Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2000, 13:44 (Ref:26801)   #1
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a drive!Absolutely brilliant.
Not bad from Jenson either.Overhyped and overmarketed he may be, but he also has talent.
But Rubens.....Jeeez
Old 30 Jul 2000, 13:50 (Ref:26803)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Rubens.

In fact, excellent drives today from many drivers - Rubens, Frentzen, Jenson Button, De La Rosa, Gene. WELL DONE ALL!

Best race of the season so far! HURRAH!
Old 30 Jul 2000, 13:59 (Ref:26811)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fantastic...
I guess this race some answers for us !
First, Rubens was great when he should be... that's why he is driving a Ferrari.
And, at last, that is why we watch F1 !!!!!
Old 30 Jul 2000, 13:59 (Ref:26812)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Its great to see him finally get that elusive first win. The fact that he actually drove the best race today makes it all the sweeter. Absolutely brilliant!!!!

Old 30 Jul 2000, 14:00 (Ref:26813)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RUBENS! RUBENS! RUBENS!

YOU SEE, I TOLD YOU HE WAS BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Pardon me for yelling. But all you people who called him names and said he was overhyped and no good, this is what i saw - what he did today is what he can do - now he's got his confidence LOOK OUT FOR RUBENS!

Now all you TGF worshippers try to tell me "he was just lucky" and "He's still Number 2." I won't believe it.

RUBENS!
Old 30 Jul 2000, 14:08 (Ref:26826)   #6
ttc
Racer

ttc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubt abt it, Ruben was SPECTECULAR today!!!

GREAT DRIVE! He alone kept the Ferrari ahead in the Constructor Champ.

Excellent work, and a very well-deserved win.
Old 30 Jul 2000, 14:12 (Ref:26831)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhere today Senna is smiling too.
Old 30 Jul 2000, 14:20 (Ref:26838)   #8
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AB SO LUTLEY. He would have been proud, god bless him....
Old 30 Jul 2000, 14:21 (Ref:26839)   #9
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a classic race, there gonna talk about this one for awhile!

I remember sitting there and watching Mika pit, and seeing Rubens stay out, realizing that he took the lead and hoping that he would some how not have to go in again.

He earned his pay today, Ferrari now lead the WCC and Schumacher still leads the WDC.

YES!!!- 22 to 18!!! Williams still are in third place with a four point gap to Benetton!!! Thank you Mr. Button.
Old 30 Jul 2000, 15:36 (Ref:26923)   #10
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations, Rubens.

Finally he's got that deserved victory... and in style: GREAT DRIVE!!!
Old 30 Jul 2000, 16:46 (Ref:26970)   #11
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW

that was just...

WOW
Old 30 Jul 2000, 17:10 (Ref:26979)   #12
jb
Rookie

jb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and a great show on the podium, too.
Old 30 Jul 2000, 21:10 (Ref:27050)   #13
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, finally not some robots on the podium, but a real human being.
Well done, Rubens, and see you next Saturday at Zandvoort.
Old 30 Jul 2000, 21:43 (Ref:27064)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes. He just said now on TV (a phone call interview from London), that he was not expecting to win, but his goal was to make 4th, because he wouldn't be able to catch up the Macs and TGF... but when he was running on 5th, he knew TGF was out, and his car were doing great... he decided to a "nothing-to-lose" strategy, wich meant to fight the Macs... And about the podium, his gesture pointing to the sky, and his lips moving was "This is for you, Ayrton".
Old 30 Jul 2000, 21:51 (Ref:27073)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I agree with your sentiments Liz. Wouldn't it be great if he won the WDC??
Old 31 Jul 2000, 01:11 (Ref:27133)   #16
Liz
Veteran

One Day.

But you notice he didn't rise to the bait of the questioner when asked about this in the post race: he just said, "Let me celebrate today!"

Some day I hope his teammate will appreciate him for the genuine man he is ... and the world will appreciate him for the pilote he is. Meanwhile - I believe.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 01:28 (Ref:27139)   #17
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Okay, Liz-you win and I am [gladly] chastened.

I always suspected that he had it within himself, I just feared it wouldn't-no couldn't-come right for him at Schumacher's Ferrari.. I am very happy to be wrong.

What is even more interesting is that he is now within a mere 10 pts of the lead for the WDC. Its getting interesting
Old 31 Jul 2000, 02:03 (Ref:27146)   #18
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to Rubino. I like to second everything Liz wrote and add that nice guys don't need to finish last.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 03:37 (Ref:27159)   #19
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a fantastic race for Rubens. And the emotion at the podium.....he would later dedicate his win to Ayrton (I read it on Itv-f1.com).

I hope that this helps him regain all the self confidence that he had lost as schu's #2.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 06:13 (Ref:27171)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very emotional day. WELL DONE, RUBENS!!!
Old 31 Jul 2000, 07:00 (Ref:27173)   #21
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had taped the race. Shortly after the coverage ended, I settled in. When Schu and Fisi tangled in the first corner and the McLaren boys rocketed away, I briefly considered turning off the tape.

Damn! Am I ever happy I stuck with it! Haven't seen a drive like Rubinho's since Zanardi's last-to-first exploits in CART a couple of seasons ago. Brilliant. I'm sure Senna was there in the cockpit with him.

Also, it was gratifying to see Michael in the parc ferme embracing his teammate. It seemed a genuine gesture of pleasure at Rubinho's accomplishment (not to mention gratitude for preventing Mika or DC from scoring maximum points).

A great day all around for F1, I'd say.

On to Hungary.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 07:39 (Ref:27179)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade but I think he did extremely well yesterday and I will add my congrats. However, he's had equal opportunities before and let them go on the back of "suspected" mechanical or tactical problems. Let's wait until he proves he can do it regularly before shouting "WDC" from the rooftops.

Of the others:

Prat of the race had to be Verstappen. Why keep it on the track when you can throw it away?

Drive(s) of the race (Forgetting RB) came from Button, followed closely by De La Rosa.

Worst drive? Diniz.

Lesson learned? TGF. (But I doubt it.)

One final point. Why on earth would somebody dedicate a win to a dead driver? Particularly one that died (tragically) six years ago? All this emotional BX is tedious to say the least.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 08:16 (Ref:27184)   #23
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello has previously dedicated his pole position at Spa and his third place finish at Imola to Senna. There's nothing wrong with this, it has to do with emotions. He's not the only one who's done such a thing either, I remember i.e. Alesi dedicated his win in Montreal in 95 to Gilles Villeneuve, who died thirteen years previously.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 10:06 (Ref:27196)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by R
Barrichello has previously dedicated his pole position at Spa and his third place finish at Imola to Senna. There's nothing wrong with this, it has to do with emotions. He's not the only one who's done such a thing either, I remember i.e. Alesi dedicated his win in Montreal in 95 to Gilles Villeneuve, who died thirteen years previously.
Doesn't make it any less tedious though does it? Jeez. These guys are supposed to be tough racers, not emotional, ninnies.

If he wanted to dedicate the win to somebody, why not the team or the sponsors who persevered with him when he showed a lot of promise but no results?
Old 31 Jul 2000, 10:21 (Ref:27201)   #25
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I actually found it quite refreshing to see. While never a Senna fan myself, I can imagine the significance to Rubens of hearing a Brazilian national anthem on the podium for the first time since Senna.

Senna was the one, let us not forget, who took the time and trouble to see how Rubens was after his practice shunt at Imola '94.

And in a sport where so many of the go-kart weaned junior hotshoes have never heard of about 70% of the world champions who went before, it is nice to see a driver wanting to commemorate his hero.

And as for not being emotional... well, I have to say I would rather see Rubens overwhelmed with what he has finally accomplished, than DC's hand gestures, or Michael's pointing at Fisichella, or Montoya ranting and swearing at the Ganassi mechanics.

And haven't we all been having a go lately at Mika for being like an automaton?