Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV Update...

Yes, once again from Champweb.net:

TV Update posted on 12-17 16:23

Paul Gentilozzi stated today that OWRS is in final negotiations with a large cable outlet, as well as CBS. We have heard rumors that the cable outlet is either SPIKE TV or USA Network.

Expect an announcement with 1-2 weeks as to who Champ Car's TV partners will be. Gentilozzi did say that the TV situation must make financial sense, whereby spending 1 million dollars on a program that only has 100K people watching it would not make sense. Basically Champ Car's entertainment package must be addressed.

Gentilozzi also stated that Champ Car has to be consistent with their TV times and dates. They can't have one show at 1PM, then next show at 3PM. Consistency is needed to create a following.

Last edited by Dov; 17 Dec 2003 at 22:11.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 22:13 (Ref:814574)   #2
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God damm, we just can't stop the music now can we.

Good to see PG is thinking about the situation and wanting to make sure it makes sense for us. Doesn't affect me down under here but I hope the U.S. gets the coverage they prefer.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 22:14 (Ref:814576)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only hope I can see it...
Old 17 Dec 2003, 22:19 (Ref:814585)   #4
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
BTW Dov, thanks for all the grunt work and posting the info. You've been busy today.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 23:08 (Ref:814631)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see that PG realises that they need to be consistent with the time and dates. A fragmented schedule just won't cut it.

If you don't know when, where, and what time the race is on, you will surely lose fans. NASCAR's schedule really is its strength, you always know when and where to catch there race's.

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Dec 2003, 23:41 (Ref:814663)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by The Snout
BTW Dov, thanks for all the grunt work and posting the info. You've been busy today.
No problem, Snout! When the news is positive for CART, it's no work at all posting the info....infact I really enjoy it!

P.S. Can somebody wake me up in 2 to 3 hours? *YAWWWWWN*
Old 18 Dec 2003, 00:11 (Ref:814698)   #7
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kool and the gang coudn't of said it better with that classic song. So come on lets celbrate and have agood time wahoo!!

The TV contract is the most important thing to attract more people, Speed quickly turned into Nascar TV, and you want anetwork that will hold your series the highest as its flagship.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 05:44 (Ref:814823)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Hopefully TSN will continue to carry live broadcasts.
(Don't misinterpret that as meaning that I'm a TSN-fan!)
The "same time next week" thing ain't gonna cut it for us diehards. If I know that a race is on at midnight on a Saturday, I wanna watch it! I can foresee alot of "spoiler" thread titles next year!
Old 18 Dec 2003, 06:06 (Ref:814829)   #9
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoever winds up with it- Spike or USA, I sure hope they have the good sense to continue using the services of Varsha, TK, Fish, Daly et al. In my book, for what its worth, they did an excellent job- there is nothing better I could ask for.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 10:54 (Ref:814972)   #10
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I'm hoping that TSN does continue to cover the CART races, but does a MUCH better job at doing so! Here in Toronto I get Spike TV, but I don't get the USA Network......Macdaddy & Jay, what about yourselves?
Old 18 Dec 2003, 11:07 (Ref:814982)   #11
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyB
Whoever winds up with it- Spike or USA, I sure hope they have the good sense to continue using the services of Varsha, TK, Fish, Daly et al. In my book, for what its worth, they did an excellent job- there is nothing better I could ask for.
Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

I agree with the exception of Daly. While he may be knowledgeable, he's still annoys the hell out of me. His after race interviews with the driver is ridiculous most of the time. Like having the camera-man zoom in on the sweat mark from Bourdais's ass after sitting on pit wall during the after race interview. Or like the 10 times he tried to have the camera zoom in on various drivers hands to show blisters(that never show up on the camera anyways)after the races. Man I hate that guy.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 15:06 (Ref:815262)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Dov... I also get Spike, but not USA.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 15:16 (Ref:815276)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hate daily too. Considering he drove he should be smart. Instead he makes Paul Page look smart. (that's hard to do) I don't understand why he can't convey any relevent information about CART or racing and why he seems to illuminate things that are not that important. (like Bourdais' rear end)

If you have cable or satalite in the US or Canada then you probably get Spike. Keep in mind that USA network is big enough to cover all the major tennis tournaments.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 16:09 (Ref:815333)   #14
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the CBS Auto Racing Series; and I'd certainly like Champ Cars to be a part of that -- even if CBS doesn't carry the entire season. Other than that, either Spike or USA would work for me.

Last edited by billiaml; 18 Dec 2003 at 16:09.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 17:24 (Ref:815400)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This Spike TV thing has me alittle worried. There programing is not exactly top shelf, if you know what I mean.

Will they be able to handle and call the races in respectable manner like Speed and there crew, or will it be low brow, in your face stuff, trying to hard to be edgey, and over the top?

I'm sure they are going to go after the youth market in a big way, I just hope they don't lose the fans that got them there.

Time will tell...

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Dec 2003, 22:25 (Ref:815608)   #16
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
This Spike TV thing has me alittle worried. There programing is not exactly top shelf, if you know what I mean.

Will they be able to handle and call the races in respectable manner like Speed and there crew, or will it be low brow, in your face stuff, trying to hard to be edgey, and over the top?

I'm sure they are going to go after the youth market in a big way, I just hope they don't lose the fans that got them there.

Time will tell...
I'm no TV expert but I'd imagine that Spike will just take the feed but Linger (I think that's the name) will do the production with some professional commentators doing the jaw work.

Last edited by The Snout; 18 Dec 2003 at 22:25.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 22:29 (Ref:815615)   #17
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:

Time will tell...
GP, while I like Tommy Kendall, don't you think he and Derek Daly were over the top on a number of occasions?
Old 18 Dec 2003, 22:59 (Ref:815638)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Your right on that Dov, they certainly had there moments.

I guess I'm more worried about how they present the series in general. I don't want to see the series go the WWE or Monster Truck route, with an MTV like production, if you get my drift. I'd like it to be shown as a top flight racing series, with some professionalism, class, and with a sense of the history, that's all.

I'm just hoping Spike TV can do that...

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Dec 2003, 03:48 (Ref:815739)   #19
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just cant see how guys can sit here and complain about Champ cars going to a channel with more availabity, plus Speed coverage was a Champ car production. Speed is turing too much into Nascar TV and wheres the class in that. Furthermore how can you call striperalla bad programming.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 03:55 (Ref:815741)   #20
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
I don't want to see the series go the WWE or Monster Truck route, with an MTV like production, if you get my drift. I'd like it to be shown as a top flight racing series, with some professionalism, class, and with a sense of the history, that's all.
I agree 100%!!!