Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 24 Jul 2004, 23:11 (Ref:1046050)   #1
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW 6-series' bum

Now that the BMW range has been fully Banglified (or smacked repeatedly with the ugly stick, if you will), what are people's views?

I saw a 6-series convertible today and was struck by how amazingly awful it looked. Squinty-eyed at the front, slab-sided and the back of it looks like the 'after' picture of a Peugeot 307CC in the Rosemary Conley magazine.

Is the boot some sort of growth?

What BMW call 'flame surfacing' looks to me like accident damage...

Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:18 (Ref:1047089)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think I've sussed Bangle out. He's a mole.

Somebody realised that thousands of shallow, self-obsessed, materialistic, aspirational middle-class fashion victims would buy anything with a BMW badge on it however ugly it is. And they sent Bangle in to prove the point.

Seems to work in a similar fashion to the way thousands of slightly older materialistic aspirational middle-class stereotypes continue to buy new Mercedes-Benz's, even though their build quality and electrics are now worse than Alfas.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:50 (Ref:1047490)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
May I direct you chaps in the direction of Mr Dolland and Mr Aitchison, as the 6-series in one of the best looking motorcars on sale at the moment. The whole Bangle-BMW line-up is much nicer than the current crop of Mercedes which all appears to have been built from the same set of instructions just photocopied +20% to differentiate the C-class from the S-class.

It's just a pity all BMW drivers are onanists.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1047696)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the current BMWs are "almost" good looking, and could be much better with some detail changes to lights, grilles, etc (ie minor facelift). They are too confrontational, an overreaction from the previous models which were on the bland side of elegant.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1047938)   #5
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not too keen on the car myself. It just lacks anything that makes you want to rush out and buy one. Hufty price tags need to be soften by good looks.... this just isn't!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1047940)   #6
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not too keen on the car myself. It just lacks anything that makes you want to rush out and buy one.

Hefty price tags need to be soften by good looks.... this just isn't!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1048108)   #7
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to have a 6 - series BMW.

A M635 CSi, all white down to its BBS wheels.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 26 Jul 2004, 21:57 (Ref:1048250)   #8
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've not seen the 6 in real life yet, so no comment right now ...

However, the new 5 Series is selling well here in the States. I have seen quite a few and I kinda like it. It's new and clean-the only problem is it doesn't saw "BMW" to me...
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 26 Jul 2004, 23:22 (Ref:1048326)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there was one at oulton park f3/gt, i thought it looked quite nice.

i like the back end, but like others, i'm not sure if it goes with the front...
Old 27 Jul 2004, 07:43 (Ref:1048474)   #10
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[i]It's just a pity all BMW drivers are onanists. [/B]
Not so in my opinion (you may wish to provide the definition of "onanist" in order that others not familiar with the word can be enlightened).

Yes, I drive a 5-series (not the new one).
Yes, I like my car.
Yes, I much admire BMW's generally.
Yes, I have driven them since the early 1970's when they were as rare as hens teeth (to the extent that one got asked "What does BMW stand for?").

No, I am not discourteous to other drivers.
No, I do not cut up other drivers.
No, I do not speed.

Now, what was it about BMW drivers that you so dislike?
Old 27 Jul 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1048486)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnomex
Now, what was it about BMW drivers that you so dislike?
Methinks the Fellow Protests Too Much.

Gnomie I'm sure you are the exception that proves the rule.

Even you cannot believe the 318i is anywhere near "The Ultimate Driving Machine".
Old 27 Jul 2004, 09:46 (Ref:1048547)   #12
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
I'd like to have a 6 - series BMW.

A M635 CSi, all white down to its BBS wheels.
Yes, now that is a proper BMW!

Actually, I reckon the new 6-series is one of the better looking Bangle BMs, though they doesn't say much for the rest of the line-up. I cant' help but feel the current cars are not going to be heldin as high a regard as Munich products the 70s and 80s.

I could be wrong, of course, there seem to be - for example - a whole load of Z4s about already.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1048660)   #13
Gnomex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
Methinks the Fellow Protests Too Much.

Even you cannot believe the 318i is anywhere near "The Ultimate Driving Machine".
Actually, I got to drive one only yesterday as my 530i Sport was in for service. Although the power output seemed pretty poor (this might be excusable due to a "tight" engine only having done 2000 miles), it did seem to handle well and give good driver response. And that, after all, is what the "Ultimate Driving Machine" tag is about. Not necessarily the fastest machines, but the ones that deliver ultimate driver satisfaction.

My favourite BMW of all? The 3.0 CSL "Batmobile" racer.
My favourite BMW road car? The 2002tii.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1048839)   #14
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What d'you think of the 530i Sport? I considered one a while back, and a mate has one but isn't impressed - too slow, handling not what he hoped for and a few glitches (mainly electrical) - mind you, he had traded down from a 911 so it's all relative...

The 318i isn't a bad car, in fact if you prefer decent engineering and handling over a respectable level of kit it's better than its competitors, it's just that where I live they're more common than Vectras and every owner seems to think he (or she) is driving an M3.

Difficult to argue with the 3.0 CSL as BM's greatest ever racer, but I wonder why you choose the 2002 as your favourite BMW road car... is it because you simply prefer cars from that era, or that you don't think BMW have made anything that good since? As a yoof, I was a big fan of 80s 5 series - especially the M and Alpina models.

For me their best ever road car is the E39 M5. When the time comes to change my current car, I'm hoping to be in the happy position of choosing between an M5 and its direct competitors (depending what's dropped into my price range by then... Jag S-Type R being the obvious option).

The type of BMW driver that really annoys me is the X5 owner who treats it as a fashion accessory rather than a car. What joy it gives me these days every time I see one and think, "you've only got that cos you can't afford a Porsche Cayenne..."

On a final note, just to prove that car stereotypes are never universal, I currently drive a Subaru Impreza and I'm not a 21 year old Asian drug dealer!!
Old 31 Jul 2004, 02:09 (Ref:1052475)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a hardtop version today - I just think the whole thing looks completely out of proportion.

Has BMW hit a mid-life crisis? These 'flame-surfaced' pigs have the faintest whiff of chest wigs, oversized gold chains and joining a gym at 43.

The lights at the front are the wrong shape and look too small, the detailing around the C-pillar is amok and the doors are too deep. Looks like a barge.

And those alloy wheels in the picture up top? They look like the cheese grater I use at work!
Old 31 Jul 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1052846)   #16
Gnomex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
What d'you think of the 530i Sport? I considered one a while back, and a mate has one but isn't impressed - too slow, handling not what he hoped for and a few glitches (mainly electrical) - mind you, he had traded down from a 911 so it's all relative...

Difficult to argue with the 3.0 CSL as BM's greatest ever racer, but I wonder why you choose the 2002 as your favourite BMW road car... is it because you simply prefer cars from that era, or that you don't think BMW have made anything that good since? As a yoof, I was a big fan of 80s 5 series - especially the M and Alpina models.

For me their best ever road car is the E39 M5. When the time comes to change my current car, I'm hoping to be in the happy position of choosing between an M5 and its direct competitors (depending what's dropped into my price range by then... Jag S-Type R being the obvious option).
Well now, in order....

The 530i Sport isn't the fastest 5 series but that straight six howl is wonderful to behold. Mine has the selectronic gearbox which is ace. Put in "auto" for just cruising, "sport" mode when you want to press on and "manual" for the twisty bits. Whereas in "auto" and "sport", like any auto it will float on when you lift off the throttle, in "manual" it does what it says on the tin - you lift off and the car backs off. You can then go into a corner on a trailing throttle, catch the apex and just power away....

Glad you agree that the 3.0 CSL is the greatest. Why choose the 2002 as their best road car? Well, my dad had a 2000 tilux which was good - but then along came the 2002. To my mind that elegant body with those huge glass areas and that wonderful 4 cylinder was very cutting edge and I personally think set a benchmark for performance saloons of that era. Given that we British were offering agricultural cars like the Cortina Mk 3 and the Avenger Minx - well - no contest!

On the E39 M5 - Yep - a glorious car. I can't help but wonder if the new M5 will hold its looks as well in years to come.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 23:06 (Ref:1052942)   #17
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: BMW 6-series' bum

Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
I saw a 6-series convertible today and was struck by how amazingly awful it looked.
How spooky - I have just seen this thread having seen my first 6 series convertible driving back down the M1 today - and my first thought on seeing it was "How amazingly awful that looks"
Totally agree with you Logrence - it looks like a cut and shut and the front and back are from two separate cars.
:confused:
Although I do have a feeling it could be one of those that grow on you after a while - like penicillin!
Old 31 Jul 2004, 23:10 (Ref:1052945)   #18
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The butt of the new BMWs is beyond fugly. Much prefer a old CSL or a TII.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1053552)   #19
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnomex
Not so in my opinion (you may wish to provide the definition of "onanist" in order that others not familiar with the word can be enlightened).
It seems that Guy Humpage is still unwilling to provide the definition of an "onanist".... so I guess I'll just have to ask my girlfriend - she drives a 318is so I guess she'd know

Regarding the 6 series, yes... a M635CSi for me too please.... maybe red or blue, and while you're at it you can add the E30 series M3 to my xmas list. And I guess that says something.... at least on this list, most peoples favourite BMW's were all produced 15-30 years ago.

Last edited by alfasud; 1 Aug 2004 at 21:53.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 23:41 (Ref:1053620)   #20
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exteria:

Many of you have commented on the look on the BMW 645 and I would say I like the cars look. I did not like the 5 at first but it has grown on me. I did however like the 7 series straight off although I found the XDrive annoyed but once you are able to use it wihout looking it is great and simple only I still which there was a gearstick there! (PS heres looking forward to playing with an M5 when it actually appears!)

Alfasud - get it in red :-)

Drivablity:

I have driven alot of cars from varies manufacturers, including probably every BMW made in the last 3 years, I can hand on heart say the 645 is right up there as the best. It would of course be nice to have virtual slicks like the CSL but I can live without that for now. It drive like a dream even with only a few miles on the clock and does accelerate away well. A comment was made about the 530 being quick away whereas I always found it be be a bit slower actaully getting away. In terms of design and performance BMW are jumping forwards, case in point the Z3 to Z4 is no evolution but from an average car to a car you could be very proud to drive and show off. Only a few cars rate with the 645 from those I have had the pleasure of driving, the M3 and CSL, the VX 220 and the works Mini Cooper which is beyond fun but from a preference point I do not like the way the display is set out but the inclusion of the speed in digital form in front of my face rather than to my side is a massive boost.

One thing I would like in more BMWs' is the SMG gearbox which is a pleasure to drive with. Only took a little play on the 100 meters to the road to get use to it and I was off happy as a bee. I am not really a gears on steering wheel fan at the moment but if a good design comes along maybe.

Overall the 645 is a great car to drive and also will happily cruise up and down at high or low speeds.

Special note:

Garcon you said.."you've only got that cos you can't afford a Porsche Cayenne..." up you have seen what they look like?! I have to say I do find the Porsches' I've drive to not be so great and I feel well for want of a better word crushed in it. In terms of pure breed sports car I still rate the VX220 above all the others. It has good seats, a lovely engine (yes the back is butt ugly but heck i'm drivining I do not care!) and when I do get stuck in traffic there is a radio to listen to!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1053766)   #21
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally posted by alfasud
It seems that Guy Humpage is still unwilling to provide the definition of an "onanist"....
I thought it was a rhetorical question...

BMW fans might be interested to know there is a good article in the latest (September) issue of EVO magazine, detailing the technicalities of the new-M5 V10 engine.

My fave Bimmer = Z1
Old 2 Aug 2004, 08:37 (Ref:1053769)   #22
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think BMW have really lost the plot. Their '80s models were rather attractive and the '90s models looked great, but I think the current crop look weird to the point of being ugly.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 08:48 (Ref:1053777)   #23
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
To the (not so) good people of Cheshire, it doesn't matter what their SUV looks like. All that matters is that it has this season's badge.

Besides, the looks of the Cayenne are growing on me quicker than the looks of Bangle's BMWs... just.

Harry Metcalfe, the owner of evo magazine has recently taken delivery of a 645i coupé. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on with it via the long term test articles over the next several months. As a four seater, it has been pressed into service to do the job of both the Merc SL55 AMG that he sold having got sick of electrical and build quality faults (and appalling dealer support) and the Audi RS6 Avant that Audi sent "the boyz" round to retrieve after Harry stopped answering their phone calls...