Old 4 Nov 2007, 00:59 (Ref:2058980)   #1
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Need some help with MSA eyesight requirement

H guys,

I'm just going through the process of applying for my first licence, and I'm a bit confused.

I was born with a squint (corrected) and 'lazy eye' (not much that can be done about that!). Becuase of this I have 6/6 vision in my left eye, and 6/18 in my right uncorrected (checked with the optician today).

Now, she is recommending I wear glasses as I am slightly short sighted (-1) - but again, I fall within 6/6 by the standard tests and I have perfect field of vision.

Looking at the rules in the Blue Book, I meet the requirements - full FOV, 6/6 uncorrected with both eyes open (left eye clearly dominant).... hence, no need for correction.

So the question is... do I have to wear glasses / contact lenses to race, or don't I? I have ordered a pair to be on the safe side (shatterproof and anti-glare) and am looking into contacts, but I'd rather not use them if I can avoid it. My eyesight is fine for everyday things, as the optician put it my left eye only needs minor correction and the right eye is a 'write off'.

Thoughts gents?

Last edited by Mr.Jingles; 4 Nov 2007 at 01:04.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 17:44 (Ref:2059398)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it you have to have a Race Medical?If so the eyetest performed by the examining Doctor will guide you.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 19:15 (Ref:2059477)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
No if he ain't an old git like us Terry :-)
Old 4 Nov 2007, 19:19 (Ref:2059481)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You need one for your first application.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 23:32 (Ref:2059691)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Do you, I did not know that mind you it was a long time ago!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 09:58 (Ref:2059951)   #6
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When i had my medical this year ( not newbie, but old git ) the doc wasn't sure that my eyes were 6/6
He advised for driving on the road 6/9 corrected. for race licence 6/6/ corrected. fighter pilot 6/4 uncorrected.
all he did was hold off signing my licence until i'd been to the opticians.
It turned out hat my eyes were 6/6 uncorrected, but I ordered a pair of glases anyway, as things seemed to be clearer with correction. Took the form from the opticians back to the doc, and hey presto my licence was signed. As my eyes are 6/6 without correction, I have the option of wearing glasses when racing or not. Tried them the first time out this season, and they misted up - haven't tried them again since, but will have another go with them - probably start in a test session, and see how it goes. I've got a full face and open face helmet - will give them a try with the open face one.

Whatever you do, have fun

Alan
Old 5 Nov 2007, 10:21 (Ref:2059980)   #7
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go for contact lenses Alan (Cherry) - perfick
Old 5 Nov 2007, 12:46 (Ref:2060098)   #8
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
I saw the optician first because I expected problems and wanted to know ahead of time....

Guess the Doc gets the last say eh? Anyone ever have the MSA refuse them on eyesight grounds because of siginificantly worse sight in only one eye (where the other eye is normal / near normal)?
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:39 (Ref:2060174)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
They wont let you race with one eye as a very well known driver who many here know, lost his eye working on his car and that was it as I understand it. Try driving with a patch over one eye and I think you will see why, its very hard to judge distances accurately and thats a paramount requirement for a race driver.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:50 (Ref:2060188)   #10
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Bluebook says that 'sudden loss of eyesight in one eye' (which doesn't apply to me, since I have had this since 1 years old and haven't lost sight as such, it's just alot worse) disqualifies you from holding a licence for 5 years. The assumption being, after two years you can get your licence again?

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/m...s2007E8pp1.pdf

See above, Section 2.9.6.4 (Page 4).

Doesn't make much sense, as if you lost sight in one eye you'd never past the field of view tests (I do, having perfect FOV).
Old 12 Nov 2007, 15:55 (Ref:2065680)   #11
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do medicals for my racing friends. I test the eyes in the state they will race. i.e. If they wear specs for racing I test them in specs. If not then without. You should race in the state as tested.
If you can pass the requirements uncorrected then race without specs. If you cannot see without your specs then I would (as a fellow competitor) be grateful if you would put them on for racing. There are enough stories in the paddoick that start " I didn't see you" and that is from folk with no vusual defects!
What's the big deal? Jacques Villeneuve and David Coultard, to name two, are specs wearers.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 10:03 (Ref:2066334)   #12
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng
I do medicals for my racing friends. I test the eyes in the state they will race. i.e. If they wear specs for racing I test them in specs. If not then without. You should race in the state as tested.
If you can pass the requirements uncorrected then race without specs. If you cannot see without your specs then I would (as a fellow competitor) be grateful if you would put them on for racing. There are enough stories in the paddoick that start " I didn't see you" and that is from folk with no vusual defects!
What's the big deal? Jacques Villeneuve and David Coultard, to name two, are specs wearers.
Thats just the thing - I can see just fine with my left eye, and (apparently) pass the 6/6 test but they still told me I should get glasses for 'reading'? Tres odd.

My right eye will never get better as it is a neurological issue rather than eye defect...

As for why I don't want to wear glasses... it's not a "cosmetic" thing. I'm just clumsy as hell and will probably forget to take them off before removing helmet, sit on them etc etc.....
Old 12 Nov 2007, 20:06 (Ref:2065927)   #13
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really?
JV has been photographed in specs, but DC? Except maybe shades.
Is he shy about them?

John
Old 12 Nov 2007, 21:04 (Ref:2065984)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng
And Tom Chilton ...