Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1696776)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Turkish podium controversy

Maybe this thread is a matter for Parc Fermé, I suppsoe it depends on how it develops:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37161

I don't know an awful lot about this exact issue, but I'm convinced that if the British Grand Prix had a trophy presented by a Northern Ireland Unionist figure, Bernie would immediately use that as justification to scrap the next year's race.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1696781)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
At the end of the day its a load of political nonsense.

Would anyone really care who handed out the trophies on the podium?

Political and religious beliefs are the most common cause for friction and conflict between countries, it makes me want to stand up and say, "oh grow up the lot of you and stop being so petty".

Rant over.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1696933)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster

Well obviously a large number of Cypriots and Greeks did. This was obviously a provocative move, and the Turkish MSA should have thought carefully about this with Turkey still trying to join the EU.

Quote:
Political and religious beliefs are the most common cause for friction and conflict between countries, it makes me want to stand up and say, "oh grow up the lot of you and stop being so petty".

Rant over.
I agree with you 100000000%, but sadly in this world, people do not see it as being petty. It is their fundamental right to stand up and shout that they are better than anyone else, and if you don't like it, we'll force to you like it by fair means or foul. Sadly the foul seems to be the way of the world at the moment. When will they ever learn that it does not work. For every one you make happy, you really p off 10000!
Old 30 Aug 2006, 00:03 (Ref:1697198)   #4
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It really is a big deal guys, sport and politics shouldnt mix.

Lets fast forward to the China GP, who shall we have presenting the trophy, the fake Dali Lama or the Governer of the Taiwain province, Taiwan tends to think of itself as an independent country, the Peoples Republic of China disagree.

Sport shouldnt be used to insult your neighbours (unless they are Tottenham fans ) the FIA WILL step on this political exibithionism at this point, as the should, and we will lose one of the most exiting GP's for a couple of years. Can't be helped; it was a stoopid thing for the Turks to do and they should pay for it

I'd put money on them loosing the Rally round too, the statement from the FIA screamed NOT HAPPY!!!

Last edited by bosch!; 30 Aug 2006 at 00:05.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1696785)   #5
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was reading about this and wondered:
- who chooses the people who present the trophies?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1696791)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It amazes me that the FIA either didn't know about it beforehand, or chose not to intervene.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1696863)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
It amazes me that the FIA either didn't know about it beforehand, or chose not to intervene.
Just reading on crash.net that the names of the people presenting the trophies was given to the FIA very late. Still, i think it's a load of nonsence over nothing, but it would be typical of the FIA to drop a track that has provided good entertainment.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1696865)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

In a way I agree with you, but the issue over the Turkish Grand Prix was that it appeared to promote a republic that isn't recognised by any nation apart from Turkey. Therefore, should F1 (or indeed any sporting event) be used to issue propaganda however small it was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
GrandPrix.com are reporting that it was a deliberate action and that the organisers avoided telling the FOM and Allsport Management (for they organise the podiums) until it was too late for them to respond.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17372.html
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1696797)   #9
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find it is the local org that decides who - normally local bigwigs. In this case I daresay that FIA didn't know exactly who the man was until it was announced on the PA, but there again, I'm not too sure what they could have done about it anyway!
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1696801)   #10
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they hadn't announced that they were staging an investigation then I'm sure nobody West or East of turkey would have ever known there was a problem.

Now people will be baying for Max's blood just as another excuse to hang **** on Max.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1696813)   #11
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
I think having someone from the wrong country, or exile government, or contested areas is akin to showing the wrong flag or playing the wrong music - perhaps worse if an exile group gets to present the winner's trophy. Wouldn't that be like having the head of the old Shin Fein, or IRA, or something like that present the winners trophy at the British GP? If it's serious, the problem is how do you make those that are complaining whole again?

Last edited by Rex Judicata; 29 Aug 2006 at 16:53.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1696810)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This has also been reported in a couple of the national newspapers - not sure exactly how the FIA could have avoided it - all a bit mad really.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1696811)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is bad. Turkey could lose the race over this
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1696821)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Get Herman Tilke to build a racetrack in Greece?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1696855)   #15
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Podium celebrations & border disputes don't mix very well - just ask Eddie Irvine (at one race, they raised the irish flag for him - Eddie is from Northern Ireland & his family got death threats)
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1696869)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wasn't there a podium mix-up at Jerez 1997 that ruled out that venue from future F1 races?

It's amazing that such fundamentally bland and pointless side issues can have such a far reaching effect.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1696908)   #17
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Wasn't there a podium mix-up at Jerez 1997 that ruled out that venue from future F1 races?
Yes, the local mayor took part in the podium despite not being on the list of dignatories. Given that the Turkish Grand Prix error can be construed as being more significant it is possible to see where the calls for the races cancellation are coming from. However, an element of the Jerez situation was that the race was never intended to be a permanant addition to the F1 calander so the resolve of the FIA to enforce this ban has never been tested.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1696889)   #18
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only at good tracks do such things occur.....
Old 30 Aug 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1697203)   #19
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it is a big issue, like it or not..read the Grandprix.com article..very illuminating.

the FIA work hard to be politically neutral, and the rules are very clear. The Turkish Govt deliberately hoodwinked the FIA , and the FIA must now be seen to react and punish Turkey, or it will be a free for all at future GPs the world over.

This will be an interesting story to watch...
Old 30 Aug 2006, 04:02 (Ref:1697288)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pity that for a GP so exciting, the politics is what that gets the limelight.

And pity for a track that provides some good racing, that i feel and i hope the FIA feels the same, the need to drop the circuit as a punishment.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 04:48 (Ref:1697292)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes the grandprix.com article is very enlightening.....

It is a sad bit of exploitation by the authorities... unnecessary and uncalled for...
and at the end of the day the people who will suffer the most are the fans who shall not watch races on that gem of a circuit...sad....but understandable if the FIA goes throug with it....
Old 30 Aug 2006, 06:02 (Ref:1697301)   #22
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares?

Who would have known?

Well, apparently, the Cyprus Motor Sports Association, which is a fully paid up member of the FIA is lodging an official complaint, so that's why this has attracted so much attention.

I have no political view on this, but legally, there is only one government in Cyprus so the Turks have done themselves no good by presenting the so-called President of an illegal regime at an official event - as said previously, it would have been as if the British GP prize had been handed out by the leader of the IRA - and then had him announced as the President of Ulster.

The ultimate sanction would of course be to take the GP away from Turkey, which would be a great shame as its a great venue that produces great races.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 06:21 (Ref:1697305)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the country where the rant comes from, I don't expect this accident to bring up relevant consequences, particularly given the name of the race major sponsor...

Once said that, It's crystal clear that a better attention should be paid about who presents the trophy.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1697334)   #24
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Without reading the prior posts, I have to say... It's an accidental stuff-up (I presume). Everyone is allowed to make mistakes.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 30 Aug 2006, 08:23 (Ref:1697365)   #25
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Without reading the prior posts, I have to say... It's an accidental stuff-up (I presume). Everyone is allowed to make mistakes.
No, this was deliberate. Given that the FIA has a list of categories of people who can present trophies (seriously), the choice of a President of a country that no-one bar Turkey recognizes was an overt political move to promote a Turkish viewpoint.

The question is which congenital moron at FOM composed the caption without realizing that there was a potential problem?