Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jun 2008, 06:58 (Ref:2230575)   #1
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will V8 Development Series cars race in the endurance events?

I don;t know whether they are or not. Plz ratify this fact, if it is a fact.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2230610)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not this year, the plan seems to be to include them next year
Old 18 Jun 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2231649)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a great idea. Imagine Bathurst with 55 cars.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2232334)   #4
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
What a great idea. Imagine Bathurst with 55 cars.
Definitely showing your age if you can remember seeing 55 start at bathurst. mmmm those were the days, cars starting from back near the chase.... those were the days... ooops showing my age now.

Seriously, I would love to see it happen but highly doubtful when you allow for the DVS guys that get into L1 teams for the weekend there wont be many teams left to 'have a crack' like was the tradition.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 02:03 (Ref:2232331)   #5
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could the pit garage facility handle 55 cars?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 02:54 (Ref:2232337)   #6
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
Could the pit garage facility handle 55 cars?
From memory it was built to have 2 cars in each "garage" wasn't it.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 05:22 (Ref:2232361)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
maybe not 55 but Im sure we could bump the field to 35 possible 40, now that would be great.

Their would have to be some sort of criteria for the Fujitsu cars to get in , the top 10 in the championship perhaps and if they pass it gets passed to the next guy. But where do they draw the line as to yea or nay ??

Excellent idea though and one that would be a good reward for the Fujitsu guys
Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2232440)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's 36 two-car garages, therefore allowing 72 cars to fit in the pits (the pits were designed with the old 24hr in mind)

Of course as far as i know the CAMS track density is still at 55.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 06:34 (Ref:2233157)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see any reason why they can't allow the top five fujitsu cars to race at Bathurst.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 05:38 (Ref:2233852)   #10
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I don't see any reason why they can't allow the top five fujitsu cars to race at Bathurst.
The top five are the least likely to be able to because the drivers, who almost always are the source of the teams funding, directly or indirectly, have jumped ship to the main game teams who need co-drivers.

The co-driver concept is almost preventative of allowing Fujitsu teams enterring.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 05:56 (Ref:2233855)   #11
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only asked because IMO, 28 cars starting a race 1000kms long on the longest track in the country definitely isn't enough. I'm only 17 and I can still remember, especially the '99 FAI 1000 where there were about 55 cars in the field for that year's race, including privateers. The number of cars entering ever since that year or something has gone down every year and I found that kind of saddening. I say bring back the days of the big Bathurst grid because i believe that would be better to watch and the privateer teams.

If it were up to me, with the V8 Development cars, I would have them running on chassis 1-2 years old and that's it. You don't, or I wouldn't want the Development cars being heaps slower that the regular V8 cars. That's just what I think.

Also with the issue of a possible driver shortage, I'm sure that some of the Carrera Cup drivers and possibly a couple of Australian GT drivers would relish the opportunity to driver in the Bathurst 1000.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2233983)   #12
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilkeWannabe
If it were up to me, with the V8 Development cars, I would have them running on chassis 1-2 years old and that's it. You don't, or I wouldn't want the Development cars being heaps slower that the regular V8 cars. That's just what I think.
"Heaps slower" is subjective. In general I think you will find that the "Heaps" would not be as slow as the pre V8SC days when more than one class was running.

How things have changed hey? Here we are discussing if a larger grid of the same category can run.

Sad really.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2233570)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Why only the Top 5?

Especially considering that most of the top 5 in the development series will be picked up by a main series team. Some of the cars outside the Fujitsu top 5 would probably produce a stronger pairing

If they want to continue keeping the battlers away, at the very least open it up to any car that did the full fujitsu series. For the size of the track anything under 40 cars is a joke.

And for those who will say that it will lead to more safety cars...we get more safety cars with 30 entries nowadays than we did when the field was around 45.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2233781)   #14
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would there be a safety issue with the lower bracket of Fujitsu cars amongst the big guns and the differential in speed.
Also the amount of inexperienced drivers amongst a massive field, and at a track like Bathurst.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 01:58 (Ref:2233832)   #15
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto
Would there be a safety issue with the lower bracket of Fujitsu cars amongst the big guns and the differential in speed.
Also the amount of inexperienced drivers amongst a massive field, and at a track like Bathurst.
The differential in speed would be insignificant compared to that experienced during the running of the race from 1963 to 1994.

Dealing with slower traffic is sadly missing from today's touring car races.

I have always thought adding the Carrera Cup cars to the field would be a good idea.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 02:53 (Ref:2233841)   #16
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto

Check out the qualifying times at Sandown for the two classes. Pole for the Fujis would have been on the tenth row in the main game. or thereabouts.

I'd say regardless of the car they'd have to qualify within the 107% ?

Open the event up for all V8SCs I say. But I guess the main game drivers will cry about once a year drivers getting in the way and costing them series points. But stuff 'em! They manage to do a good enough job with lost points and panel damage on their own, so it's time to put away the Kleenex.

One must also remember that if we have 55 cars on the grid we need at least 110 drivers. Now that would be a sore point for the main game guys if the Development Fujis chose to race in their own cars.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 01:51 (Ref:2233831)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Why only the Top 5?
OK, the top 10 or 15, that's fine by me!
Old 21 Jun 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2233840)   #18
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to me to be a good way to increase the amount of passing.... even if a significant amount of it is due to Fujitsu cars getting lapped. Class racing works well in other series. I can't see any genuine downside to this plan.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 06:09 (Ref:2233863)   #19
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Falcadore, you do raise a valid point. Why spend your cash entering your top 5 Fujicar when you can park it and get a co-drive for the weekend.

I doubt you would have too much trouble finding 110 willing drivers to race in the Blah Blah 1000. Finding 110 with enough funding might be an issue.

One must see past the V8 spin doctoring and see that these cars are not the hardest cars to drive. Sure it might be hard getting the last few tenths from the machines to get you up the front end, but most of the guys at the really sharp and pointy end have both the talent and funding behind them. Go back a few years and no Team Owner would trust anyone under 30 to drive a touring car.

Now we give these cars to teenagers. Granted, they have sharp reflexes and think they're invincible but I think you'd find the driving talent pool would be big enough to put 55 cars on the grid.

Qualifying rules and the concrete walls should act as natural attrition to weed out the "Planet Morks" before Sunday morning.......
Old 21 Jun 2008, 06:35 (Ref:2233871)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From the 2007 Bathurst timing...

Quickest Fujitsu Series Practice/Qualifying lap: 2:09.0264 T.D'Alberto Q1 Here
Quickest Main Series Practice/Qualifying lap: 2:07.0093 G.Tander P3 Here
Difference = 2.0171 seconds = 1.588% slower

Quickest Fujitsu Series Race lap: 2:11.1454 M.Caruso R2 Here
Quickest Main Series Race lap: 2:08.4651 J.Whincup Here
Difference = 2.6803 seconds = 2.086% slower

Or if you take the slowest main game fastest race lap: 2:11.1473 F.Coulthard or the next nearest 2:11.0347 M.Noske....

... the development series cars appear in the ballpark (or the quickest one does anyway)... with those pilots... who each have main game endurance duties....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Jun 2008, 06:41 (Ref:2233873)   #21
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
And with a 6 kay circuit it should take a few laps before the leaders start lapping.

But we could use the Safety Car to sort that out.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 07:00 (Ref:2233879)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would someone really pay to drive a car that is likely to be lapped at least 5 times during the event?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 21 Jun 2008, 07:08 (Ref:2233880)   #23
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Would someone really pay to drive a car that is likely to be lapped at least 5 times during the event?
There has probably been at least one person every year since 1963......
Old 21 Jun 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2233939)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

i would
Old 21 Jun 2008, 07:39 (Ref:2233890)   #25
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Only one per year?

Surely there's more than one car per year that finishes 5 laps down.