Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Oct 2004, 12:40 (Ref:1113945)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is Bentwood fully appreciated?

I've seen very little credit or praise for him, but I think he had a superb season unde rthe circumstances. His car was supposedly an old test car used mainly for passenger rides, he'd never driven a front-wheel-drive car before, or one of similar power, her had awful luck, had to miss a race as the team was so underfunded, yet he still beat Collard (in a later Vauxhall), Kaye, Breeze and Watson-Smith (admittedly, in a dismal car).
Old 3 Oct 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1113964)   #2
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had his fair share of back luck as you say, but others also had some rotten luck through the season. Matt Neal suffered some frustrating failures, and Kaye's car was run on a shoestring like the others.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1113965)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bentwood did a very solid job, often for little praise.

Definitely an unsung driver.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:04 (Ref:1113997)   #4
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...but he never stopped moaning
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:36 (Ref:1114018)   #5
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Quote:
Originally posted by speedy king
...but he never stopped moaning
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1114034)   #6
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd have more sympathy for him if he stopped whinging. No wonder Nic Minassian threw gravel at him once.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1114101)   #7
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minassian had good reason to throw gravel at him - it was a nasty accident and Bentwood was very much to blame.

Certainly early in the season Bentwood was doing very well, but the increasing unreliability of the car cost him a lot of points.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 17:02 (Ref:1114109)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Can't disagree with the whinger reputation he's got. Maybe he had a good tutor last year?
Old 3 Oct 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1114133)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sceptic
Minassian had good reason to throw gravel at him - it was a nasty accident and Bentwood was very much to blame.

Certainly early in the season Bentwood was doing very well, but the increasing unreliability of the car cost him a lot of points.
I was wondering how long it'd take for Minassian to be brought up - you're absolutely right that it was an awful moment from Michael, and one which can partly be blamed for his negative image.

The second part of this post illustrates my point - intentionally or otherwise, it's written as if he's being overlooked because he's not scored huge points, when the reliability issues ultimately explain this.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1114202)   #10
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
The second part of this post illustrates my point - intentionally or otherwise, it's written as if he's being overlooked because he's not scored huge points, when the reliability issues ultimately explain this.
At the end of the day, you need to be scoring points.
The more points you have the higher in the championship you are - and that affects all sorts of things, from the amount of TV coverage you get as the season progresses, to which garage you get allocated.

At the same time, Bentwood hasn't set the world on fire in anything he's done - consistently scoring the small points, but podium appearances have been rare. He's been unlucky, but as we say so often, sometimes you make your own luck.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 19:21 (Ref:1114222)   #11
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What did both him and Minassian race in?
Old 3 Oct 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1114232)   #12
sceptic
Veteran

F3
Old 3 Oct 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1114281)   #13
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but it's the whinging that really puts me off...
Old 14 Oct 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1124072)   #14
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think throwing the car at the scenery and/or other cars played a bigger role in his meagre point scoring. I still can't believe Huff was penalised at Mondello.

:confused:
Old 14 Oct 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1124536)   #15
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't even think about starting me on that
Old 15 Oct 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1125030)   #16
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A nasty accident? Miscommunication on the last lap between Bentwood (being lapped) and Minassian who, as a result, lost momentum and the race lead and win to Jonny Kane. Where's the nasty accident in that?

Minassian, quite rightly, was banned for several races for his childish behaviour on the slowing down lap. Highly amusing, though.

Bentwood: which other privateers (except WSR or Dynamics) qualified on the front row or finished on the podium?
Old 15 Oct 2004, 09:53 (Ref:1125058)   #17
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Apex

Bentwood: which other privateers (except WSR or Dynamics) qualified on the front row or finished on the podium?
In fairness to the other independents, the car was a very competative cast off. Jason Hughes had a v6 MG that was never quite the package, and least said about those ETCC spec Hondas the better!
Old 15 Oct 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1125086)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Collard had a (later) Vauxhall all season, Kaye had last year's Honda (and both were in experienced teams), while GA put out competitive drivers at times (Breeze, Burt and Hodgetts were particularly competitive).
Old 15 Oct 2004, 11:17 (Ref:1125126)   #19
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Other than driver talent, money is the biggest factor, but WSR proved what can be done without much money.

I think a lot comes down to what equipment they've got to start with, and who they've got to run that equipment effectively.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1125177)   #20
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WSR and Dynamics were always going to be the top privateer teams - they both had competitive cars which they'd been running already, experienced drivers, and TD also had great funding.

Bentwood had a pretty strong seaosn in my book, better than Hines' under the circumstances. Hopefully he'll be back on the grid next year.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1125308)   #21
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentwood never had the season he wanted, he would either be involved in a crash, sponsorship problems or just bad luck. With all of this into account I think he had a good season, the Brands crash at the start of the year would had put a big hole in the teams budget but when he was on the black stuff and doing well I think he had a good solid season.

I can't see him as a works driver next year, but I can see him having another go at the indy's title if he and the team return.
Old 17 Oct 2004, 23:51 (Ref:1126960)   #22
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looking at the results he was the only guy to win the independents part of the race other than wsr and dynamics which is commendable
Old 18 Oct 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1127189)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Good point Thunder. I really hope this isn't the last we see of the guy.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1127815)   #24
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe this leads to a bigger question of whether or not wsr and td should be included as independants, especially if the only other person to win an indie race also had partial backing from a works team.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 07:43 (Ref:1127999)   #25
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich R
maybe this leads to a bigger question of whether or not wsr and td should be included as independants, especially if the only other person to win an indie race also had partial backing from a works team.
WSR didn't have a pot to **** in, and their achievements were quite outstanding for 2004. That's not to take it away from the other indies, but they did achieve a huge amount on peanuts.