Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Jun 2003, 19:59 (Ref:635919)   #1
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sanyo sponsored Rover SD1s

Can any of you out there point me in the direction of any sites with images or details of the TWR GP1 and GPA Rover SD1s from the early 80's? I have searched all over the place and not come up with much.

Cheers

Chris
Old 18 Jun 2003, 20:22 (Ref:635942)   #2
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Chris, here's a couple to be going on with , although you may already have them , http://austinrover.mg-rover.org/index.htm then click on SD1 on the left hand menu and run down to motorsport - there are some good pics there, also http://members.tripod.com/~RoverSD_1/ and then click on 20 April 2003 European Touringcar Championship you'll be able to get some tech spec and pics of the Rovers and what they were up against.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 08:40 (Ref:637348)   #3
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Thanks Slowcoach. I only Sanyo shot I have seen already. I'm amazed there are not more shots from the Tricentrol (Trimoco) championship around. I've yet to see one of the Patrick Motorsport Rover and the only Sanyo one around has been scanned from the Rover SD1 book!

Chris
Old 20 Jun 2003, 09:55 (Ref:637403)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
I know what you mean- I first started to follow touring cars in the early 80's, and several times I've looked for photos of that period on the web, and had a real job to find them- my own photo collection isn't too good for that period either, as I didn't really start to take photos seriuosly until the end of the 80's- (one day I'll get round to digging out & scanning some of that stuff, as I know I've got photos which fit in with several recent threads....)
Old 20 Jun 2003, 10:57 (Ref:637457)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I expect I've got a few at home Chris. If I get time on my next leave I'll dig them out.

Would I be wrong in thinking you've got hold of a Group 1 SD1?
Old 20 Jun 2003, 11:10 (Ref:637471)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
isnt there an ex works one coming up for auction at the HSCC Super Prix meeting where all teh TWR car collection is being offloaded
Old 20 Jun 2003, 11:52 (Ref:637514)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
isnt there an ex works one coming up for auction at the HSCC Super Prix meeting where all teh TWR car collection is being offloaded
Yes- it's one of the Bastos-liveried ETCC cars from 1985 or 86
Old 20 Jun 2003, 12:39 (Ref:637559)   #8
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Ssshhhhh Peter! I dont want them all to know! Guess what colour I want to paint it!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 12:55 (Ref:637572)   #9
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to that sale aswell - some tasty stuff up for grabs - have you seen the pic's on the sale website ?
Chris I am hoping to have my Rover back to it's original Group 2 spec.and unique look - either for Snett or at worst for Silverstone, its looking a bit shabby at mom but we've had some logistical problems....will you be at either of those meetings? I have pretty much a full set of the original photos from when it competed in the 1980 T.T.at Silverstone - once I get my computer fixed I'd be happy to scan them in and send them but it'll be a while.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 15:02 (Ref:637706)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Griffin
Ssshhhhh Peter! I dont want them all to know! Guess what colour I want to paint it!
Bugger! Another one!

IIRC Peter and Dick Lovett drove the Sanyo cars. Steve Soper drove the Hermetite car.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 15:03 (Ref:637708)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oh and the Ex TWR Bastos car would be Group A not Group 1.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 19:36 (Ref:637919)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here are some I took at Coppice at Donington in '82. Don't know how they will come out here, taken with a very cheap camera!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rovers-3.jpg (25.5 KB, 242 views)
Old 20 Jun 2003, 19:38 (Ref:637922)   #13
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another - heading off the Capris. Note the lack of fencing. Marvellous!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rovers-2.jpg (24.0 KB, 236 views)
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:08 (Ref:637947)   #14
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Thanks Andrew thats exactly the year I was looking for. The first year of Sanyo sponsorship and the last of GP1. I was probably even marshalling at that event! 9 times out of 10 I would be posted at McLeans for some reason. Never short of something to clear up on that corner! Is that Charles Sawyer Hoare and the 2 Kamasa Spice Capris in the chase? Got any more!! ;-)
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:11 (Ref:637951)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Another - heading off the Capris. Note the lack of fencing. Marvellous!
You sure that was 82? Looks more like 81 to me.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 20 Jun 2003 at 20:12.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:13 (Ref:637955)   #16
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Quote:
Chris I am hoping to have my Rover back to it's original Group 2 spec.and unique look - either for Snett or at worst for Silverstone, its looking a bit shabby at mom but we've had some logistical problems....will you be at either of those meetings?
Slowcoach.. We are aiming to have the Rover out at Silverstone. Either way I'll be there. I'll come over for a chat.

Re the TWR Bastos SD1 sale.. I know a few people who have expressed interest in that one. I've heard estimates of 25 to 30k! Be intersting to see what it goes for. There was also a Bastos mock-up car going at Gaydon too.

Chris
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:19 (Ref:637962)   #17
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowcoach
I'm going to that sale aswell - some tasty stuff up for grabs - have you seen the pic's on the sale website ?
Whats the site address Slowcoach?
Old 21 Jun 2003, 11:58 (Ref:638364)   #18
KA
Veteran

This thread has started me thinking- apart from the cars mentioned in this thread what happened to the TWR Rovers- they were raced for a number of years, so there must have been quite a few built. Other than that show car which was displayed at Gaydon, I don't think I remember seeing one since the late 80's. Any offers?
Old 21 Jun 2003, 12:02 (Ref:638365)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Colin Pearcy had one, together with the ex Tony Pond Metro Turbo. I believe it may be the one which is now up for salt by TWR. I know he sold it around 1994. Wish I'd had the dosh at the time.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 12:08 (Ref:638367)   #20
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Griffin
Whats the site address Slowcoach?

http://www.wyles-hardy.com/equipment2.html#twr1
Ignore the Boeing 747 at the top of the page(!) you need to scroll down the page- the list starts with Group C Jags and then moves on to F1 cars and an interesting collection of other historic machinery- including the touring cars
Old 21 Jun 2003, 12:16 (Ref:638374)   #21
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Colin Pearcy had one, together with the ex Tony Pond Metro Turbo. I believe it may be the one which is now up for salt by TWR. I know he sold it around 1994. Wish I'd had the dosh at the time.
I remeber Pearcy running his Metro in the BTCC around 87- hadn't realised he had a Rover as well. He had a couple of ex-works MGBs as well if memory serves.

Brian Chatfield certainly had one- ran it in a couple of Thundersaloon races around 87/8, still in Bastos coluors (without the signwriting)

Last edited by KA; 21 Jun 2003 at 12:17.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 14:20 (Ref:638459)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well the ex works tag for the B's might be stretching the point. He would be the first to tell you that it wasn't the case. However he did own RMO 699F the Sebring MGC GTS.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 14:34 (Ref:638462)   #23
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Well the ex works tag for the B's might be stretching the point. He would be the first to tell you that it wasn't the case. However he did own RMO 699F the Sebring MGC GTS.
...which would be the car I'm thinking of- I knew he had a works car, and remembered him racing Bs, and got the two confused.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 22:48 (Ref:638744)   #24
ken clarke
Racer

ken clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Colin Pearcy,s Rover was the car driven by Gerry Marshall at the inaugural Classic Thunder race in 98. This car (chassis no 14) is now owned by Brian Kershaw. This is a 1985 car. The one in the sale at Brands (chassis no 19) is a 1986 car built by yours truly & the last Rover built by TWR. There were only 15 or 16 cars actually built ( not sure exactly ) memory fading, however there wer chassis numbers in excees of numbers built, this is because some cars were rebuilt & given a new identity (chassis no) for the following season.

There were Three Bastos replicas built, Some had running gear, others wer complete mock ups with suspension welded up & no springs.

I know, I was that soldier.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 23:01 (Ref:638750)   #25
ken clarke
Racer

ken clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Colin Pearcy,s Rover was the car driven by Gerry Marshall at the inaugural Classic Thunder race in 98. This car (chassis no 14) is now owned by Brian Kershaw. This is a 1985 car. The one in the sale at Brands (chassis no 19) is a 1986 car built by yours truly & the last Rover built by TWR. There were only 15 or 16 cars actually built ( not sure exactly ) memory fading, however there wer chassis numbers in excees of numbers built, this is because some cars were rebuilt & given a new identity (chassis no) for the following season.

There were Three Bastos replicas built, Some had running gear, others wer complete mock ups with suspension welded up & no springs.

I know, I was that soldier.