Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Jul 2002, 11:22 (Ref:326418)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Power Tour Problems?

Perhaps there are a few people around here who can better answer this- but the word is that Barbagallo, Calder, and that final Oran Park meeting are off.

What's the go??

It's a great package, a little down on entries at the moment, but it should be something that should work to a reasonable degree.

I remeber the days when OP would get packed out for the trucks alone...what has changed since then?
Old 3 Jul 2002, 12:09 (Ref:326452)   #2
Elwood
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Elwood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash - my understanding is that Barbagallo was always subject to a (free?) freight deal for competing cars and equipment and that was probably only ever a 50/50 of happening. The MPG are apparently looking into scheduling a replacement event.

Calder and Oran Park haven't been cancelled - just re-scheduled. Calder has been put back to November (date to be confirmed very soon) and Oran Park is being brought forward to August. I think changing Oran Park will also avoid the near-clash with the Procar 24-hour and alleviate the likely shortage of Officials at one or both events.

Have faith!!
Old 3 Jul 2002, 12:28 (Ref:326462)   #3
PBR
Rookie

PBR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read this on the WASCC forum

The Power Tour event for August has been cancelled.

I spoke with their chairman this morning and they simply haven't got their act together sufficiently to transport the number of vehicles we require to ensure such an event was a success.

I'm sure you can understand that we had no wish to follow up the V8s with a dud.

We'll revisit The Power Tour for 2003 provided they can guarantee us what we want.

I certainly hope they can work something out for 2003.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 12:31 (Ref:326465)   #4
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I wanted to go

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 Jul 2002, 13:55 (Ref:326500)   #5
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calder's Off basically as I understand it cause there hadn't been a track fee paid by the deadline date.

And if it's been resheduled to November I can GUARANTEE there'll be a clash somewhere as November is chock-a-block with motor racing in Vic. Hmmmm National quality SportSedans at Island Magic, at PI or trucks at Calder??? I have to drive past Calder to get to PI (well Sorta) but PI's where I'll be going.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 09:23 (Ref:326906)   #6
flaggie1
Racer

flaggie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calders off definately. Just rang our chief to get on to it and he had just been informed of that. When asked what date it has moved to he told me Nov around Island Magic time. Agree with flaggie here i'll be going to the magic. DATE CLASH TIME AGAIN. Wouldn't the VMRC be annoyed right now after being told to move there event to accomadate the trucks.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 10:44 (Ref:326956)   #7
flaggie1
Racer

flaggie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by flaggie1
Calders off definately. Just rang our chief to get on to it and he had just been informed of that. When asked what date it has moved to he told me Nov around Island Magic time. Agree with flaggie here i'll be going to the magic. DATE CLASH TIME AGAIN. Wouldn't the VMRC be annoyed right now after being told to move there event to accomadate the trucks.

Sorry about last post i was waiting on the chief to inform me that what i heard is true. WELL ITS NOT CALDER TRUCKS ARE STILL ON JULY 20 and 21. As far as he has heard from the man behind the meeting Mick Ronke from Winton, it is still on so disregard my last post i sort of preempted the chief.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 23:55 (Ref:327391)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK - here are the facts re Calder.

The meeting is definately OFF as far as Calder Park and the MPG are concerened.

The meeting was cancelled, by Paul French of the MPG on June 28th.

On the 18th June a meeting was held between Calder Park people (Bob Jane, Peter Bridge and Paul from the track) and Paul French from MPG. At that meeting I understand that Calder Park offered to produce the Meeting Regulations and entries for drivers, and Paul French was to take this back to Mick Ronke the following Wednesday - however that meeting never took place - I believe Paul French never turned up.

Consequently, last Friday, Paul French contacted Calder and the meeting was canned.

Remember that this meeting was NOT a Calder Park event - it was a circuit hire by the MPG so ALL organisation had to be arranged by the MPG and not the circuit although quite often the circuit will sub-contract and do this work for the organiser. I undertsand this was a cost burden for the MPG they didn't want - thus the scheduled meeting with Mick Ronke.

As for Calder rescheduling - the only dates available would be November or early December and, according to Calder, there are none suitable.

Nov 26/17 is not OK - clashes with the ProCar 24 hour; 23/24 clashes with Ph Island; 30/Dec 1 clashes with Sandown and they won't run a meeting after that at the track.

Last edited by RaceTime; 4 Jul 2002 at 23:58.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 00:39 (Ref:328414)   #9
petrolheader
Rookie

petrolheader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately,I think the Power Tour is about to go "belly up".They owe "television production fees"from two separate media houses as far back as last year.Both Production houses are chasing a combined total of $50k.A third production house was brought in to do QR,withy ISO tapes and it,s not sure wheteher that will also see the light of day.
Some of the categories are getting nervous and the roll up of teams for all categories is way down.Power Tour is relying on the teams to front for the television costs,but with a poor time slot at best 11pm on channel 10 there is an understandable reluctance.
Word is that Nick Ebbick the chairman of the POWER TOUR has "walked away" from the series in the last two days.
SADLY I THINK IT,s done for.
First TOCA now POWER TOUR .
Still we do have two strong commercial motorsport promoters left in OZ. AVESCO and PROCAR,maybe they can take up the slack.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 12:24 (Ref:328613)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatly, AVESCO only care about the V8s and PROCAR probably have their hands full with all their categories and races.

Would be a real pity if the PowerTour crumbled, it is a great idea, maybe if MPG walk away the competitors in each of the classes could get together and organise something.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 12:43 (Ref:328618)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

This is what they have been trying to do for the past two years - and the Power Tour was the result.

The problem with the PT is its absolute lack of PR work and teh attitude of it's own organisation - last years clash of dates at Calder for example, the ONLY media releases from the recent Queensland meeting came about 2 days before the event and, since then, absolutely nothing. It's like they want people to think it isn't happening.

They can grumble all they like about people 'dumping on them' but it isn't other peoples jobs to publicise the event s for them - the PT have a so-called media person - but no one seems to hear from him - why?
Old 7 Jul 2002, 13:20 (Ref:328622)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is very sad. Hopefully something can be done to get all these categories on track in the near future.
At the beginning of the year The Powertour looked like it would be fantastic, how things can change so quickly.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 13:21 (Ref:328623)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is very sad. Hopefully something can be done to get all these categories on track in the near future.
At the beginning of the year The Powertour looked like it would be fantastic, how things can change so quickly.
On foxtel the powertour had some more respectable time slots, i was just watching some from oran park yesterday.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 13:30 (Ref:328628)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

And a question on the Fox broadcast if you can - which meeting was that? The ones I have seen on Fox so far have all been old meetings - they continually replay the same meeting over and over and over and over
Old 8 Jul 2002, 11:26 (Ref:329289)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one on the weekend was Oran Park again
Old 8 Jul 2002, 11:34 (Ref:329299)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

Received a bit more information again today, however, have to confirm some of this before passing it on - petrolheaders statements about the outstanding costs for earlier PT rounds appears to be on the mark. I am receiving conflicting informaiton about wether Qld Raceway was paid for up front or not - I have been led to believe the production company used for QLD has a business relationship with at least one of the NSW companies used - so would find it hard to believe if they weren't aware of the NSW and SA problems.

Add to al this that SA results are STILL not available on the web (via Natsoft) and no one from the PT will answer emails to say why...
Old 8 Jul 2002, 11:44 (Ref:329311)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently the QR round will be on Fox from around the 8th of August to the 29th, and be on 10 from the 21st October to 9th Deceember... although these are a bit rough. I would have thought with the amount of TV money the competitors were charged, there shouldn't be a drama....
Old 8 Jul 2002, 12:59 (Ref:329372)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

Yeah the tv costs are outrageous. I think I read something in the region of $750 per machine
Old 8 Jul 2002, 13:54 (Ref:329405)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
So does this mean that the Mallala rounds will not be shown?

Makes me wonder, this time next year will we still be waiting to see round 8?
Old 8 Jul 2002, 22:49 (Ref:329833)   #20
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damnit!!

Every time the Power Tour comes close to where we live, it gets re-scheduled or cancelled!! I am getting so sick of this!! It peeves me enough that we have to look up on websites as to when to tour is coming around (you guys are right, the publicity is shameful), we plan to go along, and they AGAIN pull the rug out from under our feet.

I consider it to be great entertainment (in comparison to V8's..zzzzzzzz) so why cant the "officials" get their act together?!?!

Apart from my whinge - what about the actual participants? They must spend just HOURS and hours working and transporting everything, to have half the year cancelled - its just not fair!

walks off swearing...
Old 9 Jul 2002, 00:07 (Ref:329852)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

And even better news - try ringing the number given for the POwer Tour on their web site - 1800 111 260

'Your call could not be connected - please check the number and try again'...
Old 9 Jul 2002, 01:20 (Ref:329860)   #22
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racetime -
Quote:
And even better news - try ringing the number given for the POwer Tour on their web site - 1800 111 260
In the words of a wise man "D'OH!"
Old 9 Jul 2002, 01:30 (Ref:329863)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

Think the words I uttered were 'typical'

What's happened to ASTEM btw??
Old 9 Jul 2002, 02:07 (Ref:329878)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

And a few more things to add to this continuing saga.

Apparently the Trucks themselves want to go to Western Australia - approaches have been made but at this stage nothing has been confirmed. WA whilst happy to have the trucks over their, don;t want them as part of a National Championship because of CAMS fees.

I also understand that the trucks as a category are also not happy with the PT - one source has even suggested that they have pulled out of the Power Tour already but, at this stage, I have not been able to confirm this.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 06:59 (Ref:329936)   #25
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So will PT in WA still be on?

If not, that was my only chance to see SuperTourers. (without going interstate.........or to Sweden) and it doesnt even look like there will be any more PT and any rounds.

altho i have to say i would hope PROCAR come over soon.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock