Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Sep 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1097969)   #1
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Official: Trulli signed by Toyota since now

(Hoping not to duplicate an existing thread)
Italian press has confirmed that Jarno has signed for Toyota, and will start testing right today at Silverstone.

best wishes to him, I hope joining his former chief designer will help both, and above all, Toyota to gain some credibility
Old 16 Sep 2004, 09:00 (Ref:1097972)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
link at all?
Old 16 Sep 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1097978)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Strong team they have there now. Ralf and Trulli - both a little awkward to manage but as fast as any on a good day. Panis and Zonta is as good a testing line up as any. Gascoyne is top three F1 designer for sure - and the first Toyota that is all his is on the way. Plus you've got a budget second to none... I'd say they will make a good step in 2005 - BAR should be worried. Podiums are possible, although race wins are unlikely in the forseeable future - perhaps 2006.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1097987)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Toyota have, to my mind somewhat inexplicably, managed to sign two of the most inconsistent and psychologically fragile drivers in the pitlane. Sure, both can be blindingly fast on a good day, but when do the good days come? And what happens if they both have a bad day on the same weekend. No points for Toyota... I think things may get worse before they get better.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1098003)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Must say, think Toyota should have played a blinder in getting Panis to be a tester for two years.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1098026)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Zonta has signed to remain as Friday tester next year too - it's a very strong line up overall.

Both Ralf and Jarno have done well under the leadership of Mike Gascoyne in the past - I suspect they may work well together.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1098040)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Indeed KB, with regards Ralf and Jarno in I would agree entirely.

Toyota are piecing it together, bit by bit. Hopefully now, with such a decent set-up, they won't go and fire them both if they are not winning every race or something......

One would think Toyota would have the sense to realise that would be totally counter-productive.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1098079)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They need to be patient and disciplined in driver management with that kind of line-up. I can imagine them being in contention for top 6 grid spots and podiums at some tracks, but nowhere at others. With JV at Sauber, and Williams in a rebuilding phase, the battle for 5th in the CC could be interesting next year.

I'm glad Jarno's got this sorted out - assuming he survives the first season, it should eb a great team in future.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1098090)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I often wonder whether it will be Mike that will keep the top echelons at bay with regard the Ralf and Jarno, should they, um, go through one of their, um, less prolific periods?

He has the experience of working with them in the past and so on, which is a potentially nice little card to have in the deck?
Old 16 Sep 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1098117)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to disagree with those who think Jarno and Ralf will be a good pairing. Yes, both have experience with Gascoyne, but both have somewhat touchy personalities and need alot of coddling; both are brilliant on their besty days but miserable on far too many; both are finger-pointers, ready to cast blame onto others.

Frankly, the only level head they have is Panis. I see a recipe for disaster.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1098119)   #11
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well - its all in place now - let's see how it goes!
Old 16 Sep 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1098125)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
EERO, that possibility is most certainly there; but, for some reason, I think that those problems will be less significant. I did not mean it will be perfect and harmonious, certainly not, but rather that they will both be more channeled to work together. THey cannot afford not to.

THere is the other side that they are in a team that have not really worked with drivers of the callibre that they are: thus the ego massaging should be somewhat present, which tye would both appreciate (the team doesn't have past experience with drivers who have won titles and so on).

Whilst not perfection, I certainly don't think disaster is round the corner.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 11:38 (Ref:1098143)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting driver line-up at Toyota, and one that can go either way: either they'll work brilliantly together and will push the team forward; or they'll nitpick each other, both fall apart psychologically and Toyota will stand still.

However, both are race winners, Gascoyne can design race winning cars, and Toyota will do anything for results, so the ingredients are there for a successful (well, more successful than the past three) season.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1098240)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Trulli is testing for Toyota now, whta is he driving for the rest of the year?
Old 16 Sep 2004, 13:21 (Ref:1098248)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing, in theory; nevertheless, should he set way faster times than the current drivers, Toyota could be tempted to give him a seat before the season ends IMO
Old 16 Sep 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1098255)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who is driving the Renault?
Old 16 Sep 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1098280)   #17
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques
Old 16 Sep 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1098282)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisi next year.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 14:17 (Ref:1098289)   #19
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here Here BSchneiderFan
Old 16 Sep 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1098346)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
no surprise really that Jarno is joining Toyota... had an impressive first half of the year...hopefuly for him it may continue
Old 16 Sep 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1098430)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to agree with EERO.

I think this pairing could go very very badly wrong.

But on the other hand, it could go brilliantly right!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1099016)   #22
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I think if I now predicetd the performance of BAR, Sauber, Renault, Jag and Jordan with Toyota in the next five years, I'd have to say that Toyota now have the line up to top that group.

Whether they can compete with Mac and Willy is another challenge but given the resources, you'd have to say yes!

Toyota could be a great place to be right now - alwayts nice to join when the up-turn is about to happen.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 08:24 (Ref:1099020)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Yes, the only doubt is about how long will they be granted such a huge budget if they keep losing.

happily for them, the Toyota corp is very healty and wealthy in the current times
Old 17 Sep 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1099049)   #24
Giando
Racer

Giando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmm... Trulli in his first day at Toyota in Silverstone set a lap time only 0,500 slower than the best time of the day... not so bad, considering he didn't knew the car and that his team mates stayed 1,2 seconds up the best time of the day the previous days.

Maybe he's not so bad as someone seem to think here.

Maybe he could run in China.

?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 09:41 (Ref:1099057)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I wouldn't suggest Trulli is a bad driver. On the contrary, he is naturally very talented. Sadly, he is also woefully inconsistent.