Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Jul 2003, 23:00 (Ref:670656)   #1
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonda not to race in ALMS

Seems that we won't see the Zonda in the ALMS again this year. Too bad.

They do plan to do PLM, but I wouldn't bet on it

I hope that we will see them in FIA GT in '04. It would be nice if Daimler got behind this effort.

Last edited by Kurt Maxwell; 24 Jul 2003 at 23:07.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 00:06 (Ref:670674)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I suspect, however, that DaimlerChrysler is busy EITHER with a new Viper OR with the Mercedes SLR. Or both, 'cos they're crazee guys.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 01:14 (Ref:670697)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darn. I like that Zonda! (Not as much as the Spyker, but it is a beaut of a car).
Old 25 Jul 2003, 01:26 (Ref:670704)   #4
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did you get this information? Just a rumor?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 01:30 (Ref:670706)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Zonda should be able to come fighting rightoutta the box i don 't get what the hold up is
Old 25 Jul 2003, 01:54 (Ref:670714)   #6
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At first they were using a 6L engine, and the car comes with a 7L? I don't get why M-B didn't send them the engine so they could race. Plus the whole transmission thing...Tis a shame.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:29 (Ref:670737)   #7
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not doubting it. I didn't expect much out of the car. I am very surprised they are so down on power. I guess it takes alot of cash flow to develop a $300,000 car. Still, it has got to be the most extreme looking of European supercar. It doesn't look like it's supposed to travel on the ground. One very cool looking car less it would seem.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:33 (Ref:670742)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Zonda not to race in ALMS

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt Maxwell
I hope that we will see them in FIA GT in '04. It would be nice if Daimler got behind this effort.
Of course, that was the plan for 03, too - that the car(s) would be seen in FIA-GT and ALMS. Wiekardt is running two Vipers instead of 1+1, so it's strictly a development issue.

Daimler getting behind the effort? It would be nice if they just got out of the way!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Jul 2003, 04:33 (Ref:670803)   #9
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

It is not a rumor,RM 40. I wish it were and if it was that I wouldn't have posted it.

Anyway, I do look forwrd to them getting that car up to speed. Why don't M-B just give them a little help? I would rather see a strong Zonda-Mercedes team in the FIA GT than the rumored SLR effort.

[Edited by Fab : sorry to edit your post, Kurt, but I don't think that the sentence you putted here about the fanboy sites gave anything to the good thread you opened]

Last edited by Fab; 25 Jul 2003 at 14:49.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 05:32 (Ref:670825)   #10
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree k-max. and as far as the Zonda winning right out of the box, when we ran at sebring, the engine was a road car engine almost the entire time, and the LM engine was only a step-up development than that. the team wants the car to win, but tom and eric are very keen to see that it is done right...and you can trust that every move made is with that interest in mind...

pit
Old 25 Jul 2003, 07:09 (Ref:670855)   #11
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt Maxwell
I believe that only fanboy pay sites should print rumors and biased opinions.

Classy!

Would that be the same "fanboy pay site" that was with the team at Sebring, then again at the airport at LM pre-race when they blew the race engine, wrote about this very scenario in mid June and then again after their run at the Spa test days?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 13:28 (Ref:671090)   #12
Ken May
Rookie

Ken May should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The sky is falling!"
Old 25 Jul 2003, 14:12 (Ref:671127)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eh... No big loss. Why should a "production" car be easier to find on a race track than on the street? Better that real cars (or at least reasonable facsimilies) like the 'vette and 575 go for the wins.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:15 (Ref:671241)   #14
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i fail to see the accuaracy in the statement. there are about 35 (if i'm not mistaken) Pagani Zondas produced on the road, and only 1 race car. that is quite a good ratio you think? too bad the saleen doesn't have the same...and at least the Zonda GR has most of it's componentry shared with its road counterpart, something that the 575 and vette certainly cannot say. it's the same old argument of course, so we need delve no further, but "no big loss"? every make and model that can be brought into a series, especially one with marketing power of exotica, is a good thing and should be seen as a very big loss if said car is unable to participate at various intervals...

pit
Old 25 Jul 2003, 21:06 (Ref:671425)   #15
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Yes, every car is needed and every car is good- but the GTS Corvette is so much more "in the "spirit of the rules" than the Zonda and these other new "exotics".

I wonder if the ACO/FIA will require 25 GTS "Supervettes" or will GM just race in GT instead?
Old 28 Jul 2003, 13:37 (Ref:673304)   #16
Ken May
Rookie

Ken May should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see this site's mods understand how to keep theads on track!

Didnt take long.........

Last edited by Ken May; 28 Jul 2003 at 13:40.