Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1437855)   #1
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What was "THE HIGHLIGHT MOMENT" of 2005 in F1

Ok, it's award time ! We'll be using this topic to nominate the 5 candidates of "Highlight moment" in F1.
Please, no debate, no arguing, just nominate it and explain why. It doesn't care if it's good or bad, just consider it had an effect in the season that highlighted it.

You got it smart brains, now choose it !

Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1437861)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The best moment was those 5 adverts I had to watch instead of the conclusion of the thrilling Imola showdown
Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1437865)   #3
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGFs exit from the China GP. It just about summed up his year!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1437871)   #4
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were quite a number of highlights for me this season, but I guess the main ones were:
1. Alonso holding off Schuey at Imola. For me, it showed that Alonso had brains as well as pace, and could withstand a lot of pressure, which some people had previously doubted;
2. The Japanese GP. There were several good races this year, but that was almost certainly the best. Fantastic to see great drives from KR, FA, MS, and MW;
3. Chinese GP. Not a great race, but I see it as a highlight because it meant the season ended with 7 wins each for Kimi and Fernando.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1437879)   #5
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Are we looking for the highlight or the turning point? I think that Kimi's suspension failure on the final lap must be right up there. A controversial gamble to stay out despite a severely flat spotted tyre, was the dfference in the end, between Kimi winning the WDC or losing it.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1437893)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Joking aside, I think the emergence of Nick Heidfeld as a top driver. Not a primadonna or a driver who has an ego, almost an "everyman" for want of a better word.
Good to see he has a top drive, well at least a top team for 2006.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1437936)   #7
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Easy. Alonso passing MS at 130R in Japan
Old 19 Oct 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1438227)   #8
Stargazer7
Racer

Greece
Athens
Stargazer7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
Easy. Alonso passing MS at 130R in Japan
I agree. I totally agree...
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1443761)   #9
Marlboro man
Rookie

Marlboro man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer7
I agree. I totally agree...
It was spectacular, but what was really so special about it? Alonso was on te racing line, had a better car then MS and just past and turned in.

The overtakingmanouvres from MS on Button in Imola and Germany were way more difficult, not to mention the thrilling last laps in Imola. That was definitially the highlight of the season. A real fight for victory till the final lap.
It took me back to old times.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1443795)   #10
Marlboro man
Rookie

Marlboro man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, not racing in Indy en leaving the fans in the cold was really heroic thing to do.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1444200)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro man
It was spectacular, but what was really so special about it? Alonso was on te racing line, had a better car then MS and just past and turned in.

The overtakingmanouvres from MS on Button in Imola and Germany were way more difficult, not to mention the thrilling last laps in Imola. That was definitially the highlight of the season. A real fight for victory till the final lap.
It took me back to old times.
Typically neutral standpoint there.

What was hard about MS' pass on Button at Imola? He practically let him through!

I'm all for lauding a great overtaking manouevre, whoever is involved, but for christ sake show a bit of perspective.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1444404)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one aspect of alonso at 130r was that ms made no mistake as the move came out of no where whereas, and if memory serves, ms pass on button was the result of button going slighlt off track and ms taking advantage during the subsequent chicane.

either way both were great, but i would have to give the edge to alonso at 130r.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1444439)   #13
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the 130r move by alonso. he deserved to be champ just for that.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1444443)   #14
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Germany, Fisichella also passed MS. And how anyone can say that MS's pass on Button at Imola was a good move is beyond me.

Alonso's manoevre on MS at 130R may have looked impressive, but it was pretty irrelevant. Whereas Kimi's move on Fisi may not have been as spectacular, but it was on the last lap so it was a whole lot more significant. If that move had ended up winning the constructors' title for Mclaren, people would be talking about it for years.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1444451)   #15
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Kimi's move was more of a highlight than Alonso's. Either way, it all boils down to the same race, Japan. Classic race, hopefully we will see more of the same in the future.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1437940)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry to pick a negative highlight (i.e. a lowlight ) but I have to go with Indy. It summed up all that is wrong with F1, and made it clear that if F1 is to survive, there has to be less bickering amongst the team bosses, and a single tyre manufacturer.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1438003)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Sorry to pick a negative highlight (i.e. a lowlight ) but I have to go with Indy. It summed up all that is wrong with F1, and made it clear that if F1 is to survive, there has to be less bickering amongst the team bosses, and a single tyre manufacturer.

For me, Indy was a positive.

It summed up that if you turn up with equipment that won't last to the rules, you can't just go crying to the FIA and get the rules changed for the weekend.

It showed that, for once, sport was considered more important than "the show".
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1437990)   #18
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Kimi is involved in my 2 preferred incidents of 2005:

The last lap at Hockenheim with Kimi's suspension failure & the last lap in Japan with Kimi overtaking Fisi
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1438002)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully Indy won't prove to be the most significant moment of the season in the long term. For pure excitement value I would suggest Alonso passing Michael at 130R, for significance in terms of how the season unfolded it would be Nurburgring or Hockenheim, but perhaps the biggest clue to interpret what unfolded was Fernando's dominant pace in China once off the leash with the title clinched.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1438086)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was a sport that day?

My highlights were:

1) Suzuka, a thrilling race.
2) Imola, a super showdown between the past and the future kings.
3) Montoyas exhilirating Brazil win and being present at his Silverstone victory.
4) Raikkonen's qualifying lap at Monza.
5) Ferrari's struggle amongst their arrogance.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1438333)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Indy, and Michelin standing upto the FIA and pulling in it's 14 cars, not that it made for the best race ever
Old 19 Oct 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1438347)   #22
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My highlight is the battle for the lead at Imola, between Alonso and a resurgent Schumacher. Probably no coincidence that this was Ferrari's finest hour of the season, but at least I'm honest about it.

Two things were there for all to see that day, and early in the season too.

Michael was eager to fight for the supremacy he has enjoyed for so long, and made the most of the only chance the car gave him this season. That's what makes me think he'll be back to fight again in 2006.

More than that though, Fernando Alonso came of age. I genuinely think he won the WDC that day - after that performance he never looked back, he knew he had no-one to fear.

Still haven't seen the Japanese GP, so I can't comment on his pass round the outside of 130R. It sounds scary just imagining it!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1438466)   #23
Stargazer7
Racer

Greece
Athens
Stargazer7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Still haven't seen the Japanese GP, so I can't comment on his pass round the outside of 130R. It sounds scary just imagining it!
Its one of these overtakes that will be written in history's book with golden letters! And I am a huge Ferrari fan..
Old 19 Oct 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1438359)   #24
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1)Alonso on Schumacher through 130R
2)Alonso holding off Schumacher at Imola
3)Raikkonen on Fisichella last lap Suzuka

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 19 Oct 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1438383)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so many to choose from.
MS pole at the Hungarian GP. close to 1 sec faster than JPM (who Quali 2nd) and not just down to just a low fuel. it totally came out of no where. maybe the most impressive quali lap considering the car and the bridgestones lack of pace over one lap.
Closed Thread