Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Aug 2013, 01:18 (Ref:3291904)   #1
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round 11 - Belgian Grand Prix (merged)

Please add to Frostie's thread when he gets his previews up!

The resumption of the Formula One season after the summer break will see 9 races take place in a little over three months. Fast and furious action then, much like what we should expect in Belgium this weekend.

After three and a half weeks of staring at the latest silly drivers market rumours, I am delighted to be able to actually write somethig that is not pure speculation or guesswork. The Belgian Grand Prix will take place this coming weekend, and there will be racing. Good racing.

The first big question that needs answering at Spa is the one posed in the tortoise and the hare approaches taken by the challenging teams. Mercedes have slowly dragged themselves into contention, following a series of races where they have looked superb pace-wise, but inconsistent tyre-wise. Arguably the quickest car on a single lap on Saturdays, this won't benefit either Lewis or Nico particularly well, should either of them take top spot in qualifying. The relative ease in overtaking at Spa-Francorchamps should see the Red Bulls be the dominant car this weekend.

The 'tortoise' approach I'm referring to, is the one taken by Lotus. Yet again, in Hungary, Kimi Raikkonen went for the strategy of spending less time in the pits, and while this netted him second place on that occasion, it is only thanks to the nature of the Hungaroring. Such a tactic will fail at Spa. A conservative approach, trying to eke the tyres out in the last few laps, will only send the Lotuses spiralling down the order, should they try it on the sweeping, high speed Belgian circuit.

Ferrari's recent fall from the top to 4th or 5th fastest team will also be in the spotlight this weekend. A dismal performance at Spa will incur the wrath of the Italian media and public ahead of their home race at Monza, with the pressure rising in particular on Fernando Alonso, Felipe Massa & Stefano Domenicalli for their perceived lack of performance. It is the relationship between the Scuderia and Fernando Alonso that is under intense scrutiny at the moment, with Alonso referring to himself on Twitter as a 'insulted warrior', and Montezemelo warning that 'Drivers come and go, Ferrari stays'. The possible reason for this pressure is due to the rumours surrounding the movements of Kimi Raikkonen.

Alonso has been placed in a very awkward position by these rumours. Fernando has failed to land a WDC at Ferrari, and should Massa be replaced by the Finn, it is Kimi, not Fernando, who has won the most recent title for Ferrari. Even if Fernando attempts to veto the move, in reality there is little he can do, as he is under contract at Ferrari, and cannot leave without severe repercussions financially, as well as the big question...where would he go? Ferrari desire championships, and the Alonso/Raikkonen partnership would possibly be the most formidable on the grid. With formidable partnerships, comes formidable results, but Alonso's past with competitive team-mates doesn't paint the Spaniard in a good light.

More likely to be announced this weekend, is the appointment of Daniel Ricciardo in Red Bull's 'Subservient Australian' role. It's unlikely to be unveiled as such, but with the Raikkonen/Red Bull deal off, it's all but definitive that it will be the young Australian slotting in beside Sebastian Vettel next year.

This weekend also marks three years since Sebastian Vettel's last significant collision with a competitor. Running into Jenson Button at the chicane in 2010 earned Sebastian the wrath of the pitlane, as well as being branded a 'crashkid', having had a few notable incidents during that season. Since that moment, the slight question mark over Vettel's overtaking abilities has disappeared, almost as if Vettel drew a line in the sand after Spa 2010 and raised his game to where he is now, still unreachable at the head of the pack.

Vettel will leave Spa as leader of the championship, regardless of what happens, and it's very difficult to see either Raikkonen or Alonso closing the gap, unless their teams figure out a lot of pace quite quickly. It is more possible to see Lewis Hamilton close the gap though. Mercedes are downplaying their strength as they enter the second half, as well as openly saying that results in Spa and Monza will determine when they shut down their programs for 2013, but one gets the feeling there is a lot of cautious optimism bubbling under the surface at Mercedes. The cars pace is good,and, more importantly, Lewis appears relaxed and happy with his racing and leaving his emotional baggage at home...something he appeared unable to do in 2011. The psychological pendulum has swung in Lewis's favour in recent weeks and it will be a real test of Nico Rosberg's mettle whether he can rise to the gauntlet that the Mercedes newcomer has thrown down.

The weather, which usually plays a part in Belgium, is expected to be changeable on Sunday, which means glorious sunshine at the start/finish line, and a monsoon at Blanchimont. Lotus, in particular, do not appear to be comfortable with damp conditions, and for this, I am ruling them out of contention for the victory. I don't believe Ferrari will have resolved all their pace issues within the break, and as a result, I don't believe Alonso will fight for the win either.

My prediction for this weekend: Vettel vs. Hamilton, with Raikkonen, Webber & Alonso duelling for 3rd spot. Let us know your predictions in the comments below.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 07:36 (Ref:3291956)   #2
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottostreet View Post
My prediction for this weekend: Vettel vs. Hamilton, with Raikkonen, Webber & Alonso duelling for 3rd spot. Let us know your predictions in the comments below.
You've forgotten Rosberg. He runs well here - remember 2011?
Old 20 Aug 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3292029)   #3
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
You've forgotten Rosberg. He runs well here - remember 2011?
Come on JB , remember 2012 ? Don't laugh ! Three and a half weeks they should have solved the cars problems ( fingers ,toes, arms and legs crossed) if not this season is a write off .
Old 20 Aug 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3292067)   #4
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa-Franchomps is probably the best circuit in the F1 calendar nowadays, even with the altered Bus Stop chicane. I was watching the 1994 race last night(the one with the "wooden plank" controversy) and was watching the cars race through the "altered Eau Rouge" - it looked ghastly. Nowadays though, the cars can take the original Eau Rouge flat easily, but Pouhon still gives them a challenge.

I do think that perhaps now, Mercedes are Red Bulls main challengers, especially as they have got on top of the tyres(testing or no testing withstanding). I do however, think that the championship is Vettel's to lose rather than Hamilton's to win. Vettel still has Mr. Newey on his team and also a large points lead. Places like Abu Dhabi and Singapore might favour the Red Bull.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3292169)   #5
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Nowadays though, the cars can take the original Eau Rouge flat easily, but Pouhon still gives them a challenge.

Whilst the cars have much more grip now, what nobody wants to admit is that eau rouge isn't the original corner. It's much straighter now, still challenging for most, but the apex on the right turn is much earlier than it used to be. This was required to make some space on the outside for runoff as the old outside barrier couldn't be moved.

It's still a heart in mouth corner, but not what it was.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3292075)   #6
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
Come on JB , remember 2012 ? Don't laugh ! Three and a half weeks they should have solved the cars problems ( fingers ,toes, arms and legs crossed) if not this season is a write off .
I don't know about that, with the factories being shut. Hopefully someone had a brainwave. And I'm a huge Button fan. If conditions are tricky he'll be a threat for the win. Meanwhile I think Sauber could score points here, if not at Monza, with potentially both drivers as they are rapid in a straight line. Those thin sidepods are doing something towards that...
Old 20 Aug 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3292077)   #7
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Meanwhile, early forecasts predict a sunny Friday with a cloudy/wet Saturday - keep your eyes on this! http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/7535477
Old 20 Aug 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3292094)   #8
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Should be a fantastic race!

Classic picture.

Old 20 Aug 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3292113)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
great great track. the low downforce requirements for the long straights balanced against the need for as much grip as possible to take Eau Rouge and Pouhon at full speed has meant (certainly in the last few years anyways) the mid field teams really have a chance to shine here.

so i might be more excited for quali then the race (last year was pretty sweet with 2 Saubers and a Williams in the top 5) and regardless of whether its wet or dry i expect to see similar surprises this year.

as always i expect the Force India's to do well and am hopeful Sauber and Williams get a chance to turn their seasons around as well.

also a little nervous for Ricciardo...he is going to experience a level of scrutiny he has not seen before. good luck to him.

i guess the trend here is that for this race i have more interest in the mid field teams then those at the sharp end. sadly this year i have to include Mclaren in that group and if you add changing weather conditions i have to agree with andy666 about JB. even if they havent solved their problems this track could hide them enough for a victory.

Last edited by chillibowl; 20 Aug 2013 at 18:29. Reason: spelling
Old 20 Aug 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3292180)   #10
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Should be a fantastic race!

Classic picture.

I was watching a video about the 65 Honda F1 car and then realised how small they were... about the size of an 70's or 80's FF car with wider tyres...

They were tiny compared to current F1 cars.
So looking at your photo I then realised just what an incredible drive Spa was in a 1965 F1 car.....
Old 20 Aug 2013, 23:09 (Ref:3292196)   #11
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some Belgian GP facts!

This will be the 58th Belgian Grand Prix since the Formula One World Championship started in 1950.

Hosted by three circuits in its time; Spa, Zolder and Nivelles.

Many people aren't complimentary about how forgiving some of the newer circuits are, but this wasn't just a modern Formula One problem. The Nivelles circuit was a revolver-shaped layout with big run-offs designed to be a safe alternative to Spa-Francorchamps, but the drivers hated the boring seven-corner layout so much that after two visits in 1972 and 1974, they never returned to it again.

Spa-Francorchamps is the longest circuit on the 2013 calendar.

A Belgian driver is yet to win his home Grand Prix.

There are no Belgians on this years grid, the last being Jerome D'Ambrosio, who replaced Grosjean during his one-race ban for causing a multi-car pile-up at last year Belgian Grand Prix.

Red Bull Racing

Best Result: 1st (x1)
Pole positions: 2
Fastest Laps: 2
Podiums: 5

Both Red Bull driver share the lead for most fastest laps this season, with Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber having three apiece.

Mark Webber has never won the Belgian Grand Prix.

Ferrari

Best Result: 1st (x16)
Pole positions: 13
Fastest Laps: 16
Podiums: 46

The 1982 Belgian Grand Prix was where one of Ferraris most gifted drivers, Giles Villeneuve, lost his life in a fatal accident during the final qualifying session.

Fernando Alonso has never won the Belgian Grand Prix, although he has a second and third place finish to his name.

McLaren

Best Result: 1st (x14)
Pole positions: 11
Fastest Laps: 9
Podiums: 28

The Belgian Grand Prix is the 50th Grand Prix entry for Sergio Perez.

Jenson Button claimed his one and only pole position on his way to victory for McLaren at last years Belgian Grand Prix.

McLaren hold the record for the most consecutive Belgian Grand Prix won in a row, with a five-race run from 1987 to 1991.

Lotus

Best Result: 3rd (x1)
Pole positions: 0
Fastest Laps: 0
Podiums: 1

Kimi Raikkonen is the only multiple Belgian Grand Prix winner on the grid, having won this prestigious event four times.

Romain Grosjean claimed his highest qualifying position of the season last time out in Hungary with 3rd place.

Last year at Spa, Romain Grosjean became the first driver since 1994 to receive a race ban.

Mercedes

Best Result: 1st (x1)
Fastest Laps: 1
Podiums: 2

Last time out, Lewis Hamilton became the first British driver to win for Mercedes since Stirling Moss in 1955.

Nico Rosberg has finished 6th three times at the Belgian Grand Prix, but has never finished higher than that.

Despite this being their best season since the rebirth of the Mercedes badge, they have yet to register a single fastest lap this season, underlining their race-pace struggles experienced earlier on in the season.

Sauber

Best Result: 3rd (x1)

Jean Alesi scored Saubers only Belgian podium in the chaotic race of 1998.

The 2013 Belgian Grand Prix marks the 50th entry into a Grand Prix for Nico Hulkenburg. This is, however, not his 50th Grand Prix start, having failed to make the start of this Australian Grand Prix.

Spa is also the place where Hulkenburg recorded his highest ever finish, with a 4th place in last years race.

Force India

Best Result: 2nd (x1)
Pole positions: 1

The 2009 version of the Belgian Grand Prix saw the first pole position, points and podium for Force India, all achieved by Italian Giancarlo Fisichella.

The Belgian Grand Prix will be the 50th Formula One entry and start for Paul di Resta, having started back in 2011.

Williams

Best Result: 1st (x4)
Pole positions: 8
Fastest Laps: 6
Podiums: 16

Barring no disasters, Pastor Maldonado will also compete in his 50th Grand Prix this weekend, all of which were raced for Williams. Coincidently, Spa was where Pastor also scored his first Formula One point in 2011.

The one point scored in the last races ends Williams run without a point, which lasted 10 races. They were a few races away from their longest run without a point (13 races), which happened across their first two seasons in the sport.

The last fastest lap achieved by Williams was done so at last years Belgian Grand Prix by Bruno Senna, that was the first one since the 2009 Australian Grand Prix.

Toro Rosso

Best Result: 5th (x1)
Podiums: 0

In their previous guise as Minardi, the Faenza-based squad never scored a point in Belgium.

In the rain-affected last laps of the 2008 race, Sebastian Bourdais gambled on dry tyres and ran as high as third (which would've been the teams first podium) before being unable to hold the field behind him and dropped to 7th on the last lap.

Caterham

Best Result: 14th (x1)

In the last race in Hungary, Giedo van der Garde claimed his best result of the season, finishing 14th ahead of team mate Charles Pic and both Marussias.

After Pastor Maldonados 10th place finish in Hungary, Charles Pic is now the only non-rookie on the grid who has not scored a point.

Marussia

Best Result: 15th

Max Chilton now props up the Drivers Championship on position countback after Geido van der Gardes 14th place.

Julie's Bianchis father, Julien, is actually of Belgian nationality. He managed to score two points in two separate Belgian Grand Prix in 1960 and 1968.

Written by Luke Murphy, contributor to FormulaSpy
Old 20 Aug 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3292127)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone for a clash right in the first corner ?
Old 20 Aug 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3292138)   #13
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Yes - I reckon it might be between the poleman and the second placed runner. So, I am thinking that it'll be Vettel and Hamilton. They seem to have some sort of rivalry going, what with Hamilton's little comments in the press about "Vettel having the best car for such a long time.", "Having it easy in F1." and "Being the new Mansell", etc. They have never crashed into one another - yet. It might make things interesting. Although, it will mean that Vettel still has a massive points lead.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 06:26 (Ref:3292280)   #14
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
There's always slight contact, and depending on the weather then things could go horribly wrong.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3292324)   #15
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
There's always slight contact, and depending on the weather then things could go horribly wrong.

or red mist!
Old 21 Aug 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3292403)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...And there's always Grosjean and Maldonado...

Last edited by Bononi; 21 Aug 2013 at 14:05. Reason: Wring name...
Old 22 Aug 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3292732)   #17
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
German singer Heino spotted in Spa!

Old 22 Aug 2013, 21:34 (Ref:3292846)   #18
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post

This one?
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:16 (Ref:3293017)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
German singer Heino spotted in Spa!

The mid-nineties.

Not a good look, even back then, but it's a free world!
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:33 (Ref:3293021)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I always look forward to Spa. Definitely one of the races on the calendar, if not the race.

Isn't that Justin Bieber?
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3293034)   #21
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I always look forward to Spa. Definitely one of the races on the calendar, if not the race.

Isn't that Justin Bieber?
no, definetly Heino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHX34uMNXQ8
Old 22 Aug 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3292738)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Famous guy !
Old 22 Aug 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3292749)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i bet the explanation for that starts with "i was drunk, and kimi..."
Old 22 Aug 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3292832)   #24
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rumour has it a blond driver might be moving to Ferrari for 2014 so my Finnish friend grabbed me and stuck my head under a tap....
Old 22 Aug 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3292868)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Rumour has it a blond driver might be moving to Ferrari for 2014 so my Finnish friend grabbed me and stuck my head under a tap....
This was Vettel's explanation for that latest look....