Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 21 Sep 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1102825)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
McNish in GP2?

Allan McNish is to take over development work on the GP2 car while Franck Montagny accompanies Renault to the Far East, according to Autosport.

Just filling in for his old employer, or does McNish have his eye on a race seat next year?
Old 21 Sep 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1102844)   #2
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm..., I'm a big fan of Allan McNo - he's a proven all-round driving talent etc etc, but surely the last thing GP2 needs is to get a reputation as the place where old F1 drivers go out to pasture (that's what Mickey Mouse racing and McLaren/Toyota testing is for, surely?).

Nice signature, BTW.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1102869)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mathias - I agree this is clearly just a bit of development work for Allan.

However, a few F1 experienced drivers may provide a good benchmark for the youngsters.

In the glory days of F2 that used to happen.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1102872)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
There is a precedent in F3000, though; both Jan Lammers and Marc Goossens raced there at fairly advanced ages, and Mike Thackwell was an ex-F1 driver by the time he was in F3000. Dallara Nissan also saw Marc Gene, Enrique Bernoldi and Ricardo Zonta - indeed, it went a long way to restarting Zonta's flagging F1 career.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1102875)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly.

A McLaren "junior" team with Alex Wurz or Pedro de la Rosa alongside Lewis Hamilton may work very well!
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1103024)   #6
Mathias
Veteran

England
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I mean... yes... in principle, yes, I can see the advantage of that. And I wouldn't want to ban ex-F1 drivers from such an enterprise obviously (especially people like the sort of super-subs and almost-made-its of F1 who otherwise might not be able to keep their racing oar in). So, erm, OK. Yes, I'll cave on that issue, so long as there's always room for the new stars of the sport to come through...

...although, perhaps, if the GP2 grid is full of F1 also-rans, then up-and-coming drivers (like Carroll, Green, Piquet II, Rossiter etc) will stay in the F3 series for longer, thus keeping grids fuller there...

...probably not though.

Last edited by Mathias; 21 Sep 2004 at 16:40.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1103025)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Mathias - there will always be room for the up and comers - most racing series tend to be short on drivers, rather than being oversubscribed.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1103039)   #8
Mathias
Veteran

England
True, true, true indeed...

But once you've got McNish, Wurz, Gene, Bernoldi, Zonta, de la Rosa, Badoer, Salo, Pizzonia, da Matta, Glock, Karthikeyan, Enge, Lotterer, Yoong, Saelens, Albers, Bobbi, Davidson, Burti, Verstappen, Frentzen, Firman, Wilson, Kiesa, Montagny, Briscoe... (I think you get the picture) plus all the guys currently in F3000, E3000 and WS - it's quite a full grid!

Could be exciting.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1103077)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

I suspect we'll see 4 or 5 guys with F1 experience, and the rest from F3000/F3 and Dallara Nissan.

It's shaping up well, in any case.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1103377)   #10
Alfonso de Orleans
Racer

Spain
Near the Jerez race track, Spain
Alfonso de Orleans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something I would like to add here is that I think anyone that has developed the car most probably will not be allowed to race it. Conflict of interest, and Renault are not interested in the bad press it can produce when it's easier to stick in many other drivers. So the possiblitiy of seeing McNish and Montagny in the series is quite low, if not impossible. If not we would be seeing Kovalainen or Lopez doing a few laps in it as well. Don't you think?
Old 22 Sep 2004, 02:27 (Ref:1103461)   #11
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do not think Montagny and McNish will race in the series
Old 22 Sep 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1103667)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Agreed.

It would be such an obvious accusation from other drivers - "he's done all the testing".

We definitely won't see Montagny or McNish in it.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1103991)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alfonso Orleans
So the possiblitiy of seeing McNish and Montagny in the series is quite low, if not impossible. If not we would be seeing Kovalainen or Lopez doing a few laps in it as well. Don't you think?
Of course sir. That's the reason that López didn't even touch the GP2 car because existing F3000 teams claimed Renault that they didn't want that López has any advantage over other possible GP2 drivers.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1103997)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

There's some speculation Sebastien Bourdais may be racing in the series next year.

Make of that what you will....
Old 23 Sep 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1104968)   #15
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Mathias - I agree this is clearly just a bit of development work for Allan.

However, a few F1 experienced drivers may provide a good benchmark for the youngsters.

In the glory days of F2 that used to happen.
I can look at this two ways....

(1) if they went back to the days of "graded drivers" (who could compete in the races, but weren't eligible for championship points) then I have no problem with ex/current F1 guys competing in F2-level races. They'd enhance the grid and provide a great yardstick for the "comingmen".

(2) On the other hand, with budgets as hard to come by as they are now, would backers risk their money on a young up-and-coming kid rather than a safe brand name?
Old 23 Sep 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1104971)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Problem with the "graded driver" business is that it complicates things.

People like the points to reflect the race result.