Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1038204)   #1
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's going! Oh no he isn't...

Just a few weeks after announcing that he was relinquishing the Presidency of the FIA, Max Mosley has now announced that he is staying on as FIA President until October 2005.

This is coming from the man who made a speech on 2 July 2004 which included the phrase: "I am not a Formula One team principal so I don't change my mind every few minutes."

So it looks as if I may have to stage that coup to get him out of office after all.

Last edited by Suzy; 16 Jul 2004 at 14:34.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:36 (Ref:1038207)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: He's going! Oh no he isn't...

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
So it looks as if I may have to stage that coup to get him out of office after all.
Does that mean you are volunteering for the job ?
Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1038212)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1038217)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know why..but i actually side with Max. He gets alot of bad press and criticism despite him doing a respectable job.

I felt sorry about his sudden announcement of stepping down..and it's nice to hear his going to complete his term.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1038218)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=21735

The story.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1038221)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Suzy, you must wait some more years to get there...
Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1038222)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FIA Press release.

MR MAX MOSLEY

At a meeting immediately following the FIA Extraordinary General Assembly on July 1st, 2004, the FIA Senate unanimously called on Max Mosley to rescind his decision to step down in October 2004 and to continue in office at least until the end of his mandate in October 2005. The Senate informed Mr Mosley that his early departure would damage the interests of the FIA.

The FIA Senate met in London today and were informed by Max Mosley that he had received approaches from all sections of the FIA making the same points as the Senate and even going as far as to say that it would be irresponsible for him to step down this year. Accordingly, he feels bound to accede to the Senate’s request. He expressed his thanks for the confidence shown in him both by the Senate and the full membership of the FIA.

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press...160704-02.html
Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1038230)   #8
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: He's going! Oh no he isn't...

Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
Does that mean you are volunteering for the job ?
I've been planning to take over the FIA for months. I'm a total megalomaniac you see

I hope Max will now withdraw some of the personal remarks he made about some team principals in his various speeches since he announced his phantom resignation. Otherwise he may find them to be even more resistant to him and awkward than he already perceives them to be...
Old 16 Jul 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1038245)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's nothing sinister about this decision, but I agree Max needs to stop his nonsense about Jackie Stewart, Ron Dennis, Frank Williams and Eddie Jordan.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1038310)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm no fan of Max..but frankly, sometimes you wonder if it is the likes of Ron Dennis, Frank Williams, Paul Stoddart, Jackie Stewart who's giving Max the nonsense instead.

Particular team principals have showed themselves to be very self-interest motivated and hard to deal with.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:41 (Ref:1038326)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

I agree with you, Gt_R, that the team bosses should not be dictating rules - it's just when Max attacks these people personally that annoys me.

He should stick to attacking what the team bosses want to do, rather than attacking them.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:00 (Ref:1038348)   #12
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its appears another hollow threat from the King of Hollow Threats.

you can almost hear him in an FIA Council meeting "If you dont play by my rules I'm going home and taking my ball with me".

I wish the old duffer would just push off once and for all.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1038362)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Max has been good for F1 - and as has been explained, he's been asked to stay on, rather than changing his mind himself.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:16 (Ref:1038366)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I think it would be something of a poison chalice if MM wasn't able to get the new regs through before he left, in light of his resignation comments on the impossiblity of getting any sense out of teams, who would take the job on I wonder.

Staying on increases his chances of pushing through before he leaves and more importantly leaving a clear set of regulations for the next FIA chief.

No wonder they asked him to stay on!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:07 (Ref:1038414)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dissapointing news.

I know Max has done some good work for F1 but he's on a bit of a slump if you ask me.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1038416)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, at least he's willing to see out his term.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1038424)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is he waiting for Jean Todt to retire and take over or something? Maybe Jean is planning to leave a year earlier than planned?

Oh dear, I think I've gone crazy again.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1038435)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Well, at least he's willing to see out his term.
I think he is doing the right thing. He changed his mind hrug: He did it after others asked him to and to try and do what he feels is right.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1038978)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It annoys me! The whole deal was a big ego trip for him - essentially he was just fishing for compliments...

He's annoyed that he can't get his changes through within the FIA and he's annoyed that he can't work properly within F1 to leave himself a nice legacy.

So what does he do? He threatens to leave in order to see how many people come up to him gushing about how much of a disaster it'll be for the FIA if he leaves.

I don't think he ever had the intention of leaving - although he would've been forced to if no-one had begged him to stay.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 16:53 (Ref:1039078)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Max has been good for F1
Is that a joke?

So the measures introduced in 1998, narrow cars and grooved tyres were good for F1?

In my mind they have killed F1 as a spectacle.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1039084)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

The narrow cars and grooved tyres haven't killed F1 as a spectacle.

The inherent problems which prevent good racing were there before that.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1039091)   #22
Gt_R
Veteran

I won't say Max is the best thing that happen's in FIA and F1's history...but frankly, he does deserve a bit of compliment for the work he had done. Even if some things he introduce doesn't go well with others, he's efforts shouldn't be criticised, but recognised.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 17:41 (Ref:1039101)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
It annoys me! The whole deal was a big ego trip for him - essentially he was just fishing for compliments...
Bit of a risk if it was don't you think.

Is it not possible that he decided to go early and then changed his mind to see out his term.

Radical theory I know, but it doesn't rely on studying for many years to become a psychiatrist and then delving deep into the mind of the president to assess his vanity.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1039109)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

It's quite unfortunate really. Max initially was intending to continue beyond his current term and run for the next election... BUT for him to change his mind and tender his resignation a year before his term is due showed how much he couldn't tolerate the way team principals behave.

Who's Right or wrong is another matter..but it's a sign that Max just lost the enthusiasm for his role.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1039111)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

....and so decided to stay anyways.