Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 May 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1316191)   #1
gts1
Rookie

England
stalybridge,GODS OWN TOWN
gts1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Food on circuit

Can anyone tell me who is in charge of hygene at the fast food outlets that serve over priced food to both marshals and public.At the GT/F3 meeting @ Thruxton last weekend one retailer went behind the counter with out washing his hands to serve, after he had put is hands into the waste bin.
Old 31 May 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1316194)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Normally these are under franchise from the circuit management. I would guess that approaching circuit management in the first instance and then the local health and safety office if necessary.
Old 31 May 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1316259)   #3
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting one that - i've seen several ladies working the buger van's without their hair tied back, which i know from my hotel days is against H&S regs too.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1316512)   #4
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
interesting one that - i've seen several ladies working the buger van's without their hair tied back, which i know from my hotel days is against H&S regs too.
"Buger vans"? Now there's a different way to spend a lunch break!
Old 1 Jun 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1317085)   #5
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who needs a van?!
Old 2 Jun 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1318035)   #6
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the phrase is 'Buyer beware!'

In an ideal world all food handlers would hold a Basic Food Hygiene Certificate. This unfortunately, is not a legal requirement.

It may sound a little harsh, but the calibre of staff within these mobile outlets is not usually very high.

That's assuming it was a mobile outlet. I'm not sure if Thruxton have permanent outlets like they do at Brands and Silverstone.

If it's a permanent outlet operated by the circuit, that's a whole different kettle of fish.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1318123)   #7
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Who mentioned fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-ww
I think the phrase is 'Buyer beware!'

In an ideal world all food handlers would hold a Basic Food Hygiene Certificate. This unfortunately, is not a legal requirement.

It may sound a little harsh, but the calibre of staff within these mobile outlets is not usually very high.

That's assuming it was a mobile outlet. I'm not sure if Thruxton have permanent outlets like they do at Brands and Silverstone.

If it's a permanent outlet operated by the circuit, that's a whole different kettle of fish.
A complaint to the circuit office would be the first step to take, after all they don't want a reputation as a health risk!

At the smaller venues the purveyors of hot snacks take a real pride in their work. With the mobile caterers at Curborough doing a cracking bacon butty!

As for the elusive kettle of fish - God only knows!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1322674)   #8
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
At the smaller venues the purveyors of hot snacks take a real pride in their work. With the mobile caterers at Curborough doing a cracking bacon butty!
Pam and her team from Curborough do a great job. In fact such a good job that it was thought that they were wasted on the Sprint fraternity and they are now also the catering contractors at Shelsley Walsh. The only downside is that they give me a nightmare with the amount of current they need to power the kitchen and dining area.

At least you will be able to have a decent sandwich in August then, Steve.

PS - Bring a spare 100 Amp fuse with you please.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1318385)   #9
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Food on Circuit"?

I thought you were talking about the need for a new flag to indicate a meal deposited on the racing line. If you were, I do have somewhere a yellow flag I made adorned with a hamburger, complete with bun, meat, gherkins, lettuce and relish!!! Don't ask!!
Old 2 Jun 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1318439)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Meatball flag should do the job.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 04:55 (Ref:1318649)   #11
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circuit food from where I am at we get our food (for lunch's) already bagged. Its not much tho. we get sandwich, peice of cake, a pie, and some fruit, and a drink. so most of us take a little more to keep going. Some of the circuits Ihave been to here down under the foods been not good
Old 3 Jun 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1319421)   #12
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mate dont worry about how the food is served,worry about the food.i once purchased a burger from a van,which i accidently dropped.the thing bounced back up for me to catch.later that afternoon it helped a ff driver fix his nose cone back on.not a complete waste of money then eh.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1320483)   #13
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeman62
mate,worry about the food.i once purchased a burger from a van, later that afternoon it helped a ff driver fix his nose cone back on.
I wonder who that would be? Someone with an affinity to cake, Kelloggs boxes and losing their nose cone on a regular basis the last time with you.................................

Old 4 Jun 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1320003)   #14
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1
Can anyone tell me who is in charge of hygene at the fast food outlets that serve over priced food to both marshals and public.At the GT/F3 meeting @ Thruxton last weekend one retailer went behind the counter with out washing his hands to serve, after he had put is hands into the waste bin.
Yep or they handle your food and handle the money in the same go. Or they wipe the table with their bare hands to get rid of the scraps, then give you your food.

Or they drop the hotdog on the table.....

Its down right dirty. But we still eat it.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1320432)   #15
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the food is generally tasteless anyway, it should add some flavour!!
Old 5 Jun 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1320702)   #16
monkeynuts
Rookie

United Kingdom
monkeynuts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
As the food is generally tasteless anyway, it should add some flavour!!
"Food on the circuit" I would like someone to find any "real food" carpet bugers maybe I recon by mid morning you could use the burgers for brake pads
Old 5 Jun 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1320628)   #17
deebrief
Rookie

England
Haddenham
deebrief should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Food on circuit.""
Well what does one do ?
If it is a current bun or a sandwich depending on its size, i guess you use an oil flag or possible a yellow.
Sorry for the bad humour, but could not resist.
Actually has anyone ever seen some food on a circuit ?
Old 5 Jun 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1320654)   #18
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebrief
"Food on circuit.""
Well what does one do ?
If it is a current bun or a sandwich depending on its size, i guess you use an oil flag or possible a yellow.
Sorry for the bad humour, but could not resist.
Actually has anyone ever seen some food on a circuit ?
Gerhard Burger was an excellent "fast food" racer!!
Old 8 Jun 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1322977)   #19
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Guisbro Rod H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much do the circuits get paid to allow / franchise the food vendor? I presume Bernie Ecclestone has a separate price scale. Does anyone know how much we pay for the privilege of queuing for "food"?
Old 8 Jun 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1323130)   #20
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guisbro Rod H
How much do the circuits get paid to allow / franchise the food vendor? I presume Bernie Ecclestone has a separate price scale. Does anyone know how much we pay for the privilege of queuing for "food"?
I'm not certain, but I don't THINK Bernie charges for queueing (yet)!
Old 5 Jun 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1320670)   #21
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theres' even been a Radish (ich) and a full Menu competing in Touring cars over the years.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1320901)   #22
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Food on circuit" made me think of the large donut (with multicoloured sprinkles) one of my fellow corner workers laid on a napkin in the centre of the track at Detroit's Belle Isle one year. Wally Dallenbach came along for track inspection, saw the donut, scooped it up into the car, and continued on without a word. My fellow worker considered this to be the equivalent of sailors pouring a libation for Neptune.

Of course, most track food could be considered something less than "food for the gods". I remember a somewhat heated discussion at Mosport about whether the mystery meat in the sandwiches could be the remains of the many groundhogs that were forever being squashed on course. And at Mission (our small local track) there is some suspicion that the "hot dogs" are actually very large slugs similar to the ones whose company we enjoy at some of the shadier turn stations.

keke
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1321131)   #23
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Checking the circuit at Brands, after one session I found a french fry. Wasn't there before.

Mechanics lunch meethinks...

Or odd balast...
Old 6 Jun 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1321318)   #24
deebrief
Rookie

England
Haddenham
deebrief should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know cars need the odd chip to make them go, but I suppose if it was a french fry as decribed by Turbo-WW, then the car was probably a Renault.

Cheers
Old 6 Jun 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1321490)   #25
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebrief
I know cars need the odd chip to make them go, but I suppose if it was a french fry as decribed by Turbo-WW, then the car was probably a Renault.

Cheers
Ah, but was it included at the weigh in?