Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 5 Dec 2007, 16:09 (Ref:2082186)   #1
ahmurray
Rookie

ahmurray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which F1 Grand Prix should I go to see in 2008?

Greetings

I am fortunate enough to have an offer from my parents to go and see an F1 Grand Prix of my choice in the 2008 season as a 40th birthday present.

Obviously as a UK resident (Brighton), Silverstone is the nearest but is it the best?

I quite fancy going to Spa (my favourite circuit) or Monza (for the whole tiffosi thing)

The problem is I don't really know which circuit would be the best and also where on the track would give the best view.

I suppose the factors are travel time, ease of access to the circuit, and quality of view in relation to price

I would probably be going on my own as my wife would need to look after our children, so perhaps a package tour with Page and Moy would be best. 'd only really want to go for the race itself but depending on distance might stay over on the Saturday and possibly the Sunday night.

I guess the ideal thing for me would be to make my own travel arrangements as far as a hotel nearby then pick up a coach to get to the circuit so I don't have to sit in a queue for hours. I know Monza and Silverstone are famous for the traffic jams but not sure if this is better now?

I have the budget to go for a top price grandstand ticket so only the best will do!!

If anyone has any knowledge or experience of visiting these circuits and travel arrangements, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Ali
Old 5 Dec 2007, 16:20 (Ref:2082197)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, to be honest,if i had the choice between Silverstone and Spa..... I'd pick Spa everytime.

Monza comes a close second.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 16:28 (Ref:2082207)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Singapore.

I am desperate to be there myself. It's either gonna be a huge success or the biggest shambles in history. Either way, it'd be great to see it!

If you're sticking with Europe then I can heartily recommend a trip to Spa. Not been to Monza but that is definately on my 'to do' list too.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 18:17 (Ref:2082278)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Welcome to the forum ahmurray

I've only ever been to Silverstone, but echoing what yourself and others have said, I'd like to visit Spa / Monza most.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 02:11 (Ref:2082542)   #5
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Singapore.

I am desperate to be there myself. It's either gonna be a huge success or the biggest shambles in history. Either way, it'd be great to see it!

If you're sticking with Europe then I can heartily recommend a trip to Spa. Not been to Monza but that is definately on my 'to do' list too.
If you need more info on Singtel Singapore GP, you can check out

http://www.singaporegp.sg/download/VIPCorp.exe
PW : VIP2008

My recommendation is to get a seat at turn 8 or 15,
Old 6 Dec 2007, 10:23 (Ref:2082689)   #6
ahmurray
Rookie

ahmurray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks all, very useful.

I guess the only downside to Spa is that as a longer circuit you'll see less of the cars "in the flesh" than on a shorter one as there will be fewer laps.

But I suppose that doesn't matter so much in the grand scheme of things.

I gather it isn't that far (50-60km) from Brussells so accessible by Eurostar which is another advantage.

Pretty obvious that Eau Rouge would be the best place to watch the race!?

Anyone know what it is like getting to the circuit in terms of traffic and access? Can you get there by train (i think it is in the middle of nowhere?)

Ali
Old 7 Dec 2007, 14:04 (Ref:2083632)   #7
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmurray
Thanks all, very useful.

I guess the only downside to Spa is that as a longer circuit you'll see less of the cars "in the flesh" than on a shorter one as there will be fewer laps.

But I suppose that doesn't matter so much in the grand scheme of things.

I gather it isn't that far (50-60km) from Brussells so accessible by Eurostar which is another advantage.

Pretty obvious that Eau Rouge would be the best place to watch the race!?

Anyone know what it is like getting to the circuit in terms of traffic and access? Can you get there by train (i think it is in the middle of nowhere?)

Ali
The BIG 40 huh! My brother has got a 70th Birthday trip to the Oz GP lucky man.
Having been to both SPA and Monza several times, as a drivers dad believe me MONZA is waaaaaay better in terms of viewing and the atmosphere is like none other, except maybe Monaco but that's just for rich posers.
At SPA the spectators seem more interested in rubber necking around in vast crowds watching morons betting with 'find the lady' tricksters! SPA is only the best track from a drivers perspective not the spectators, can't see the cars for trees! Monza has never let me down, I would recommend the Ascari chicane, cheap Ryanair flight to Bergamo, hotel and excellent restaurants and local train station to Monza, bus service to circuit, you'll love it.
Real F1 enthusiasts go to Bahrain, no crowds of celebrity struck fans just sunshine and racing cars!
Me I'm doing Japan this time around, I did Indy last year which 'WAS' fantastic, especially Ant outbraking Nico and then Jenson into turn one, he's a good boy, it was fathers day!
Old 7 Dec 2007, 14:32 (Ref:2083654)   #8
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
I did Indy last year which 'WAS' fantastic, especially Ant outbraking Nico and then Jenson into turn one, he's a good boy, it was fathers day!
Anyone else get the feeling Rennen might be a "little" bit proud of his boy?

Don't blame you either mate, I'm proud of him, and I don't even know him!
Old 6 Dec 2007, 00:36 (Ref:2082511)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Spa Spa Spa....Welcome!
Old 6 Dec 2007, 01:02 (Ref:2082522)   #10
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pick Australian GP, it's further away from UK, will cost your parents more, it will take longer to get there and you'll have to take more time off, it's the 1st GP of the year. Problem solved.

Failing that I would pick Spa or Monaco.

If you end up going to Silversone the tip for you is to park miles away and jump on an old bike and ride in, secure the bike under the grand stands and hope like hell it's still there when it's time to leave, hence old bike recomended. The ride back is fun with a few in ya as you sail past all the cars standing still.

Oh welcome to TT Ali
Old 6 Dec 2007, 01:47 (Ref:2082538)   #11
Saintric
Rookie

Saintric has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have been to Silverstone for the last 5 years but I wouldnt recommend it as a race to go and see as you could easily do that another year choose one abroad.I haven been to a GP outside the uk bu marshalls i know at silverstone told me the best they had been to was the Nurburgring! and Spa second, Personally I would go for Monaco!! a race where I imagine you can get right up close to the action and the history of the place (maybe be bloody expensive)
second would be Spa and third Monza
Old 6 Dec 2007, 12:31 (Ref:2082781)   #12
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
been to 3 differnt circuits,

Sliverstone
Spa
Sepang

Loved them all, fav is definitely Spa.

Given the choice of anywhere I would chose Monaco.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 19:19 (Ref:2083051)   #13
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, whilst I think the atmosphere is electric at the BGP, I would much rather go to Spa or Monza.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 20:36 (Ref:2083125)   #14
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only been to one Grand Prix, and it was at Spa in 2004. I won a couple of general admission tickets, and it is a brilliant place.

There's an international crowd, some of the greatest corners in the world. Climbing Eau Rouge shows that the cameras never catch the true gradient.

Access was variable. On the Friday we parked in Spa in someone's back garden. On the Saturday and the Sunday we managed to find our way in near Les Combes and parked up in what was a camping site.

As always at a Grand Prix, getting there early (if you don't have a grandstand seat it's essential), and don't expect the best facilities, the toilet most people choose was behind the trees.

If you're booking a grandstand seat, you should be able to see a TV screen, especially useful if you can't hear the commentary over the sound of the cars (and low flying helicopters).

Other tips:
- Bring wet weather gear; serious wet weather. We spent about three hours in torrential rain waiting for qualifying to start.
- Try the frites, possibly the best chips in the world.
- Travel light; I was exhausted after lugging a heavy bag up Eau Rouge.

I think Monza probably has the better atmosphere, Monaco greater drama, but Spa is a great place. Listening to the cars as the sound of the engines bounces around the valley is superb. There's a good atmosphere and great racing.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 13:08 (Ref:2083599)   #15
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmurray
I quite fancy going to Spa ...
I suppose the factors are travel time, ease of access to the circuit, and quality of view in relation to price
I went to Spa this year. If you want to do a foreign GP on a budget from the UK, Spa is the one for you, because all you need is a Eurostar ticket (even the cheapest one) and all your transport is paid for.

However - if you intend to stay in a hotel in Franchorchamps, you're probably already too late to book it!

There is a free shuttle-bus from Verviers Central rail station, which means you can basically stay anywhere along the line from Brussels to Verviers (I stayed in a hotel in Leuven), but the problem is, although Verviers is only 20km from Francorchamps, the roads were STUFFED, and the journey on the shuttle-bus took about 4 hours! Then the bus unloads at an arbitrary place at the edge of the circuit and everyone has to walk (over some dodgy ground!) to the correct gate for their ticket. It took me about another hour to get to the right gate!

While I was walking around the outside of circuit I could hear the drivers' parade going on (which of course I couldn't see!). Finally got to my seat about 10 mins before the start of the GP!

At the end of the GP, I couldn't be bothered to find the shuttle-buses, so I tried to get a taxi. However, all the taxis that had managed to get close to the circuit were only interested in BIG fares (ie Germany!)

After walking for about another 30 mins, found a taxi that was prepared to "only" go to Verviers. So I took it. 66 Euros!

I should point out that all day I was feeling rather ill from a bad burger the night before

But thinking back - I'm glad I did it, but I would definetly try to stay closer to the circuit if I did it again!

I took a few photos, but I didn't have the energy to move around much, so most of them have fences and peoples' heads in the shot!

http://v8.spa-networks.co.uk/photos
Old 7 Dec 2007, 13:17 (Ref:2083605)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
see them all!!!
Old 9 Dec 2007, 15:29 (Ref:2084878)   #17
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if I were to go visiting a race by the trackside in 2008, I'd probably not go to Spa, because I've been there twice before - just for the sake of variety.
The Adelaide hairpin at Magny-Cours looks like a nice place to watch a race, and it's probably making its last appearance on the calendar in 2008, so why not head for the French countryside? I also wonder how far you can see towards the hairpin from the Mercedes grandstand at Hockenheim.
Valencia might be interesting, too.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 09:40 (Ref:2085359)   #18
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to 4 this year, Bahrain, Montreal, Magny Cours and Shanghai. also attended the test at Monza.

From a purists point of view Bahrain takes some beating. Sitting the otherside of the mainstraight you can see a huge amount of the track, Once in Bahrain It's amazingly easy to get to, no traffic, car park literally 100 metres from the entrance gate and its empty pretty much until 5 minutes before the race starts. Plus you get GP2 which is a great support race. No alcohol though and the food was pretty rubbish. Manama the main city is not the most beautiful part of the world but is interesting.

For Fun and atmosphere Montreal was outstanding. Usually a very exciting race too, the Kubica shunt happened right in front of us which was terrifying but added to the electric atmosphere. Hugely knowledgeable crowd of F1 fans, and (like Melbourne) the track is right in/ next to the city so nightlife is crazy too. It is RAMMED though and red hot and pretty hard to get around. you sit on metal stalls and it feels like you are on the grill. and the support races are pathetic. still, a lot of fun. highly reccomended.

China, hmm, Whilst the race was excellent thanks to the weather and the track is gobsmackingly grand, Shanghai was a bit of a hassle truth be told. I'd been to and enjoyed shanghai (on business) before but as an F1 fan its not ideal. The city doesnt care the race is on, there is zero buzz. Most people at the circuit are not fans they are just trying to sell you (dodgy rip off) stuff, The support races are rubbish, it is MILES from town and whilst taxis are cheap they arent that cheap for one hour long journeys. (the drivers are dangerous and they get lost in the middle of nowhere. There is a hotel right near the track but although it is brand new it is just shoddy. I wouldnt go back for the race.

Magny cours was great fun but intense. We camped at the track (as hotels are thin on the ground) and I have to say it was one of the most crazy experiences of my life. 50,000 drunk european F1 fans is a heady mix. at least 15 people had bought along old engines bolted to a pallet just to rev the nuts off them for fun. then there are bombs, makeshift karaokae, flares, fireworks and homemade swimming pools. The only time you get peace and quiet is 5am to 6am, when the hardest partiers go to bed and the fans with the airhorns wake up. We sat on the main straight just before the hairpin and the tickets represent great VFM. you get GP2 too which this year was insane. and there is a great go kart track in the complex which was suprisingly empty and after a day of watching people race is a great place to go do it yourself! all in all because we camped it was a real experience (but once was enough and I would try really hard to find a hotel next year!)

Monza (test) probably the purest enjoyment you can have. You can get so close to the cars, walk the whole way round this beautiful track, go in any grandstand, and see all the top names and teams. completely hassle free. Not a party in sight but as a race fan I'd go back to this in a second.

Next year I'm going to do Montreal again 100%, I'll try Singapore, and maybe Hungary. I also love Japan and Brazil so I'd be tempted to give one of those a go.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 09:00 (Ref:2087742)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I would go for one of the early one's (OZ would be good) think about it logically . Its very easy to get to most of the continental circuits and you can always go if you want to another year. Most GPs are always a sod to get in and out of unless you join the diehards like us, that are prepared to take the week off and live in tents/vans/camper vans and enjoy the whole thing.
Spa would be my continental choice, you can (if you know) go all the way to Spa town by train if you get the links (all part of the fun!!)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Dec 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2087805)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
None, go and watch something worthwhile and interesting like teh Classic Le Mans or a decdent HSCC meeting, its cheaper and peopel are more friendly.

If you must watch F1 try a test day, otherwise I would steer clear, over rated!!
Old 13 Dec 2007, 12:07 (Ref:2087887)   #21
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I haven't been to either, but Monza tops my list of Grands Prix I'd love to go to, followed by a grandstand seat overlooking Eau Rouge at Spa. If I could afford to go to a race outside Europe, I'd have to think long and hard about deciding between Australia or Canada - and Canada might just edge it.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it!!
Old 14 Dec 2007, 17:20 (Ref:2088921)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
would agree completely with the recommendation for magny cours - the campsite was rubbish facilities wise, but excellent entertainment wise. absolutely superb. completely contradicted everything i'd heard about it. stinking traffic jam to get out though... the straight before the hairpin was where we were as well, since ours was a very last minute booking but again, great value for money and since it's concreted over, you don't have to bring a deckchair because it's too muddy to sit on when it rains.

monaco is superb, but you have to be ready to feel like a second rate citizen if you're not in a grandstand or on a boat. worth it for qualifying days though - you can spend 3 days at the circuit without even going to race day. and only one of those you pay for.

monza is top notch, especially to camp at. do they still let you camp inside the circuit?? that's the best place.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 19:31 (Ref:2088991)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The "cheapest" way to do the Monaco GP is stop at a caravan/camp site just along the coast in France and pushbike in. And Bella I don't let snobs worry me, after all you are still watching the same race as them and probably loads of them hock themselves up just to be seen
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Dec 2007, 21:34 (Ref:2090093)   #24
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, I'm looking at going to Monza!

Ascari if I can convince my mates to plump for the more expensive tickets, otherwise it'll be Seconda Variante.

Can anyone recommend a Hotel/Camping advice? We're thinking of doing a long road trip down to Monza - although would it be insane to drive that far? Ryanair would be the easy way out
Old 16 Dec 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2090099)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its probably 14 hours from calais to milan if you drive through france, but if there's more than one of you it's not insane at all. my advice? don't go through france. it's like, 80€ each way top to bottom corner of italy for the road tolls alone!

ryanair wouldn't be the easy way out at all - its likely to not be cheaper too :/