew members for the sheer volume of races.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3188671)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Yes and no. When test teams were abolished some members were absorbed into the race team, but others were made redundant. After all, it was intended as a cost saving exercise, although salaries were but a small part of it.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3188679)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
so they are going to produce something pretty radical that will be working towards 2014. If the new ideas work, the car could be a winner. If not they will spend the season developing it for 2014, which is when they plan a big push. The engine is already up and running.
Ever since Lewis to Mercades was announced, alot seem's to have been made of them doing something in 2014. Just wondering why people (not just on this forum i might add) think that Mercades are going to manage anything better than the other teams?

If Merc get their engine right then great, but whats to say that McLaren or Force India won't adopt the new rules better, using the Merc engine.

If they get the engine wrong, then i don't see their aero department being able to bridge the gap, as they stand at the moment.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3188719)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Even If they get the engine wrong, then i don't see their aero department being able to bridge the gap, as they stand at the moment.
That's the big question. What I was trying to say in the opening post is that Mercedes are aware of it and that's why they're throwing so much at the 2013 car because it will be a test bed for 2014. If it so happens that some of their ideas work well this year, then that will be a bonus.

Having had Martin Brundle's view on Hamilton's move, this is what Sir Jackie Stewart (aka JYS) had to say: http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular
Old 14 Jan 2013, 00:17 (Ref:3188731)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:

Having had Martin Brundle's view on Hamilton's move, this is what Sir Jackie Stewart (aka JYS) had to say: http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular
I agree with Jackie that if Merc don't start winning then they might leave the sport (as a manufacturer at least), that said, i've been of the belief for a few months now that Lewis doesn't have a lot to lose by going there. For me, the Mac was the best car of 2012, just not as reliable as, definately the Ferrari and also the Red Bull. McLaren seem to have problems building fast and reliable in the same season.

Just think it would be so ironic if McLaren got their act together this season, built the fastest and more importantly, a reliable car and Jenson (or worst still for Lewis) Perez, went on to win the title.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3188733)   #24
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It just depends what cars are rolled out for 2013. That's a very lazy remark but I think he could snatch a race or two. I think Mclaren will be a little weaker maybe giving him an opportunity to sneak one in.

But again, maybe Red Bull will pull out a cracker and will let noone in but Ferrari from start to finish.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3188916)   #25
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
no