Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Nov 2002, 12:31 (Ref:429149)   #1
rx3racer
Rookie

rx3racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest news on Lakeside!

Just looking at some minutes from the Pine Rivers shire web site and found an interesting item on the noise and water pollution study that is being carried out. Cars running no more than 90db may be able to run at the circuit if they can convince the locals to aircondition and sound proof their houses. I wonder where the money will come from for that? Anyone else got some news.
http://www.prsc.qld.gov.au/your_coun...er/sc08-10.pdf
Old 16 Nov 2002, 09:43 (Ref:429802)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
These would be the same locals who built houses there after the circuit had been running for years?

Oddly enough, when the local councillor called a meeting to rally the residents against the circuit, only 20 of them bothered to show up. At the end of the meeting, a vote was taken and just TWO local residents were against the circuit.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 04:36 (Ref:431042)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes- have got news, and the news is that there is no news. Basically the ongoing saga of environmental impact and a heap of other studies will carry on until the end of time. Basically at this stage, nothing will be happening next year, fingers crossed for 2004, and fingers crossed that they don't subdivide the joint. Heritage listing might still be a chance..
Old 2 Oct 2003, 00:26 (Ref:737299)   #4
rx3racer
Rookie

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts president Ian Milton and vice president Warren Smith met with Pine Rivers Shire Councillor, Chris Monsour and Manager Land Development Services, Andy Opanowycz on Thursday, 4 September 2003 to discuss recent reports in the media regarding Lakeside Raceway.

The meeting was described as co-operative and an eye-opener for both parties. It was another opportunity for LMRE to explain that the return of club level racing to Lakeside does not have to include V8Supercars. The PRSC offered to procure documents of interest for the LMRE under the Freedom Of Information Act and LMRE reciprocated with an offer to work with Council to develop sensible noise controls, including providing race cars and bikes to assist with sound level testing.

However, with various Pine Rivers Shire Councillors making claims in the media that Lakeside has polluted the local water system and that the reason for the purchase of Lakeside International Raceway was to safeguard the area's future water supply, the issue had to be clarified.

Ian Milton asked the Council representatives for documentation to prove the pollution accusations. Both Cr Monsour and Mr. Opanowycz admitted that they were unable to provide any written proof of past, present or future water pollution.

"Not surprisingly, today's meeting provided Council with the opportunity to substantiate claims of water pollution at Lakeside and they were unable to do so. Therefore, they've spent $600,000 of rate payer's money on a venture based on rumours rather than facts!", said Ian Milton.

With the reasons for the purchase of the motor racing circuit becoming unclear, the PRSC threw its business acumen into question with statements that they bought the facility without any plan for its future and were relying solely on a public expression of interest to provide a solution.

In regards to the PRSC appeal against the Heritage Listing, Cr. Monsour admitted that Council has not planned a budget, nor have they received an estimate from legal advisors for the cost of the appeal.

"Warren and I both run businesses in the area and we were shocked by the lack of concern for the financial risks, but when Cr Monsour confessed that Council doesn't believe the heritage listing appeal will succeed, well, my jaw nearly hit the floor!", said Ian Milton.

LMRE also questioned Cr Monsour about her comments regarding the circumstances in which Lakeside was purchased in the 29 May, 2003 edition of The Westerner, Cr Monsour said that Council purchased the facility in November 2001 at the price of $600,000 despite there being offers on the table of 1 - 2 million dollars.

"I believe that other contenders may have a case for litigation if this resolution is reversed."

Ian Milton asked the Councillor to explain the remarkable negotiations performed, which were able to convince the receivers to sell the facility to Council for less than half the amount others were willing to pay.

"I asked Cr Monsour why she believes the Pine Rivers Shire rate payers could be exposed to a law suit for buying Lakeside and she refused to elaborate", said Ian Milton.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 01:48 (Ref:737352)   #5
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
and fingers crossed that they don't subdivide the joint.
And herein lies the answer - subdivision.

You can bet your balls that there will be a developer waiting there, with plenty of cash to "persuade" the authorities, or individuals, to accept that sub-division is the only beneficial future for the site.

Ditto for Phillip Island.

I s'pose that the only reason why Sandown's still with us is that it incorporates a horse racing track. Otherwise, it too, would now be peoples' backyards...
Old 2 Oct 2003, 02:15 (Ref:737373)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although the thing that is stopping anything from going on, whether good or evil is the herritage listing on the place...
Old 2 Oct 2003, 03:11 (Ref:737400)   #7
rx3racer
Rookie

I am afraid that there are certain councillors in the PRSC that obviously have a big problem with motorsport. It seems that maybe they are running out of excuses to prevent it returning as they cannot substantiate most of their claims. "Wake up PRSC" your rate payers want motorsport back at LAKESIDE. Maybe the ratepayers will make some different decisions at the next local elections.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 03:53 (Ref:737432)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think the PRSC is completely anti-motorsport, just judging by their support of Strathpine and the Brendale precinct. I think there are a couple of councilors against it, but for the most part, the councilors really don't know which way to jump. The division in the ranks of the pro-Lakeside people can't help at all, and the Heritage listing at this stage causing more problems than allowing motorsport back at the track...
Old 2 Oct 2003, 04:17 (Ref:737447)   #9
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Testy - what is the Brendale precinct?
Old 2 Oct 2003, 04:48 (Ref:737458)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Over in the industrial estate there is a big area for BMX racing and remote control cars etc. The council went to a lot of effort to surface the car track, and helps them out in a lot of ways. They are as noisy as bugger, run all day and night on the weekends, and have some really good racing
Old 2 Oct 2003, 05:11 (Ref:737468)   #11
GTV27
Veteran

ah, the RC cars - I saw your photo's on accelerate, Nice! Reminds me of a mispent youth.

I also read the Lakeside press release on accelerate (get the plug in - www.qrda.asn.au)- do you think it is fair to say that PRSC is regretting getting sucked into the Lakeside issue and is now looking for a way out?
Old 2 Oct 2003, 06:18 (Ref:737516)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
They probably have been sucked in a bit, but I don't think anyone knows what the score is. I could drag on for years without a proper yay or nay answer, and every man and his dog thinks that they have a legal leg to stand on and are capable of winning in a court of law. Probably won't help get racing back there in the forseeable future though...
Old 2 Oct 2003, 06:51 (Ref:737555)   #13
GTV27
Veteran

Its sad to say (and doesn't suit my cause either) but once motor racing ceased at Lakeside it was virtually doomed never to start again, as all the surrounding residents can say that the "recommencement" would devalue their properties (whether or not it is actually true).

"Road" car events is probably the best that can be hoped for - but with the sort of penalising noise restrictions that would make Darlington Park seem like a noisefest.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 10:49 (Ref:737781)   #14
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Getting the council to change their mind will be the easy bit. The problem with changing their mind is that the consequence is then a commitment to funding the re-licencing works so the track can get insurance. Regardless of what the council has spent so far, they will be reluctant to spend any more for very little or no return. But perhaps those that want to race there will be be prepared to pay the high price to keep it open. The user pays mentality is firmly grounded at PRSC.

I have raced there and would love to do so again, but who else is prepared to pay twice or three times the current costs. Time to put up the money - show the PRSC that it will be viable.

Subdividing is not on the horizon - the shores of the lake are zoned such that the minimum block size is 16ha - that makes just two very expensive house blocks with long curvy driveways - hmmm - anyone know a "Lord March" down under. Imagine a "Goodwood" style annual event along (around) someone's private driveway - at "Lakeside". Bit too visionary for the PRSC I suspect.

Last edited by spook; 2 Oct 2003 at 10:52.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 10:56 (Ref:737788)   #15
superman2000
Rookie

superman2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They can never turn it into houses, unless they build dykes. You ever seen that place when the lake rises.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 11:07 (Ref:737806)   #16
spook
Veteran

When the lake is very full you can still drive there - carefully - unless the dam wall is raised of course. I have been there (a long time ago) when the dam was chockers and you felt like you were driving across a pond. Access would be via Cooper Road for the Subdivision anyway (the existing property boundaries include an access strip to Cooper Rd)- cheaper development costs there, and you don't run the golf ball gauntlett.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 11:16 (Ref:737823)   #17
spook
Veteran

Lake Kurwongbah has a tiny catchment area when compared with the nearby Lake Samsonvale, so it's value to the PRSC is really as a large water tank to store water purchased from BCC (or Sunwater ??) (who own Lake Samsonvale). You buy the water when it's cheap & plentiful in summer, store it for the dry months/years when the prices are higher. PRSC will always have to worry about their water supplies - their only storage dam is small, old and often empty. BCC has the luxury of three major storage dams.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 12:10 (Ref:739235)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It onky has to rain steadily for a few days and you've got a problem on your hands though. '96 ATCC round was put back a week 'cos the circuit went under. Club level racing or car club rcing won't have the same upheavals as a national meeting but the facts still remain. Lakeside is on shaky ground, more's the pity.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 3 Oct 2003, 12:54 (Ref:739285)   #19
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all fairness to Lakeside with that '96 postponed meeting, the rain fell for over a week & most of the South East corner of the State was under water as well.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 13:03 (Ref:739297)   #20
Mattracer
Veteran

True, I remember it all well!

Old 3 Oct 2003, 23:16 (Ref:739916)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It was never a drama when the lake was empty, but when it was full and bucketed down there were dramas. I remember one of the last club meetings held there was with half of the kink under water...

I remember once when in the rand plans there were thoughts of sticking a tunnel under the track near the final turn... ooops!
Old 4 Oct 2003, 11:27 (Ref:740236)   #22
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1989 ATCC round also had to be postponed due to flooding. The old Surfers Paradise suffered from the same problem; we had two national-level racetracks in SE Queensland and they both suffered from flooding...

BTW Crash Test, how long did it take for them to figure out that the tunnel would be a bad idea?
Old 4 Oct 2003, 11:32 (Ref:740241)   #23
Mattracer
Veteran

Well I got me shoes all muddy in the trek to the car park in '01 at QR. THe tunnel would have run the gate-between-races idea pretty close for ooops factor.

Old 5 Oct 2003, 06:20 (Ref:740787)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think the plan was then to put a tunnel near the Dunlop/Jaguar Bridge, but the rumour was that the soil in that part of the earth was too dodgy...
Old 4 Feb 2004, 01:07 (Ref:862114)   #25
rx3racer
Rookie

Here is the latest:

Brisbane, Queensland – A capacity crowd of automotive enthusiasts, local business people and fans met to hear Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts proposal to the Pine Rivers Shire Council and the Queensland State Government that a trust be formed to manage Lakeside's future and bring about the return of club-level motor racing to the heritage listed circuit.

The supporters' breakfast was well attended by half the Pine Rivers Shire Council, including Mayor Yvonne Chapman and the State Member for Kurwongbah, Linda Lavarach.

While the Councillors were not able to comment on the proposal at the meeting due to the pending legal case against the heritage listing of Lakeside, the plan was clearly well received and the Mayor offered to make arrangements for another meeting with LMRE in two weeks.

Similarly, Ms. Lavarach couldn't be specific, but did say that it was up to the Council to take the next step and her "door was open", but did warn that any undertaking of this nature would be "a lot of hard work".

President of the Pine Rivers Central Chamber of Commerce, Mrs. Gayle Dallaston was very positive towards the idea and spoke of local members who said the closure of Lakeside had badly damaged their businesses.

Even as a self confessed non-motorsporting person, she was critical of the Council's appeal against the heritage listing of Lakeside. Mrs. Dallaston said that the closure of the circuit was damaging the community's image and went further to point out that the Pine Rivers ratepayers were going to be funding both the Shire's appeal and the State's defence and the money would be better spent re-opening Lakeside.

LMRE president, Ian Milton said,

"We're very pleased with the positive reaction from the Council and local business people, but I have to say, that we've been overwhelmed by the support from the motorsport community. The Trust concept delivers a win for everyone and there's no reason why it couldn't be successful."

Brain child of LMRE member and barrister-at-law, Chris Robertson explained how a trust works.

"Essentially, a trust is the placing of property or money, or both, under the control of a particular person or persons, often but not necessarily with defined guidelines, for the benefit of another person or persons."

"We are floating the concept of a trust, but a trust created under a statute - an act of parliament. Why? Because, a statute will provide strict guidlines under which the trust and the trustees must operate and it will also allow land to be held in perpetuity."

An LMRE spokesman summarized the benefits a trust will provide as follows:

A Trust will allow the owners to transfer the financial responsibility of the facility without a strategic loss of control.

A Trust management board will be comprised of representatives from all the major stakeholders, including the primary facility users, Pine Rivers Shire Council and the State Government.

A Trust can help protect the owners from frivolous complaints and insurance claims made against the facility.

A Trust can then lease the management rights to a professional third party to operate the facility on a day-to-day basis.

A Trust will qualify the owners for either pre-approval or exemption from some of its heritage listing responsibilities.

For a complete copy of the LMRE Trust Proposal, visit www.lakesideraceway.com/trust_proposal.htm