Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 May 2005, 05:23 (Ref:1309558)   #1
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
2006 Race Calendar???

Anyone know how the 2006 CCWS Race Calendar may look?
Anyone know if there will be any new races next year?

I know that Long Beach will be back and China will be a new race joining the series next year.
Old 25 May 2005, 05:26 (Ref:1309559)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the evidence of the past couple of seasons it'll be a while before there's a firm calendar.

But as you say, Long Beach and China can be penned in.
Old 25 May 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1309816)   #3
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Toronto has signed a 5-year extension, and Edmonton should be a multi-year event too
Old 27 May 2005, 05:41 (Ref:1311284)   #4
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To my personal disappointment - but rather unsurprisingly - a friend of mine recently (about a month and a half ago) heard from Kevin Kalkhoven himself that Brazil is not a priority to Champ Cars for 2006.

According to the same source (who is a PR for a Champ Car team) don't be completely astonished if a race in New Zealand pans out.
Old 27 May 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1311312)   #5
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
What about Laguna Seca?
Old 28 May 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1312273)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
What about Laguna Seca?
Talks have stalled and now that MotoGP and A1GP will be racing there adding more races at the Laguna it doesn't look likely I'm afraid, and there have been no new talks, however there is a possibility that Road America could be back in 2006.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 06:10 (Ref:1320325)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
You can nail me for it if it does not happen, but I keep on receiving indications that New Zealand is being considered for a Champ Car race, maybe as soon as next year.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 07:12 (Ref:1320346)   #8
mitchie
Racer

Australia
mitchie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza
You can nail me for it if it does not happen, but I keep on receiving indications that New Zealand is being considered for a Champ Car race, maybe as soon as next year.
Interesting, very interesting. Not sure where they would hold it, or what the interest in the series is like over there with Dixon in the IRL (I was told that Champ Car isnt even telecast over there) so it would be a bit of a stretch methinks

Then again, N.Z. may be without a Supercar race next year after various odd things happening, so there may be an opening there, but I still very much doubt it
Old 5 Jun 2005, 06:57 (Ref:1320339)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are they going to have a race in New Zealand?
Old 5 Jun 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1320595)   #10
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Where are they going to have a race in New Zealand?
Cheers, racer69,

As far as I know for the time being only feasibility studies about New Zealand - aiming to validate what would be the demand and the impact of a race in that country - are being carried our by Champ Car. In such a preliminary stage I don't think the choice of venue itself is a major consideration: probably five or six sites (considering the strategy adopted by Champ Car under Los Tres (o Quatro) Amigos, likely including permanent circuits and street courses as well) have been listed as "location of interest", and that's it.

Clearly Champ Car is setting itself around the Pacific Rim - what is a very, very smart idea - and New Zealand, a country rich in motor racing tradition and passion, would complete the loop quite well. It would also be a great "subside" for Kalkhoven to hold a second racing in Australia. For years I have been saying that CART/Champ Cars should slide their calendar down the year to set itself apart from other series (A1 is just doing that now...) and two races in Australia and one in New Zealand may act as a platform to a sort of "revival" of the Tasman Cup. Should Kalkhoven and friends buy the rights to such name and use it, the impact of this approach onto antipodean motorsports would be immense.

I suspect that next up are India and Singapore. India particularly. Klakhoven has business interests there, motorsports are growing fast there and the importance of India's economy on a global scale is going to grow several folds in the next twenty years. But these are merely conjuctures of mine, I haven't heard anything on these two countries.

Regards,

Muzza
Old 6 Jun 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1321155)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The feasibility studies won't get far. Street Races are a no-go zone in New Zealand, and none of the tracks (of course upgrades may be possible if a CCWS race was in the offing) are suitable at the moment.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1323987)   #12
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems like this is turning more into an international series like F1 than an American Racing series like Champ Car used to be...
I am kinda disappointed that there aren't more american races because there are so many good tracks and areas to race in here, especially the old street races like Houston and Detroit
A good reason why we're losing American attendance in these races...
But i guess what happens happens.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1324069)   #13
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should be able to pen the following in

Long Beach, Toronto, Denver, Mexico City, Ansan, Surfers Paradise

Pencil in these unless something unforeseen happens

San Jose, Cleveland, Montreal, China (risk because new event), Edmonton

Below are the shaky venues, although Monterrey maybe be in the previous group

Portland is the most in danger of getting dropped, lack of money.
Milwaukee is completely up in the air, the early June date likely dead anyway
Monterrey has financial issues, but I expect them back as they got a good crowd.
LVMS is a track rental, its fate may rest with having another oval somewhere

I know Kalkhoven and Champcar are in discussion with several potential venues. Japan and New Zealand seem the most serious. But these could be 2007.

The schedule may actually turn out stable, with Beijing area replacing Portland. If New Zealand could be added it would really help the bottom line for Surfers, and be a coup for Kalkhoven. I think New Zealand could replace Milwaukee or LVMS.

The main problem with the Pacific races is they may well push the Schedule deeper into summer. Perhaps Australia and New Zealand should be looked at as early season races after Long Beach.

I tend to think the ovals are dead, as the 2007 chassis formula will be much cheaper and better tailored to the mostly street circuits they run without having to compromise for ovals. A nimble car with longer breaking distances (passing) for the street circuits could make the series more interesting.

Geographically about 80% of the US is by-passed with only Cleveland east of Denver. One really has to wonder if Kalkhoven and Forsythe will look for a City street venue somewhere in the South - a region the IRL is weak. For whatever reason I think Birmingham, New Orleans area, Charleston or Memphis would be the most interested and bring the most to the series.

My two cents.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1324125)   #14
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let`s see, Australia, New Zealand, S.Korea, China and Kevin`s home race in the states in San Jose.
I`m a CC supporter, but it`s time to call a spade a spade.
I`ll wait for the schedule, but I see the door and I`m ready to walk out.
If I`m going to fly to my favorite series`, Bernie and Don Panoz might end up with my money.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1325644)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Let`s see, Australia, New Zealand, S.Korea, China and Kevin`s home race in the states in San Jose.
I`m a CC supporter, but it`s time to call a spade a spade.
I`ll wait for the schedule, but I see the door and I`m ready to walk out.
If I`m going to fly to my favorite series`, Bernie and Don Panoz might end up with my money.
I wouldn't pass on your money yet, although the ALMS is a great alternative. OWRS have said that the series will always be atleast half of the races in America. So I guess it depends on how much you trust them.

Tim, I also do hope the Philadelphia race can take off. I only saw one article about the idea, so i'm pretty thin on info. Does anyone have anymore news etc regarding this proposed race.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1325585)   #16
IronLion
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
IronLion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they looked at a 2nd Australian race where do you think they would be looking? As for a New Zealand race, that would be great though i dont know where they would race. Somone above already stated that a street race wont happen. why not?
Old 11 Jun 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1325608)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about the talk of a race in Philadelphia in Fairmount Park???

July 4th weekend in the city that is synonymous with that American holiday???

That event would be a big Home Run for the Series....and it sure makes more sense than a race in New Zealand...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1328390)   #18
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There isn't any event in Oz that really jumps out as a second event. Bathurst is a great track, but quite honestly the thought of Champcars whizzing around there gives me the heeby-jeebies! Pairing the Champcars with V8SC would be the go, otherwise the crowd would be much poorer IMO. Adelaide would be great, but the timing of the V8 race is bad with respect to Surfers in October. The only other (current) circuits that are remotely suitable are Eastern Creek (A1GP double date?) and Phillip Island, with the remotest possibility of the new Bob Jane Bunbury International Circuit (double date with Formula Nippon?).

Ditto the NZ events: all street courses seem to be a no-go zone, and there aren't really any permanent road courses that currently fit the bill (at least that I can think of!).
Old 13 Jun 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1327687)   #19
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if theirs a second race in oz id like to see them in adelade on the gp circuit
Old 13 Jun 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1327700)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr230772
if theirs a second race in oz id like to see them in adelade on the gp circuit

Bathhurst, Baby.....Bathhurst!!!!!

I know...it would never happen...but boy would it be COOL!!!

Old 14 Jun 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1328395)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
If you go to www.racingcircuits.net and look up New Zealand, (via the "Oceana" tab at the top) there is a street circuit in Dunedin City, but it is only 1.5 miles

There also is a circuit called "Mansfeild" that has a 2.8 mile "Grand Prix Circuit"...but images of the place indicated to me that it might not be suitable for Champ Cars...

Everything else down there seems to be no longer in operation....